1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL 10meg allowance changing from 75Gb to unlimited

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by 5tephen, 5 May 2006.

1. 5tephen

Wise Guy

Don't think I've exceeded it, but yay nonetheless :)
    Can't find any other source (haven't looked that hard mind you) but I got an email from ntl 30 mins ago indicating that the usage allowance limit for 10 meg is being removed :)

2. Dark_Angel

Capodecina

asking on behalf of a friend, since I am on 10MB also, but is the 2MB service been upgraded in speed yet?

3. JonnyGLC

Mobster

No it gets the upgrade to 4mb on June 1st apparantly. :)

4. Jabbs

Sgarrista

Wish they would bring ntl over to my road, i had enouh of the max dsl rubbish how does ntl work, do u get the full 10 meg speed ?

5. JonnyGLC

Mobster

I don't, i hardly ever ever get over 500kb/s, and that's with a download manager using multiple connections. With a single connection using the firefox downloader i rarely see above 400kb/s :(

6. Jabbs

Sgarrista

Thats more due to he net though i would think, most of the time i have trouble getting it to max out the 3 meg i get on max.

7. JonnyGLC

Mobster

I get 1050kb/s from Blueyonder FTP which is the fastest i've seen it yet and the only time i've ever seen it even near 1000kb/s.

8. Phemo

Soldato

My NTL is pretty good. During the evenings my speeds tend to drop down to 600/700KB/sec but in late evenings and overnight/early morning I easily max out at 1250KB/sec.

9. daven1986

Mobster

im on the plusnet 8mb service and i get 800k easily! although am changing to 24mb next month (unlimited!!!) - oh yeahhhhhh!

daven

10. 3dcandy

Mobster

just got BT's 8 meg thingy...not too bad at moment!

11. magga

Associate

Im on NTL 10meg and often see 1200-1300Kb/Sec

12. RichieUK

Hitman

It's good that they're removing the cap but they will be introducing traffic shaping to their network in the near future :( :mad:

13. Dave2150

Sgarrista

Where did you hear this?

There was mention of traffic shaping on their website, but this was removed within a day after the cableforum spotted it and brought it to public attention.

14. RichieUK

Hitman

I can't find the thread on CableForum now. Although NTL removed the traffic shaping information from their site, people have said NTL/Telewest have already purchased traffic shaping hardware. I wouldn't of thought they'd buy it then not implement it because a thread was made about it and a few people got angry.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/249/ntl-u-turn-on-traffic-shaping-for-now

There's a bit more info there... it seems inevitable

15. afraser2k

Sgarrista

I expect traffic shaping sometime in the summer now thanks to this move, there's no way the NTL network could cope with true unlimited 10Mb. The only place I seem to get full speed is on FilePlanet using their download manager with everywhere else averaging about 100-200kb/s.

16. Tican

Soldato

Most places where I download i get 800kb/s as a minimum :confused:

17. 5tephen

Wise Guy

That is very true actually, I never thought about that :( There is indeed no way they could cope.
    I, as I said in my first post, do not ever reach my 75 Gb each month but the stuff that I do download, it's maxed at 1200-odd kb/s and I'd rather have flat-out limited downloads than unlimited but shaped traffic.