1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL in trials of a 100Mb service

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by bingham67, 5 Feb 2006.

1. bingham67

Soldato

2. Ricochet J

Capodecina

100mbps :eek: Good speed, bad news.
    P2P users surely?

3. Werewolf

Commissario

NTL would probably be in an ideal position to deploy connections at that speed if the cost of the equipment at the ends of the cables wasn't overly high.

IIRC their local boxes are less than 2-300 meters from any user as the cable runs, so if they could get the equipment into their boxes they would be laughing.

4. Lummux

Gangster

I think the current equipment is capable of 38 down and 10 up so it will mean replacing that, and all the STB's and cable modems.

But 100mb would be good, it would make vpn'ing to home much more attractive and offer a lot more mobility.

5. Skilldibop

Wise Guy

100Mbit over copper is pushing it. This may well just be a rumour as coax cable has only been developed to 10meg in the past. Without laying a fair bit more fibre i doubt this will be feasible as the bandwidth requirement will increase 10fold this bigger infastructure is needed.

6. Selekt0r

Wise Guy

What's the point in having a 100Mbit pipe into your house if you can only use its capacity for about 30 mins per month before your capped bandwidth usage runs out...?

7. james.miller

Capodecina

that's right. The box im connected to is is about 50meters away. Cable to that box, then the rest of it is fibre optic. NTL's optic network may actually start to pay off, and in a big way too.

8. bingham67

Soldato

Hopefully they would allow no limits or 300gb like one in sweden then it would be good :)

9. tolien

Caporegime

Without a lot more information, it all seems quite pointless.

10. Dave2150

Sgarrista

BT will be a laughing stock when/IF this launches.

Maximum NON TRIAL speeds are 2mbit at the moment, the 31st of march should see all exchanged upgraded for MAXDSL, so proably summer 06 for 20% of people or less to get 8mbit - while NTL already have 10mbit available and are working on 100mbit :o

11. 233

Capodecina

getting wood just thinking about it :)on 10meg atm which is great but 100 meg :) all my m8s are on ntl so would more or less be like having all my friends on a giant uber lan :)

12. Zefan

Don

NTL use optical...... no? Hence the need for a seprate line... not just through a phone line.

:edit: whoops just read link, I stand corrected.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2006
  13. Rich

Mobster

It would need to have realistic capping in place. Certainly well over the current 75gig. 10x the speed, 10x the limit? 750gig a month? Thats before calculating the upstream increase.

Its certainly getting exciting. At this rate, in a couple of years everyone will be on bonkersband and playing games online will be like being on a LAN :D

Good times ahead imho.

14. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Yep, information is the one thing that it could do with more of. 90% of that article is pure speculation.

15. Stellios

Capodecina

Hmm, this might just be a coincidence, but my mates telewest 10mb line keeeps jumping to 4mbps download speeds. Are telewest up to something too by any chance?

16. tolien

Caporegime

Yeah, traffic shaping :p
    Rumour has it they've acquired a set of Ellacoyas (of PlusNet fame). Fun to come.

Not sure on the BT being a laughing stock bit, not everyone wants maximum download speed over anything else. ;)

17. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Yeh, I'll point out these are trials, and there is no given percentage of availiabillity. Its also going to be bloody expensive.
    If you're going to start pointing fingers at who's behind, you might as well point at the UK. Japan has 1gb.

18. cymatty

Capodecina

Doubt it will happen, i still havent got my 10mb line yet, bunch of idiots. :mad:

19. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Anyone else think that their current ad is complete homogay?

20. afraser2k

Sgarrista

Don't be too glad when you get it either. Loads of people having problems with it apparently. :(