NTL in trials of a 100Mb service

Soldato
cymatty said:
Doubt it will happen, i still havent got my 10mb line yet, bunch of idiots. :mad:
I'm in manchester and i got my 10mb yesterday. There were multiple power cuts, which left my internet down for hours. When service finally did resume, i was downloading a patch for farcry, when i noticed it steadying out at the 1000kb/s mark.. i was kinda shocked.

Turns out i'm on the 10mb service, FINALLY, a month after they promised.

Associate
I some I read something last year about ntl trialing 100mbit, but they had fibre-to-the-home in a block of apartments or offices somewhere in London.

I may of course be completely wrong and imagining it all. :)

Soldato
I can just see it being "10 times the speed = 10 times the price". I know I would never pay much more than £30 per month for internet.
If everyone has download speeds like that, all the file hosting servers will need to be uber-upgraded to cope with demand, otherwise you'll have 100Mb download speed but be downloading at 10Mb speeds.

Soldato
tolien said:
Not sure on the BT being a laughing stock bit, not everyone wants maximum download speed over anything else. ;)

So you wouldnt want a 100mbitdown/10mbitup line? Right....

NTL have a reputation for provding low contention connections, certainly less problems than BT manage to get into (check ADSL guide for all the contention, RAS problems). This connection would be worth a hefty price premium IMO, for decent caps.

Soldato
Dave2150 said:
He did say "other people".
The main importance is not just the bandwidth, the capping is also a major factor. Whats the point in having a 100mb connection when you can only use it at full speed for a few hours a month?

Caporegime
Dave2150 said:

So you'd run purely on the basis of a headline speed? Right....
Dynamic IP, flaky email, naff webspace, no options for migration, extremely variable support. Hardly compelling reasons to shift.

Not going to get into the NTL vs BT thing. Much as you can't (won't) see it, both have plenty of merits.

Caporegime
2Mbps, 256kbps ADSL.
Could get NTL 10Mbps (upgrades already done), but don't. Could bond another line (or more than one), but don't.

Associate
pings rules on cable.
a few ms on your ping is nothing, it's throughput and stability that matters for gaming.
Ping is an excuse for Poor players. "Oooo it's the new low ping, i'm not used to it yet." Or "it's not my fault it's my high ping"
Hand-eye reaction time is measured in 100s of ms so 10ms either way on your ping isn't going to make a blind bit of difference.

Reverting back to the point, If connection goes up 10 fold and backbone infatructure doesn't then contiention goes up 10fold instead. Without major upgrades and subsiquent disruption and buggyness 100meg won't happen. Would also probably need wall to wall fibre which is yet further work.

Associate
Skilldibop said:
a few ms on your ping is nothing, it's throughput and stability that matters for gaming.
Ping is an excuse for Poor players. "Oooo it's the new low ping, i'm not used to it yet." Or "it's not my fault it's my high ping"
Hand-eye reaction time is measured in 100s of ms so 10ms either way on your ping isn't going to make a blind bit of difference.

Reverting back to the point, If connection goes up 10 fold and backbone infatructure doesn't then contiention goes up 10fold instead. Without major upgrades and subsiquent disruption and buggyness 100meg won't happen. Would also probably need wall to wall fibre which is yet further work.

I didnt say anything about pings in games i just meant whenever im on my friends NTL connection the pings on it are usually 10-15 yet after being on 4 different ADSL ISP's ive never had lower then an average of 30, hense why id rather be on cable then adsl since cable isnt available where i live.

Soldato
tolien said:
So you'd run purely on the basis of a headline speed? Right....
Dynamic IP, flaky email, naff webspace, no options for migration, extremely variable support. Hardly compelling reasons to shift.

Not going to get into the NTL vs BT thing. Much as you can't (won't) see it, both have plenty of merits.

I doubt you would be able to see/understand my side of the argument either, so lets leave it like that shall we? :rolleyes:

Soldato
The Mad One said:
I didnt say anything about pings in games i just meant whenever im on my friends NTL connection the pings on it are usually 10-15 yet after being on 4 different ADSL ISP's ive never had lower then an average of 30, hense why id rather be on cable then adsl since cable isnt available where i live.

Totally agree with you there.

I very occasionaly get a 24ms ping to Jolt/multiplayer servers, but mostly around the 30ms mark tbh.

My m8's on cable enjoy 10-20ms pings typically.

Back
Top Bottom