NTL in trials of a 100Mb service

Associate
Ping depends where your connection routes through, and the distances involved. No matter the connection speed or type if your ping is below 30 or probably 50ms then it's completely un noticable to the human brain through vision or touch. The only time you notice a difference is when your ping gets near 100 and beyond. Most of the time this is due to packet overspill and retransmission not true latency.

Soldato
Keylow said:
Well I am on DSL and if I get a CSS server from *** top if the list when filtered by ping, I can achive 8-10ms.

Post screenshows of your pings to an IP we can all test then please.

8-10ms? Highly doubtful, I bet the game is reporting it wrong.

Associate
Keylow said:
Well I am on DSL and if I get a CSS server from *** top if the list when filtered by ping, I can achive 8-10ms.

I'm on cable as well and i must say that CSS pings are very accurate at all. Especially if your going by the ones displayed on the score board. A few of us who play regularly and on 8/10mb packages often get sub 10ms pings, although as said this is partly down to the route you take and the peering of the network that the server is hosted on.

Personally i think NTL should finish off the upgrade for 10meg first. They already beat ADSL in terms of pure speed but there support and extra services are extremely poor.

Permabanned
Phnom_Penh said:
2mb? I thought you had something fancy :p.

He has Zen.

NTL has advantages in that it can provide high speeds but only to a few areas. But atleast they have planned for the future, the copper lines are a joke which means slower speeds and even with ADSL2+ they arn't going to get much better for long lines. But I have 8 static IP addesses, free News server and no caps.

Soldato
iamgud said:
He has Zen.
that it? :p
iamgud said:
NTL has advantages in that it can provide high speeds but only to a few areas.

But atleast they have planned for the future, the copper lines are a joke which means slower speeds and even with ADSL2+ they arn't going to get much better for long lines.

Those two seem to cancel each other out, Both can do high speed, but not to all areas. tbh, ADSL is better in terms of availability.

Caporegime
Phnom_Penh said:

For here, er yep, though I don't see what it has to do with this thread.
Might I suggest returning to the topic at hand, as opposed to obsessing over my connection? :p

Soldato
I think the way NTL will be pushing this is more for a converged television/internet service, where they stream the TV to your house with multicast, whilst allowing for high speed internet through the same line, its only a matter of time..

Associate
Are we looking at around 6-12 months for mainstream rollout? Because article says trial starts next month. It will be very interesting to see what the upstream will be.

Associate
I think a 100mb service would be used to pave the way for NTL to offer a High Definition TV on demand service. HDTV movie can be anything from 15gb to 40gb so a 100mb line would be able to stream that with ease.

Back
Top Bottom