Number of drinks needed to give you a hangover?

Associate
Well ladies and gents, how many alcoholic drinks are needed to give you a hangover?

Please also describe the severity of your hangover.

For the lager drinkers, does mixing brands make your hangover worse?

Any drinks that are guaranteed to result in a hangover for you.

Mods: please add a poll. Options:
1 - 3
4 - 6
6 +
Potato
Pancake

Urgh. Peroni is a 3 day hangover, complete with added self loathing and anxiety. In fact same goes for every mass produced lager these days.

Micro brewed ales, lagers and IPAs however are much better going. Nothing a fry up, 3 cups of tea and a little nap can't fix.

Soldato
6+
I rarely drink 6 plus for that very reason. Usually 4 or 5 is the maximum when out and about in the bars. I had 5 pints yesterday between 2 and 4. I was in bed asleep by 8!

Associate
OP
Urgh. Peroni is a 3 day hangover, complete with added self loathing and anxiety. In fact same goes for every mass produced lager these days.

Micro brewed ales, lagers and IPAs however are much better going. Nothing a fry up, 3 cups of tea and a little nap can't fix.

I usually find that when I'm being a craft beer ****** those affect me worse the next day.

I'm cutting down on the drinking nowadays anyway as I'm too old for this stuff now.

Permabanned
When I was naughty and used to take the devils dandruff (not proud of it) while drinking I never used to get hangovers. Now I only have to have about 6+ pints. All depends what I'm drinking really and if I'm mixing, there are a few factors.

OP have you just woken up from a Saturday night binge and feeling sorry for yourself? :D

Soldato
before I was 30 never had a hangover, just some nasty comedowns ;)
Now I get evil hangovers if I drink spirits, if I stick to guiness i feel dandy in the morning.

Man of Honour
Depends a lot on what I drink - even 2 good sized glasses of red wine will result in some sort of hangover but not very significant and even a lot of it just makes me feel a bit lethargic the next day while it takes around what would be 10 measures of spirits to get a noticeable hangover from that but when I do drink enough spirits to cause a noticeable hangover it really bites - really do feel "depleted" like its deep inside your bones but I don't really get a headache or anything like that from it. Beer/Lager probably around 6+ to have a noticeable effect the next day but that is one of the worst as I feel quite "foggy" and out of it in general with a headache, etc. if I have a hangover from that.

EDIT: Honey on toast is a great hangover cure for me - chuck in some vitamin tablets and a good size glass of orange juice and I'm usually on my feet for the most part.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Southerner identified.

@SexyGreyFox I was more interested in the low end rather than massive drinkers.

I've never drank enough to get a hangover.
I have drank enough to get a spinning bedroom and also to be sick.

From my experience of observing other people who get a hangover where you look like a Zombie the following day, you must have drunk so much you couldn't remember what you did.

Man of Honour
Years ago I put it it away all night and shake it off in the morning. Nowadays a shandy leaves me wrecked the next morning.

#oldfartsunited

Back
Top Bottom