Nvidia 30X0 series waterblocks

Soldato
Found one for the Tuf 30X0 series:

119218001_3275248732541721_1472629991383745052_o.jpg

In the same post EK has posted that their will be a strix and Tuf blocks available shortly so just gotta wait...

Soldato
Great stuff. What's the ETA on your Asus card?
Morning bud, not got one yet. Not even received an email confirmation. Payments been taken though. Late last night Gibbo mentioned he would update us all on availability once he has a chat with board partners and nvidia. At a guess some of us will be waiting a little while for one. You might be one of the lucky ones if you got your order in before 4pm.

Associate
The launch was pretty shady. NVidia's "notify me" ---> 5 ms later ---> "out of stock"
All the UK e-retailers playing 'rising tide' games with prices.
Scalpers on eBay with dudes (rightfully) bidding £50,000 just to mess up their auction.

It was a real popcorn moment. But I also appreciate that the launch was a big let down and disappointment to many enthusiasts than honestly wanted a card for themselves to enjoy. Not a cool way for either the manufacturers or retailers to treat their customers.

To everyone that got a 3080 at a fair price, congrats and I hope you enjoy that 4K goodness. I am interested to see performance beyond all those usual suspects AAA games.

But I am really super chill just watching the piranhas feast at the moment.
I didn't panic sell my 2080 Ti. It still works fine and does the job. It's got 11GB of GDDR6. :D
Yes... mine goes to 11.
2011-11-11_nigel_tufnel_eleven-e1321032102834.gif

LOLs. If you didn't snag one, take it easy, be patient and just watch... things are moving quite fast in this area of technology. Really we should be counting our blessings... we have come a long way from Vic-20s!

Associate
I think it's simply the reduced metal on the Eisberg. It just covers select parts of the graphics card rather than having the block covering essentially the entire thing. Seems to me they've passed the cost saving of materials onto the customer (they even include the backplate).

I can't imagine performance is all that different either.

Associate
do we know if ftw3 ultra and regular ftw3 come with the same pcb, i quess they do? Does EVGA or any other manufacturer actually bin their chips for regular cards? Other than the highest ones like lightning or kingpin?
Since I want to watercool and the msi gaming x trio is a joke that only leaves ftw3 and strix that might come with decent vrm and have 3x 8 pin, not interested in sitting powerlimited like all the 2x8 pin cards and the gaming x trio (that has 3x8 pin but msi made the vrm so bad on the cards that it sits on 350w due to poor vrm and i have no interest in that one)
Also not interested in paying 1700 or 1800€ for the 3090 that might have better availability due to price, but payingbdouble for 15% performance makes no sense for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
do we know if ftw3 ultra and regular ftw3 come with the same pcb, i quess they do? Does EVGA or any other manufacturer actually bin their chips for regular cards? Other than the highest ones like lightning or kingpin?
Since I want to watercool and the msi gaming x trio is a joke that only leaves ftw3 and strix that might come with decent vrm and have 3x 8 pin, not interested in sitting powerlimited like all the 2x8 pin cards and the gaming x trio (that has 3x8 pin but msi made the vrm so bad on the cards that it sits on 350w due to poor vrm and i have no interest in that one)
Also not interested in paying 1700 or 1800€ for the 3090 that might have better availability due to price, but payingbdouble for 15% performance makes no sense for me.
Bought my first ftw cardz not the ultra. I assumed the ultra was just a mild (20Mhz?) Factory OC and for cost difference of £20 the PCB was the same?

A fuse blew in my mind with a GPU at £800 vs £779.99 lol

Associate
FTW3 and FTW3 Ultra same PCB to be sure.
Binning beyond the Kingpin, Lightning, HOF... not sure. Think so, but not sure.

I know for sure that the 3080 FTW3 / FTW3 Ultra currently has a bios power limit of 420W. (And also read the the 3090 FTW3 / FTW3 Ultra 440W for anyone interested.) That according to that Jacob community manager guy. Other boards I don't know. Seeing at the power limit is the limiting factor on basic over clocks you would think that the manufacturers would tell you... but oh no... LOLs. And you would hope that reviewers would tell you, but so far I have not heard that mentions by one for the reviewers.

Soldato
Anyone waterblocked a 3080 yet? The closest I'm likely to get to one for a while is some photos or video :(
Same, im still in the queue at ocuk but gonna keep an eye out on the nvidia site if it comes up again. Can always cancel if i can get one elsewhere.

I just saw a buy now button on nvidia store. I have a screenshot, but it just opened an empty pop up with lots of js errors.
Yeah its a bug, i had this on the 17th.. heart skipped a beat lol!

Associate
Same, im still in the queue at ocuk but gonna keep an eye out on the nvidia site if it comes up again. Can always cancel if i can get one elsewhere.
To be honest, part of me is now tempted to wait it out and see what AMD offer, or see if these '3080 with more VRAM' rumours turn out to be true. Had my 1080Ti for a while, would have liked to upgrade but maybe the lack of 3080 stock right now will prove to be a silver lining.

Soldato
To be honest, part of me is now tempted to wait it out and see what AMD offer, or see if these '3080 with more VRAM' rumours turn out to be true. Had my 1080Ti for a while, would have liked to upgrade but maybe the lack of 3080 stock right now will prove to be a silver lining.
I know what you mean, im thinking the same. Availability will get better its just a matter of when.. Scalpers are really not helping the situation not that they can sell them at the moment lol.

Judging by the numbers from the other post... im about number 9000ish in the queue :eek:...

Associate
@Jay85 Gives me an opportunity to finally muster up the courage to git my waterblock to my 1080Ti! Having never fitted a GPU waterblock, something about it is making me nervous as I don't want to brick a 1080Ti FTW3! I guess the reality is that it's no more difficult than building a PC or the rest of the custom loop, but something about it is making me a bit nervous!

If I could have picked up a 3080 I probably would have done, got a work colleague desparate to buy my 1080Ti off me, but he'd want it with the air cooler. If I'd got the 3080, I'd have sold him the 1080Ti and put the block/back plate on MM or ebay.

Soldato
@Jay85 Gives me an opportunity to finally muster up the courage to git my waterblock to my 1080Ti! Having never fitted a GPU waterblock, something about it is making me nervous as I don't want to brick a 1080Ti FTW3! I guess the reality is that it's no more difficult than building a PC or the rest of the custom loop, but something about it is making me a bit nervous!

If I could have picked up a 3080 I probably would have done, got a work colleague desparate to buy my 1080Ti off me, but he'd want it with the air cooler. If I'd got the 3080, I'd have sold him the 1080Ti and put the block/back plate on MM or ebay.
Honestly its not that difficult, no harder than taking off your cooler to repaste and reassemble. The only thing you gotta look out for is making sure its seated correctly and not pushing against anything, it should lay level and should cover the major components on the board with either paste or thermal pads which is supplied with the kit. One other thing to note is making sure the block is screwed together properly... i've had a few times where screws were loose and hence the orings were not being "squashed" down properly and probably would have leaked if i had filled it with water.

It's a sorry state but we're gonna be looking at 1-2 months at least before we can even think about waterblocking the cards we get. I don't even want to get a block right now incase the card i get isn't compatible with it as things are changing everyday.

Associate
Der8auer's review says that Asus thermal pads get ripped during disassemble. So this might be an issue if you need to put it back together.

Back
Top Bottom