Nvidia 30xx and vr.

Soldato
Anyone looking at one of these to use with vr? Thinking of getting the 3080 myself along with the hp reverb g2 for my sim game.

Yep. 3080 with Zen 3 mobo/CPU or 3090 and stick with current. Probably stick with the quest as it's dead easy to drive and 72hz doesn't bother me like some.

Soldato
If you're getting a 3080, I'd definitely upgrade to a Reverb or Index.

Running a 3080 with a Quest feels like a gigantic waste.

Soldato
I guess the have we enough horses to pull the G2 question got answered. The only way up from the 20ti is to drop on the 3090, so that's what it'll be.

My top desire is to see ATS absolutely 100% stutter free. That mostly works out away from the cities, but am i hoping the cpu load gets shovelled to the card for a perfect ride. Also maxing out PC/AMS2 on the Index/G2 with perfect performance is going to be dreamy.

Soldato
I may jump on a 3090. So I can turn everything up to 11 in DCS with a rift. Hoping that there is a decent upgraded headset soon

Soldato
Why? I can have really high SS with a solid 72 framerate without reprojected frames.

There is a bit limitation to supersampling and visual fidelity. My Index looks infinitley better than my Quest did at the highest supersampling I could do.

Really, just try a Reverb or Index and it will explain better the gulf in class and visual fidelity than what I can bother to write here. And if you don't like them, you can return them (or sell the Index on ebay for more than you paid for it).

The quest is nice, but its using a vive pro display, which is very last gen. Outside of its beautiful OLED panel, its terrible compared to the big boys.

I can't get behind the logic of a £650+ GPU powering one of the lowest end sold visual fidelity experiences of VR personally.

FYI I've owned CV1, Quest, Index, Rift S and a for a shortish period of time played with a Vive.

Associate
I may jump on a 3090. So I can turn everything up to 11 in DCS with a rift. Hoping that there is a decent upgraded headset soon
Thinking about the 3090 myself for DCS - not sure that the DCS software is gonna utilise all that horse power though?

Soldato
I'm looking at the 3080 as an upgrade for my EVGA 1080ti FTW3, as it's struggling to run sims like Project Cars 2, Elite, and IL2 on the Index at decent frame rates and detail levels. (let alone MS Flight Simulator when that releases for VR).

However the prospect of a 3080ti with more RAM and better performance is making me think it might be better to wait. I'm not convinced that 10gb (1gb LESS than my current card) will be enough for VR resolutions.

Soldato
There is a bit limitation to supersampling and visual fidelity. My Index looks infinitley better than my Quest did at the highest supersampling I could do.

Really, just try a Reverb or Index and it will explain better the gulf in class and visual fidelity than what I can bother to write here. And if you don't like them, you can return them (or sell the Index on ebay for more than you paid for it).

The quest is nice, but its using a vive pro display, which is very last gen. Outside of its beautiful OLED panel, its terrible compared to the big boys.

I can't get behind the logic of a £650+ GPU powering one of the lowest end sold visual fidelity experiences of VR personally.

FYI I've owned CV1, Quest, Index, Rift S and a for a shortish period of time played with a Vive.

because I play other games than just VR :confused: I could say why have you got an Index and just a 2080 :p

Soldato
because I play other games than just VR :confused: I could say why have you got an Index and just a 2080 :p

My 2080 powers my Index fine for nearly every single game. Well actually, every single game I have in my library (including HLA, Asgards Wrath, Boneworks). If it didn't, I'd completely agree with you.

I heard this very outdated notion that supersampling makes up for lack of resolution on the panel or is a magical upgrade to IQ. Its not and it has diminishing returns very quickly.

The Quest is one of the worst looking VR headsets still sold with a really poor refresh rate. If you are packing a 3080, surely unless you need the extra headroom from the 3080, it'd be smarter to go down to the 3070, or even a second hand 2080/2080ti and grab a better VR headset which is substantially better with the savings + the money sold on the Quest.

Each to their own though. I'm always perplexed how people run these beautiful powerful GPUs capable of displaying beautiful images... but then couple them with an awful display (this applies to the monitor and VR world).

I remember seeing someone with SLI 2080tis and their setup had some rubbish little monitor with a crap contrast. etc.

Not meaning to offend here.. Just think if you go for the 3080.. you could extract so much better performance, visual fidelity, fluidity and immersion by switching up the headset. But if you're happy with Quest, then have a good time :)

Soldato
My 2080 powers my Index fine for nearly every single game. Well actually, every single game I have in my library (including HLA, Asgards Wrath, Boneworks). If it didn't, I'd completely agree with you.

I heard this very outdated notion that supersampling makes up for lack of resolution on the panel or is a magical upgrade to IQ. Its not and it has diminishing returns very quickly.

The Quest is one of the worst looking VR headsets still sold with a really poor refresh rate. If you are packing a 3080, surely unless you need the extra headroom from the 3080, it'd be smarter to go down to the 3070, or even a second hand 2080/2080ti and grab a better VR headset which is substantially better with the savings + the money sold on the Quest.

Each to their own though. I'm always perplexed how people run these beautiful powerful GPUs capable of displaying beautiful images... but then couple them with an awful display (this applies to the monitor and VR world).

I remember seeing someone with SLI 2080tis and their setup had some rubbish little monitor with a crap contrast. etc.

Not meaning to offend here.. Just think if you go for the 3080.. you could extract so much better performance, visual fidelity, fluidity and immersion by switching up the headset. But if you're happy with Quest, then have a good time :)

:confused: I have a C9.

Associate
I'm looking at the 3080 as an upgrade for my EVGA 1080ti FTW3, as it's struggling to run sims like Project Cars 2, Elite, and IL2 on the Index at decent frame rates and detail levels. (let alone MS Flight Simulator when that releases for VR).

However the prospect of a 3080ti with more RAM and better performance is making me think it might be better to wait. I'm not convinced that 10gb (1gb LESS than my current card) will be enough for VR resolutions.

That's my position also, running an Index on a 1080ti. My whole system is due an upgrade, and I'm expecting the new system to run the current gen of VR and the next gen if they appear.

I'm ok muddling along with the 1080ti at the moment. The 3080 doesn't tempt me due to limited Ram, though I'll wait for the reviews. I can't justify a 3090. A 3080ti may fill the gap, but it could be a few months off.

But when I settle on a card I'll be spending 1.5k-2k on a whole new system.

Soldato

FWIW I tested PC2 with everything maxed and left my 136% SS in place. Loaded up a 20 car grid at Long Beach in a thunderstorm and tested both day and night racing on the Reverb....

7.4gb maximum vram usage on my 1080ti and around 30fps.

The good news is that 10gb vram is more than enough for PC2. The bad news is I don't think even the 3090 can hold 90fps on the reverb with PC2 under worst-case scenario. (although 3080/3090 will probably be able to handle PC2 maxed in day/good weather races)

Soldato
FWIW I tested PC2 with everything maxed and left my 136% SS in place. Loaded up a 20 car grid at Long Beach in a thunderstorm and tested both day and night racing on the Reverb....

7.4gb maximum vram usage on my 1080ti and around 30fps.

The good news is that 10gb vram is more than enough for PC2. The bad news is I don't think even the 3090 can hold 90fps on the reverb with PC2 under worst-case scenario. (although 3080/3090 will probably be able to handle PC2 maxed in day/good weather races)

Thanks, that's very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom