• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 8600 GTS arrived at OcUK Today!!

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

They are currently on trial as they have offered to improve greatly. :)

Old dog never changes it's tricks ;)

7900 and 7950 series have more longevity than we expected, since these cards still manage to be competitive with the newcomer. DirectX 10 is the only differentiator

This bears true but rings the question what the hell is the point if it dosn't have a hells chance of running anything DX10.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

We shall sell them but hold very small amounts and won't promote the product. Why promote something when their is a superior better product for less money, like the X1950 Pro?

So for us this product will be something we offer but not something we try to push if you get my drift unless its performance dramatically improves with new drivers or something.

I see, well you never know, if Nvidia release some decent drivers, the benchmarks may go up quite abit :D, its either that, or as Tom|Nbk said, its a Lemon, I dont know what Nvidia was thinking when they created this card :o

Soldato
Slackworth said:
No longer the old dog anymore;). There are some new people into Asus UK.

Well that does sound promising, this could mean better things all around as i take it they will offer other Asus product support with the "new" people in the UK aswell?

Soldato
easyrider said:
Its a quick test to determin the speed of a gfx in general.

Its about game perfromance but 3d mark is a useful tool to use.

3D Mark is a synthetic benchmark so really has no relation as to how a particular card will perform in games.

Associate
128 bit memory bus is what's crippling the 8600's true potential tbh.

256MB GDDR3 running at 2000Mhz on a 128 bit memory bus will give the same results as 256MB GDDR3 running at 1000Mhz on a 256 bit bus = 32GB/s of memory bandwidth.

For the right price (£110'ish) I'd of bought one to just see how far it could be pushed since they're meant to be great overclockers, but £160 is crawling to deep into GTS 320MB territory for my liking.

Associate
Gibbo said:
HI there

Thankfully only 10pcs.

What can I say, apart from buy an X1950 Pro instead. :)

P.S. Price ammended!

Gibbo, I think thats really good of you to drop the price so quickly because we all complained at the original price. Keep up the good work :)

Associate
The BFG versions are more reasonably priced (included an X1950Pro for comparison)...

8600.png

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-046-BG
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-047-BG

Soldato
easyrider said:
Thats true,

But its an idicator of a cards general performance.

Aye, but say that card is scoring 7k in 06, then you load up a game slap on the AA/AF before you know it your hitting the frame buffer limit and the games crippled perhaps the 8600 ultra (if there is one) can produce what people want and be the card the 8600 should have been :( .

Soldato
Slackworth said:
No longer the old dog anymore;). There are some new people into Asus UK.

Sorry but nothing has changed.

Im currently trying to return a card under the 3 year manufacturer warranty ( the place i got it from went bust about a year ago ) and so far asus wont even talk to me. Im now in the process of getting trading standards involved and they are looking at a possible prosecution under the trade descriptions act for false advertising. They promise a 3 year warranty that is impossible to get them to honour.

I had this same hassle with them last year but luckily that time i was able to trace the supplier to my supplier ( if that makes sense ) and they sorted a replacement out for me. This card however has no sticker so i dunno who the supplier got it from. I bought two cards at the time time about 2.5 years ago and now both have failed.

Asus wont even talk to you about anything other than laptops or TFT screens. There is no actual RMA procedure in the UK and the one advertised phone number either gets you told that they cant help or gets you cut off. :mad:

Caporegime
So its a dx10 card with practically no chance of running dx10 games decently. :confused:

Have to laugh at the stalker sticker on the heatsink though, pretty much saying it can run stalker, doesn't tell you that it'll be lucky to get 20fps looking at a wall.

Associate
This is only useful to take screenshots that you have directx10 hardware only I think :)

Edit: Almost forgot! And to watch the DX10 demos from nvidia site!

Caporegime
drak3 said:
This is only useful to take screenshots that you have directx10 hardware only I think :)

:D

I think the dx10 name is just being milked here for all its worth. I really dunno why both companies bring out ass slow cards and sell them for way over the odds, just a devious little scheme to suck people in becuase it has dx10 on the box.

Associate
do any of know how dx10 works???
DX10 is surrpose to make games run faster
allowing the games to use memory, haardisk,cpu and gpu effeciently

dx10 will give the cpu less work and among other stuff

Back
Top Bottom