1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA 8600 GTS arrived at OcUK Today!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Gibbo, 13 Apr 2007.

1. Gibbo

Commissario

Hi there

Well maybe, we never know lets wait until some proper reviews come out I guess, but 128-bit interface is certainly crippling.

I forsee this card will sell extremely well due to the marketing hype behind it regarding DX10, so expect to see lots selling in PC world and them been built into systems claiming DX10 ready etc.

2. Gibbo

Commissario

Hi there

BOTH NV and ATI have uber duber cards in the pipeline which may or may not get released in the near future.

3. Lolcb

Wise Guy

For once, that is true, these cards and the upcoming 8300 series cards are targeted at a market(mainstream) like dell/pcworld etc where everyone just goes in and get a system for vista.

4. gurusan

Capodecina

Yes in the past the budget performance cards have still managed to crawl ahead slightly of the previous mid-high end cards...for example the 7600GT is better than a 6800GS, but certainly not by a large amount

...but now cards are getting quite powerful and I don't think its possible any longer with a 128bit memory bus.

5. Dyson

Soldato

Just my luck. Ready to build new comp, all bits in spare room, apart from gpu. May as wait a few weeks then, rather than spend £400+ on something thats out of date in a week :(

6. V|per

Mobster

is there any point in downgrading? :D

(as dual 76gt's are coming close to 79gtx performance... )

7. Richdog

Caporegime

Buty the cheapest 8800GTS you can find on the interweb and you'll barely lose anythin gwhen you sell it in 2 months. They're already cheap as it is.

8. Dyson

Soldato

Hadn't thought of that :o Cheers!

9. jrodga2k5

Sgarrista

Bought mines for £180 on release now I wonder how much it would fetch, im guessing £170, damn £10 loss lol :D

10. Dyson

Soldato

Why would someone buy a 2nd hand card with only £10 off though?? I know I wouldn't.

11. jrodga2k5

Sgarrista

lol that auction site you can certainly do so ;)

12. Darkwave

Capodecina

Not to mention some are going on MM for about that much too. ;)

13. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Looks like Gibbo's gota suspend himself for breaking competitor rules. :D :D

14. cobxx

Gangster

Hehe, glad I didn't wait to see the pricing of these and went ahead and got a X1900XT of the echo.

Looking at the specs on OCUK, that card looks awesome. Think a big "DON'T BUY" label has to be put on the picture though! I can see these selling quite well though... as someone said, remember the FX5200. They still sold, just cause they were DX9, even though everyone should have got a ti 4200 for the same kind of money! We don't need DX10 cards yet, but they will still sell.

Oh, and easy, I appreciate what you're saying about the ocing, but I'm pretty sure they still won't be that amazing even after the ocing.Oh, and heres the cooler they used:

[​IMG]

Looks like a pretty beefy cooler. Mind you, 34C at idle is quite impressive after the volt mod! I'm sure you could take it at least to 1.4V with the stock cooler, and get a pretty healthy oc out of it.

The problem is though, the 128 bus is still gonna cripple it, no matter how fast you can get the card.Can't see it having much of lifespan for games either. Come on nvidia, release a 256-bit version, and everyone will be a lot happier, I'm sure! (unless maybe the G84 was such a bad design, they are just trying to cover up their mistakes by making everyone think the poor performance is due to the 128-bit bus!)

15. Dyson

Soldato

Didn't notice it first time round :D

16. Tom|Nbk

Capodecina

Oh dear Gibbo. tut. tut.

17. Darkwave

Capodecina

Hehe, so much for "a simple pencil mod my little sister could do." ;)

18. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

We'll see you in 7 days Gibbo, see if you can persuade AMD/ATi to let you tell us some info about the R600 when yer let yourself back in. :D

19. Gerard

Caporegime

Tsk Tsk thats clearly a regular home system any average joe has. :p

20. easyrider

Caporegime

You just don't know when to stop do you.

The voltmod is easy to do and water cooling a gfx card is no biggy either.