• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 8600 GTS arrived at OcUK Today!!

Caporegime
cobxx said:
Oh, and easy, I appreciate what you're saying about the ocing, but I'm pretty sure they still won't be that amazing even after the ocing.Oh, and heres the cooler they used:

Good grief what about people with water loops.

That has been updated as they said the 1ghz was achived on the stock cooler when I read it.

Soldato
wantedposterbe6.jpg

Oh dear.

Soldato
easyrider said:
You just don't know when to stop do you.

The voltmod is easy to do and water cooling a gfx card is no biggy either.
How was that trolling? It's on topic and it's something you said!

There is nothing "simple pencil mod" about that picture, deal with it. :rolleyes:

Soldato
cobxx said:
Hehe, glad I didn't wait to see the pricing of these and went ahead and got a X1900XT of the echo.

Looking at the specs on OCUK, that card looks awesome. Think a big "DON'T BUY" label has to be put on the picture though! I can see these selling quite well though... as someone said, remember the FX5200. They still sold, just cause they were DX9, even though everyone should have got a ti 4200 for the same kind of money! We don't need DX10 cards yet, but they will still sell.

Oh, and easy, I appreciate what you're saying about the ocing, but I'm pretty sure they still won't be that amazing even after the ocing.Oh, and heres the cooler they used:

22.jpg

Looks like a pretty beefy cooler. Mind you, 34C at idle is quite impressive after the volt mod! I'm sure you could take it at least to 1.4V with the stock cooler, and get a pretty healthy oc out of it.

The problem is though, the 128 bus is still gonna cripple it, no matter how fast you can get the card.Can't see it having much of lifespan for games either. Come on nvidia, release a 256-bit version, and everyone will be a lot happier, I'm sure! (unless maybe the G84 was such a bad design, they are just trying to cover up their mistakes by making everyone think the poor performance is due to the 128-bit bus!)
So if you use a cooler like the one above the 8600GTS can be overclocked to match the performance of an X1950Pro or 7900GT? I can see an 8700GTS coming arround soon then (similar to the 5600Ultra to 5700Ultra change back in the day)

Soldato
Have to agree with what has been said already, piddle poor performance for the price.

I noticed OCUK don't stock the X1950GT as of yet which is exactly the same at the X1950Pro just clocked very slightly lower, these can be had for £85 inc. VAT and offer amazing value for money, and they overclock really well also. Fitted one into a system last week for a friend and it reached 635Mhz core and 1500MHz on the RAM, which even beats the Pro version at £20 more.

OCUK... or Gibbo, if you want value cards get these!!!

Soldato
Gerard said:
So its a dx10 card with practically no chance of running dx10 games decently. :confused:

Have to laugh at the stalker sticker on the heatsink though, pretty much saying it can run stalker, doesn't tell you that it'll be lucky to get 20fps looking at a wall.

My 7900GS can run stalker fine and the 8600GTS should be compairable.

Soldato
Lolcb said:
For once, that is true, these cards and the upcoming 8300 series cards are targeted at a market(mainstream) like dell/pcworld etc where everyone just goes in and get a system for vista.

Yeah unfortunately the naeive are always the ones conned into buying poor systems.

Friend of a friend recently spent £1000 on a PC from that brown sauce company under the guise that it was the best they had, turns out it was actually a pretty **** system and if he had asked i could have built him one 10x better for less.

C2D E4300, 2Gb ram, Gefroce 7100, 250Gb HDD, Onboard Sound, TV Tuner Card and some other junk for a grand. Day light robbery imho.

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
How was that trolling? It's on topic and it's something you said!

There is nothing "simple pencil mod" about that picture, deal with it. :rolleyes:

I'd really stop it mate, it's not worth losing your account over. :)

I'm shocked at the price of these, I honestly thought they'd be closer to £100 to at least give them a chance of selling, but I really think they'll struggle at that price.

Looks like i'm going to have to see what's in the red corner before I upgrade. :D

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Sorry but the fact it only has 128-bit memory interface says it all to me. This card will be useless for anything over 1024x768 resolution. The fact it has 2000MHz memory is irrelevant when the interface is only 128-bit. Basically like running a Ferrari on diesel. :eek:

but still the resulting bandwidth is what should be looked at, 2ghz ram on 128bit memory interface is still a lot of bandwidth. look how a 7600gt with 128bit memory interface at 1.4ghz ram manages to out pace a 6800ultra that has 256bit memory interface.

and im sure the 8 series is more efficient in its use of memory bandwidth too.

Back
Top Bottom