• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Well apart from the UK, most of the rest of the world 2080tis are currently only £600.

I managed to nab a 3 month old one yesterday for £550. I can see the cheapest AIB's on here creeping up past that sort of price between now and release time if the 3080 release is anything to go by.

Soldato
Honestly it looks almost artificial how the performance is EXACTLY the same vs 2080 ti in both min & avg, at least from the HUB review. Decent card as expected but that 8 GB buffer is just painful.

Soldato
Honestly it looks almost artificial how the performance is EXACTLY the same vs 2080 ti in both min & avg, at least from the HUB review. Decent card as expected but that 8 GB buffer is just painful.
Well yeah, Nvidia have always been the masters of cutting bits off to get exactly the performance they want. You don't ever get anything for free. AMD have been a bit more slack on that front, relying on software power and clock limits that people inevitably find a way to bypass.

Seems about even with the 2080 Ti stock versus stock, but the Gamers Nexus review suggests it falls behind overclock versus overclock.

GAC

GAC

Soldato

so much for 2nd gen rt and tensor cores, looks like they aimed directly for 2080ti performance across the board, cheap sods.

cant grumble about the 8gigs of ram to be honest but for the price. but you'd expect a bump over the 2080ti's rt and dlss performance with the 2nd gen rt and tensor cores. oh well. time to sit back and watch the "exchange rate" push up ocuk's profit margins again.

Soldato
I'm gonna try get an FE card now that performance is as promised. £469 is good value.

Have two systems so a 3070 and maybe upgrade the 5700XT if AMD cards are decent.

Shows that Ampere hasn't scaled well, given GA104 is doing so well. 3090 should be closer to 2x as good.

Given 3070 has quite a low TBP, might overclock well once power is unlocked.

Caporegime
Well yeah, Nvidia have always been the masters of cutting bits off to get exactly the performance they want. You don't ever get anything for free. AMD have been a bit more slack on that front, relying on software power and clock limits that people inevitably find a way to bypass.

Seems about even with the 2080 Ti stock versus stock, but the Gamers Nexus review suggests it falls behind overclock versus overclock.

Which was exactly what I said it would be. I knew as soon as all the slides were stock vs stock with the 3080 and the smoke and mirrors.

The 3000 series is pre overclocked for everybody and there is very little juice left in the tank.

Looks like oc vs oc its 10% slower than the 2080ti even in RT games. Still, good performance for the price (if you can get one for sub £500) compared to a card which cost £1200 a couple of years ago

Last edited:
Soldato
The bottom line is that Ampere money is much faster than Turing money. Nvidia have *really* pushed their cards to make it happen, but the price/performance of Ampere makes Turing look silly.

Soldato

That’s what I see when looking at the reviews.

You can easily get 10-15% from overclocking a 2080Ti. Ampere doesn’t OC all that well. Not sure a 3070 with its smaller memory bus and lesser true cudas would get the same gains.

Still a very fast card for the money though.

Still painful for 2080Ti owners. 3080 isn’t quite the performance leap I want and 3090 is way too expensive.

Caporegime
That’s what I see when looking at the reviews.

You can easily get 10-15% from overclocking a 2080Ti. Ampere doesn’t OC all that well. Not sure a 3070 with its smaller memory bus and lesser true cudas would get the same gains.

Still a very fast card for the money though.

Still painful for 2080Ti owners. 3080 isn’t quite the performance leap I want and 3090 is way too expensive.

"Sir, may i therefore show you the new shiny improved 3080ti!!!!! 12gb ram, 95% of the 3090 performance, all yours for slightly less than what you paid for a 2080ti sucker!" :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
8GB vram for £500 in 2020... nah I'll bag a 16GB RDNA 2.
You recon you will get 16gb for under £500? I am not so sure, AMD are a premium brand these days :p

As I recall you was sing the praises of the 3080 on launch and was going to get one, then you changed your tune. I worry that if AMD come in at a high price you will change your tune again :p

Soldato
Imo at RRP the 3080 is a super price.... But that said if AMD can better it then so much the better..... Also getting a 3080 at RRP now is about as easy as finding a virgin in a knocking shop

Associate
Pretty sure then that a Partner 2080ti is probably faster than the FE 3070? and probably overclocks a lot better as well... so if your a current 2080ti there is nothing to worry about here other than resale value, and well we all knew that was never going to last for long :(

Soldato
Jayztwocents did a standard Timespy test enabling me to update my chart.

8uxMOu0.png

The pricing is off with this gen I think. Turing, Pascal and Maxwell all had fairly linear pricing. However with Ampere the 3080 offers significantly more performance but not at a huge price differential, skewing it over to the right of the chart. Then, oddly, for a huge price jump up to the 3090 you get barely any performance gain. Obviously talking about RRP here as well.

Based on this, the 3080 is either too fast or too cheap.

Associate
Jayztwocents did a standard Timespy test enabling me to update my chart.

8uxMOu0.png

The pricing is off with this gen I think. Turing, Pascal and Maxwell all had fairly linear pricing. However with Ampere the 3080 offers significantly more performance but not at a huge price differential, skewing it over to the right of the chart. Then, oddly, for a huge price jump up to the 3090 you get barely any performance gain. Obviously talking about RRP here as well.

Based on this, the 3080 is either too fast or too cheap.

Yes it looks a bit odd or you could say the 3070 is a little on the pricey side when looking at that jump.

Soldato
Yes it looks a bit odd or you could say the 3070 is a little on the pricey side when looking at that jump.

The price bands are actually consistent, just the 3080 performance isn't. The 3070 is in the same price band as the 1070 and 2070/2070S were, and the 3080 is in the same price band as the 1080, 2080/2080S were. So its the performance that is off. Its very strange, there is minimal space to slot in a 3080 Ti in there, yet lots of space to slot in a 3070 Ti.

Back
Top Bottom