• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
How much do you think a 1080ti, 3 fan, partner, card will get me come Oct.? £300 way too much to expect?

Depends on your circumstances, what are you hoping to upgrade it with? Your budget? I would sell before the announcement even if you were aiming to get the 3070 or below because (crazy I know) but they could price their GPU's sensibly and the 1080 ti, a 3 year old card with no warranty and no capability of features with tangible benefits (i.e DLSS, Raytracing)

Soldato
Why would you buy the most expensive Ampere to game at 1080p? and the moment you switch up to 1440p and 4K you won't bottle neck any reasonable recent CPU

My example is just to illustrate that bottlenecks are highly dependent on resolution.

Also, competitive gamers want the highest frames at the lowest resolution

Associate
talk of 1080Ti (and above) in the same context as 1080p makes me sad. Ok ok I know I shouldn't judge and yes there are competitive cases where very high frame rate leads to an in game advantage etc etc.... but 1080p come guys really? SVGA monitors weren't far off that back in the 90's for goodness sake that's like 25-30yrs ago :eek:

Soldato
talk of 1080Ti (and above) in the same context as 1080p makes me sad. Ok ok I know I shouldn't judge and yes there are competitive cases where very high frame rate leads to an in game advantage etc etc.... but 1080p come guys really? SVGA monitors weren't far off that back in the 90's for goodness sake that's like 25-30yrs ago :eek:

If i start pushing setting up, even with a RTX2080, at 1080p, is not that easy to always, in every game, maintain a 60fps (with no drops).

Associate
If i start pushing setting up, even with a RTX2080, at 1080p, is not that easy to always, in every game, maintain a 60fps (with no drops).
that sounds like an issue with the game rather than the hardware, hell even my 980Ti runs games like Elite @4k within acceptable framerates maybe not 60fps all the time but not far off

Soldato
How are you finding your 3700x with your 1080ti? What did you upgrade your CPU from? Have you noticed any change in minimums etc??

I upgraded from a 6700k and it was prompted by games like Odyssey that really suffer from lack of cores. I haven't paid too much attention to minimums because with Gsync I need 75fps+ or I just can't put up with it. At 3440*1440 the 3700x/1080ti combo was almost perfect.

I wouldn't touch 1080p now, but I do drop from 4k to 1440 so that I get higher frames as mentioned above. I value frames over IQ every time. It's really subjective and down to personal taste, but I only bought the 48CX because I can get high refresh with 4k when the next batch of cards arrive. I wouldn't own a 4k monitor that's limited to 60Hz and would still have my x34a if the 48CX wasn't an option.

Soldato
that sounds like an issue with the game rather than the hardware, hell even my 980Ti runs games like Elite @4k within acceptable framerates maybe not 60fps all the time but not far off

Nope, it just depends how much you're willing to push things and with the RT gaining more traction, faster hardware will be needed even for lower resolutions.

Sure, you can always turn down settings as much as you're ok with, but that's subjective.

Soldato
Hey! I'm still on 1080 lol, i wouldn't mind a 1440p but the ones i want are a little out of price range currently :(

Soldato
Actually this could help, in simple terms using the System Ram and SSD as texture cache would help with performance as its effectively adding memory capacity and bandwidth to the GPU.

The PS5 is known to use a similar approach which suggests AMD RDNA2 GPU's have this too.

Its not just fluff. :)

AMD already had the Radeon SSG for certain workloads,so wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia does something such as NVCache.

Caporegime
Is that the GPU with an SSD on the card?

Have AMD ever made a "Titan" card, something a little special with something a little special about it?

Yes here it is.... https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-ssg

It has a 2TB, (that's 2048GB) SSD on the PCB, first card to use this tech.

I'm sticking my head on the block here but I think with RDNA2 AMD are back with a bang at the top end and i think it might be fun if they had a Titan style card that actually was something really special, the biggest badassed GPU with all of AMD latest tech all over it. :)

Soldato
Yes here it is.... https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-ssg

It has a 2TB, (that's 2048GB) SSD on the PCB, first card to use this tech.

I'm sticking my head on the block here but I think with RDNA2 AMD are back with a bang at the top end and i think it might be fun if they had a Titan style card that actually was something really special, the biggest badassed GPU with all of AMD latest tech all over it. :)

One can only hope. With them doing well financially now, I hope it means some proper money into their R&D for a brand new architecture.

Although, I'm also excited to see what the top end Turing will offer, and how well RTX will be handled.

Back
Top Bottom