• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Yes,and yes. Radeon 7??

Desperate attempt in making a workstation card a gaming card to stay relevant while Navi wasn't ready.

Altho my gaming mate has one and loves it I'd rather they didn't bother and just said "Yeah we got nothing yet"

Workstation and gaming are now separate dedicated architectures, they don't make 'jack of all trades' GPU's anymore because they end up large slow power hogs, ain't that right Raja? the RDNA workstation cards don't have a rasterization pipeline and the Gaming cards don't have the compute capabilities.

At this point with RDNA2 seemingly being a true competitor to Nvidia again i think it would be nice to see AMD throw all caution to the wind and just make the biggest and best "gaming" card they can, a showcase card. Make them a limited "Lisa Sue" run and or charge a grand + for them.

Soldato
Desperate attempt in making a workstation card a gaming card to stay relevant while Navi wasn't ready.

Altho my gaming mate has one and loves it I'd rather they didn't bother and just said "Yeah we got nothing yet"

Workstation and gaming are now separate dedicated architectures, they don't make 'jack of all trades' GPU's anymore because they end up large slow power hogs, ain't that right Raja? the RDNA workstation cards don't have a rasterization pipeline and the Gaming cards don't have the compute capabilities.

At this point with RDNA2 seemingly being a true competitor to Nvidia again i think it would be nice to see AMD throw all caution to the wind and just make the biggest and best "gaming" card they can, a showcase card. Make them a limited "Lisa Sue" run and or charge a grand + for them.

That is what the Titan was meant to be - a gaming and workstation hybrid card but with no certified drivers. They also had the Pro Radeon cards too,which had partially certified drivers,and Nvidia responded by unlocking partially certifed drivers on the Titan series.Also,Nvidia seems to be going the other way again,ie,Turing seems to more general purpose. It might actually give AMD an opportunity.

Edit!!

I think Nvidia will win as they will just make as a big a GPU as they can get away with. Whether it is a paper launch,is another question.

Caporegime
That is what the Titan was meant to be - a gaming and workstation hybrid card. Also,Nvidia seems to be going the other way again,ie,Turing seems to more general purpose.

Yeah, its compute capabilities and 6GB of VRam was what made it special, it was as popular with e-Peen gamers as it was with those looking for an inexpensive workstation card.

That's not what i'm thinking, AMD's RDNA2 MI100 workstation card has 120 CU's..... it doesn't have rasterization but while 80CU's might be AMD's top of the range RX 6950XT why not make a 120 CU's gaming card, 24GB HBM, stick a 1TB high speed SSD on it instead of using system resources for Texture caching, you could load the whole game into that Cache, maybe stick an RT accelerator chip on the PCB...... give it a hyperbolic name and hell charge $2K for it, its a showcase card, not mainstream, just to say "this is what we can do" i think AMD need that right now, something that makes a thermonuclear explosion on the gaming GPU space, for mindshare.

Caporegime
Last AMD card that I owned that had any cahoonas was the 7990. This was when high end cards were between 3-400 £. Those were the days.... #daydream music#

Precisely, AMD have been out of it for too long, if they are back and they can do it... throw all caution to the wind and make some noise, a lot of nose, just do it, go all out balls to the wall, just having something monstrous in your line-up, no matter how expensive earns you a lot of mindshare, even if people can't afford your apex card they will look at your more affordable options in the same light.

Associate
that sounds like an issue with the game rather than the hardware, hell even my 980Ti runs games like Elite @4k within acceptable framerates maybe not 60fps all the time but not far off
Just one of my 1080TI's can't remotely run AAA games at decent FPS at 4K with anything like acceptable settings. World of Warships is fine but new more demanding games need far more power. 4K with no AA on high settings is rubbish, a 40" monitor needs at least 2x MSAA and a single card really won't cut it. Sure 24" screen 4K might not need decent settings but immersion required WAY more power than a single 1080ti at 4K.

Soldato
Yeah, its compute capabilities and 6GB of VRam was what made it special, it was as popular with e-Peen gamers as it was with those looking for an inexpensive workstation card.

That's not what i'm thinking, AMD's RDNA2 MI100 workstation card has 120 CU's..... it doesn't have rasterization but while 80CU's might be AMD's top of the range RX 6950XT why not make a 120 CU's gaming card, 24GB HBM, stick a 1TB high speed SSD on it instead of using system resources for Texture caching, you could load the whole game into that Cache, maybe stick an RT accelerator chip on the PCB...... give it a hyperbolic name and hell charge $2K for it, its a showcase card, not mainstream, just to say "this is what we can do" i think AMD need that right now, something that makes a thermonuclear explosion on the gaming GPU space, for mindshare.

A $249 to $299 2080ti equal card would waaaay much better for the whole PC gaming scene, with a $549 top for the top end card. That will actually make gamers buy their product. That will actually make PC gamers have access to more resources for gaming. That could make the developers actually invest more energy into the PC "port".

Couldn't care less about a 3080ti ori whatever AMD card would be at $1200-$2000 just I couldn't care less about TR CPUs. No one (as a gamer) does.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
A $249 to $299 2080ti equal card would waaaay much better for the whole PC gaming scene, with a $549 top for the top end card. That will actually make gamers buy their product. That will actually make PC gamers have access to more resources for gaming. That could make the developers actually invest more energy into the PC "port".

Couldn't care less about a 3080ti ori whatever AMD card would be at $1200-$2000 just I couldn't care less about TR CPUs. No one (as a gamer) does.

$249 for 2080Ti performance? What have you been smoking?!?

Soldato
$249 for 2080Ti performance? What have you been smoking?!?

Fine, make it $399 like in the old days when R290 offered 95% performance of the original Titan ($1000) at only $400. Same stuff they did with Ryzen.

The idea is to have something powerful, tangible, not ultra high end cards that serve no purpose other than pushing up the price for all the other cards.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Don’t get me wrong, $249 for 2080Ti performance would be fantastic but I can’t see it happening.

I just hope that AMD are competitive this gen so they both pull their fingers out and give us all the performance we want at more reasonable prices.

Soldato
I won't see that happening either, but pushing the prices as low as possible I think is the best move for the PC gaming scene. 2080ti performance for around $349-$399 for better implementation should be a thing. Only dropping it to 6-700 dollars and is kind of a fail.

Soldato
I won't see that happening either, but pushing the prices as low as possible I think is the best move for the PC gaming scene. 2080ti performance for around $349-$399 for better implementation should be a thing. Only dropping it to 6-700 dollars and is kind of a fail.
Wonder how many PC Gamers there are now compared to about 10 years ago

Soldato

While such a card would be what everyone hopes for.

The problem is production and then R&D cost. Cost $120 alone for 11gb of vram on the 2080Ti.

Sure in several years we will have a card that matches that spec and cost but not anytime soon.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Wonder how many PC Gamers there are now compared to about 10 years ago

I would say its definitely declined. The new player base is consoles where most teenagers and twenties would have grown up on it. The even younger age bracket (under 12) like my kids all are glued to their mobile devices and unless exposed at school or parents wont even know what a 'PC' is.

Back
Top Bottom