1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LoadsaMoney, 4 Oct 2019.

1. TNA

Capodecina

Haha :D

2. DrCrabHands

Gangster

3. kohlditz

Mobster

tbh if AMD manage to be competitive we all win with cheaper graphics cards. £1000+ last gen was a joke.

4. Jimmy Weirdarms

Hitman

I'm neither, but you're already justifying why they won't be able to compete at the top end!

I am slightly drunk now, so if you thought I was dumb before, well, hold my beer...

5. bru

Soldato

6. BigBANGtheory

Wise Guy

It is I started off with a GTS2 product after Voodoo 3DFX, good performance at a sensible price that was Nvidia. Success doesn't equal the right to fleece customers... joke of it is Nvidia have so much room to manoeuvre but they are so obsessed with commercial gain at any cost they've lost sight of the customer

7. Th0nt

Capodecina

It needs to cascade down the line though so the whole lot adjust back to where it needs to be!

8. Participant

Caporegime

I don't think that they have lost sight of the customer.

I think that they have their customers well and truly in their reticles and understand what the market will bear, as well as their competitive position.

Yes they might have gone a bit far with their Turing pricing (and to correct you, they have every right to do that), but understanding your customer does not mean doing everything they want.

In fact the customer is entirely to blame for any perceived commercial exploitation, the concept of which is a contradiction in a free market.

9. Twinz

Wise Guy

Nvidia didn't force anyone to buy their Turing cards. -Certainly didn't manage to get me to buy one.

10. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Because,in the last couple of decades,companies are obsessed with short termism,instead of anything else:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/12/short-term-thinking/511874/

Basically if you read that article,the whole system is geared towards short termism,and there is little incentive for more longterm thinking. In the past companies,were more interested in long term goals,but nowadays companies would rather take less sales,if it means margins are preserved. Intel is a prime example of this,at least Nvidia does try and push different things TBF.

11. Th0nt

Capodecina

Im hoping they come good this launch. If they milk it for another go they can you know what!

12. Devrij

Capodecina

Look where that got Intel. You sit at the top getting comfy eventually someone is gonna come snapping at your heels. Let's hope AMD bring something good

13. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Yes,but AMD also is caught in this trap too,ie,why they are trying to push their own prices up too. The issue is these companies could possibly make more money if they dropped prices,and got more sales,but the financial markets are so obsessed by quarter to quarter metrics(margins being one of them),its like a shackle around them. Apple even decided higher ASPs were preferable to more sales,and then stopped publishing sales figures. They are petrified the "investors" will hammer their share price.

14. aoaaron

Mobster

You think AMD are going to do that?
    I speculate, at most, they will match NVIDIA performance for 100 dollars less.

15. Satchfanuk

Hitman

Same thing happened to Nokia

16. TNA

Capodecina

You are probably right. It is what I would like to see happen, but does not mean I think it will.

17. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

I bought a Vega 64 specifically to try out AMD in case I decided to switch for this new gen; it's not been a great experience.

AMD need to raise their game on multiple areas, not just raw performance.

18. Th0nt

Capodecina

Yes they do. I just cant part with the cash though when it comes to the specification. I can be swayed like in the older days they used to bundle things like PSUs in with the card which made it an easier pill to swallow.

Nowadays they just tart up the box and add a few superlatives, sometimes not even a game bundle!

19. Devrij

Capodecina

I can't wait for it to happen to Apple.

20. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Agreed. Once they showed the world you could make cheap electrical products in China,do some marketing and sell them for loads of money,world+dog wanted to follow them. IIRC,I think JHH cited Apple as a company they wanted to emulate(I might be remembering it wrong though).