• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I am looking forward to seeing what the 2080Ti successor is capable of. I doubt I will join this round and might skip a gen and go for the 4XXX series but if performance is there, I might well bite. Hopefully AMD are close to launching also, so at least there is a choice this time. I have been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn and proper enjoying it (but not the heat produced in this weather) and it runs well at 3440x1440, although cut scenes are a bit poo.

Pricing prediction is $1200 for the 2080Ti successor and $1150 for the AMD top card.

Caporegime
I am looking forward to seeing what the 2080Ti successor is capable of. I doubt I will join this round and might skip a gen and go for the 4XXX series but if performance is there, I might well bite. Hopefully AMD are close to launching also, so at least there is a choice this time. I have been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn and proper enjoying it (but not the heat produced in this weather) and it runs well at 3440x1440, although cut scenes are a bit poo.

Pricing prediction is $1200 for the 2080Ti successor and $1150 for the AMD top card.
$1200 for a 3080Ti and only $50 less for an AMD card that will likely perform more like a regular 3080? That doesn't really make sense.

I'm neither, but you're already justifying why they won't be able to compete at the top end!

I am slightly drunk now, so if you thought I was dumb before, well, hold my beer...

Ahh, drunken regrettable posts... we have all been there in our youth.

AMD have not claimed to be going to compete at Nvidea's top-end with the 3080 Ti, they know they can't and Nvidia know they can't. AMD do not yet have the architecture to challenge Nvidia at the top-end for this generation. Fact. There are also multiple news sources that have been saying this consistently now for weeks, which means from your post that you are not staying well informed.

That does not change that they can compete with Nvidia at the price-points where it will REALLY hurt and where the majority of the sales are... the 3080 and below.

The fact you keep trying to make this into an anti-AMD rhetoric is very odd and stands out mainly because this thread, while sometimes getting heated, is mostly clean of irrational fanboys. Don't be one of those, please. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime

For that money the AMD card needs to be at least as good

Caporegime
You think AMD are going to do that?
I speculate, at most, they will match NVIDIA performance for 100 dollars less.

AMD Have a wafer sully issue, good place to be in when everyone wants your stuff but it's why we don't have a 2080ti equivalent, AMD don't have the supply to make them, they can't even keep up with Ryzen mobile demands. AMD will try and get away with making the smallest GPU they can, they are busy slapping Intel about and they need the supply to keep that going

Man of Honour

The Ampere Titan is the one to watch out for,

With a bit of luck it will be based off of their pro cards and on 7nm which could make it very fast compared to a 3080 Ti.

Caporegime
Pricing could be interesting, millions more people in America unemployed, many more across Europe. I can't speak for everyone but I would imagine a lot of the usual buyers won't be spunking £1000 away unless they're very comfortable financially. Whereas before you would see people buying Ti's and Titans with a whole months salary.

Caporegime
I don't think there will be any 3XXX cards using it.

If the Ampere Titan is based on the pro cards like the Titan V and Turing Titan were there is a good chance it will use 7nm .

Yeah, the thinking is gaming cards on Samy 8nm with data centre on TSMC.
Nvidia tried to play Samsung and TSMC off each other to bring TSMC prices down, a noble thing but it backfired, Nvidia forgot AMD exist and they ended up with the bulk of TSMC 7nm P supply leaving Nvidia having to rely on Samsung

Associate
Agreed. Once they showed the world you could make cheap electrical products in China,do some marketing and sell them for loads of money,world+dog wanted to follow them. IIRC,I think JHH cited Apple as a company they wanted to emulate(I might be remembering it wrong though).

And sell all your data to China just like Apple do, including all your location data thanks to using Chinese satellites for their iPhone navigation services etc.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Pricing could be interesting, millions more people in America unemployed, many more across Europe. I can't speak for everyone but I would imagine a lot of the usual buyers won't be spunking £1000 away unless they're very comfortable financially. Whereas before you would see people buying Ti's and Titans with a whole months salary.

Yes, this. Also if people are not thinking of buying in a batch of 5 for their 'mining rig' there hopefully wont be a drought in the supply. Interesting times.

Soldato
And sell all your data to China just like Apple do, including all your location data thanks to using Chinese satellites for their iPhone navigation services etc.

Well it also made the Chinese realise if they cut out the middle man,they could also make a decent profit too.

A lot of the growth is debt fueled,so it will be interesting to see how far these companies can push pricing before the bubble bursts.

Back
Top Bottom