• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Man of Honour
Kaap make sure they will actually SLI before you get 4 of them :D

Top motherboards for SLI these days are total rubbish.

I got a new Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore the other day.

The PCI-E slots are 2, 3 or 5 slots apart.

NVidia only make 3 and 4 slot bridges.

This means that the only serious option for NVLink SLI is 3 slots gap which can get quite warm using air coolers on the cards.

Even if I could find a 5 slot bridge it would mean the bottom card covers the on and reset buttons etc on the mobo.

This screw up was brought to us by Asus ROG and NVidia lol.

Man of Honour
Just go Threadripper or Epyc.

For instance, Asrock do the TRX40D8-2N2T, perfect for a 4 slot bridge and 3-way Crossfire.

I am seriously thinking about going for an AMD CPU setup next time I build a PC from scratch.

Intel CPUs for the last few years have not really been going anywhere compared to AMD.

I was looking at IPC on the intel CPUs the other day as I play a lot of old games which use a single core. Unfortunately when you allow for clockspeed the latest CPUs are no better than something from 4 years ago you could overclock yourself for the same result.

Caporegime
I was looking at IPC on the intel CPUs the other day as I play a lot of old games which use a single core. Unfortunately when you allow for clockspeed the latest CPUs are no better than something from 4 years ago you could overclock yourself for the same result.

Careful now, you'll have people popping in to tell you that their 5.3ghz clocked 9/10700k owns everything.

Soldato
Cards seem to be lasting a lot longer now, I spent £400 on my 1080 and it's lasted me over 3 years and would still sell for at least £200.

That was the most I ever spent on a card.

This time I would happily get a 3080 with a decent warranty to last me the next few years maxing games out at 1440p 120hz.

Even if it costs like £800 it probably only works out not much more than £10 a month if I sell it on in a few years.

Soldato
Cards seem to be lasting a lot longer now, I spent £400 on my 1080 and it's lasted me over 3 years and would still sell for at least £200.

This time I would happily get a 3080 with a decent warranty to last me the next few years maxing games out at 1440p 120hz.

Even if it costs like £800 it probably only works out not much more than £10 a month if I sell it on in a few years.

This kind of thing is only possible if there is little motion forward or innovation from generation to generation. 2000 series was underwhelming and offered no improvement whatsoever on performance/£ on release and little since so the 1000 series holds value well.

Soldato

You got it at the right time in the middle of a console gen. There is no chance a 3080 will last that long as minimum specs are about to skyrocket for the next couple of years.

Soldato
Initially was concerned with VRAM being 10Gb, but in my experience the amount of VRAM that comes with mid to top tier GPUs is usually good for at least two years if not three by the time games routinely nip at the buffer limit.

By then games and GPUs have moved on and you need a new gpu core now, not having more VRAM from the beginning.

Caporegime
All I want is something that will give me 60fps at all times on max settings in FS2020 at 1440p.

I haven’t tested it on my current system yet (2070 super), but I highly doubt I’ll get anywhere over 40fps over cities.

Soldato
The Ampere Titan is the one to watch out for,

With a bit of luck it will be based off of their pro cards and on 7nm which could make it very fast compared to a 3080 Ti.

What I'm looking forward to also, the Titan V has been a fantastic card for work, and play. Had since shortly after launch.
Hoping the new Titan has a great reference cooler as well.

Associate
Yes but at that resolution the performance and minimums will be decently high until Hopper comes along anyway

I have no idea what NZXT30 meant but it makes no sense, Consoles have fixed specs and a 3080 will be more powerful than a PS5/XBX, Yeah cards like the 1080Ti will see their worth drop of massively as minimum specs go up and the card can't keep up

Soldato
I have no idea what NZXT30 meant but it makes no sense, Consoles have fixed specs and a 3080 will be more powerful than a PS5/XBX, Yeah cards like the 1080Ti will see their worth drop of massively as minimum specs go up and the card can't keep up
Things tend to accelerate around console releases and I wouldn't be surprised if a 3080 loses the vast majority of its value within 16 months. Last time new consoles came out brand new cards like the 780 and 780ti became obsolete very quickly and unlike the ps4 and xbox one the new consoles are very powerful for their time of release.

All I'm saying is don't get ripped off by nvida or amd. Things will advance rapidly for the next 24 months.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Top motherboards for SLI these days are total rubbish.

I got a new Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore the other day.

The PCI-E slots are 2, 3 or 5 slots apart.

NVidia only make 3 and 4 slot bridges.

This means that the only serious option for NVLink SLI is 3 slots gap which can get quite warm using air coolers on the cards.

Even if I could find a 5 slot bridge it would mean the bottom card covers the on and reset buttons etc on the mobo.

This screw up was brought to us by Asus ROG and NVidia lol.

First world problems, eh. :D

Back
Top Bottom