• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Trillions of dollars have been printed since the 1070 launched. Inflation means prices will be even higher this gen (official inflation numbers are complete nonsense these days, just look at food prices in supermarkets for a real indicator)
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/food-inflation
Yes food prices have inflated by an incredibly small amount (way less than 4% p.a. over 5 years, closer to 2%) but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Inflation has been at historically low levels for a long time.

Soldato
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/food-inflation
Yes food prices have inflated by an incredibly small amount (way less than 4% p.a. over 5 years, closer to 2%) but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Inflation has been at historically low levels for a long time.

That's a flawed study, in the real world food, and many other items, are much more expensive than a few years ago. This is called inflation.

The 3080ti will be more expensive than the 2080ti, that's almost guaranteed.

Associate
S
That's a flawed study, in the real world food, and many other items, are much more expensive than a few years ago. This is called inflation.

Some things are more expensive many things aren't. Yes inflation has and does occur but some things inflate massively and others less so. Smart phones and 4K TV's, SSDs, DDR4, CPUs etc have become cheaper for the same performance or better than previously. If you have evidence that inflation is so much higher than official figures I'd love to see it. That aside I can easily believe 3080ti will be more expensive than the current 2080ti price but it really shouldn't and 2080ti performance 'should' be £300 maybe £350.

Soldato
Most games on Vega 64 i can get a constant 60. My latest game f1 2020 on the high preset averages out around 60 so a 2080ti would kill it. I think a lot of people look at review charts and get scared. With tweaking you can get a great image at 60fps. You got to remember 4k gives a visual upgrade itself so with tweaking you can get an image that looks just as good as 1440p/1080 turning some settings lower. If i was running 2080ti power i reckon 4k would be pretty easy to manage. The only game i can't manage to get a happy medium is rdr 2 so dropped to 1440p. Most likely getting the new rdna 2 gpu and willing to go £700 max. Really hoping that gets me above 2080ti performance then 4k should be really easy for me.

On a rtx2080 I have to turn down quite a lot of settings to get a 60fps locked experience at 75% of 4k. Just because the games you play run well on a old card, doesn't mean all games do.

+1

I have been saying this for over 6 years now. Imagine 4K as an inaccessible image quality setting on 1440p, the difference I see is like 2 settings or more above what 1440p can achieve at best. So most games still look better on 4K medium/high then they do on 1440p Uber duper maxed out mode.

You may get a sharper image, similar to using MSAA/SSAA or downsample from higher res, but draw distance, shadow details, lighting, reflections, AO, etc., you'll be missing on those. You may be ok to turn them off or have the FPS all over the place, but that's relativistic.

Until 4k@60fps can be run easily by mainstream cards (I'd say $300), then is far from it. $1000+/- is not mainstream.

Associate
Whether or not current GPUs can cope with 4k is irrelevant. For the target audience of the new 3070+ cards, 4k is one of the main resolutions to target along with 1440p.

To put it another way, do you think all the 1080p gamers are the ones being targeted with these new cards?

Soldato

From a well-laid-out Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...i_the_rtx_3080_has_about_20_increase/fyrfh3a/

For reference here is information about previous releases of Nvidia:

GTX 780 Ti - $699 - (7.11.2013)

GTX 980 - $550 (18.9.2014) - 7% faster than 780 Ti, $150 cheaper, 10 months after the release of 780 Ti

GTX 980 Ti - $650 (1.6.2015) - 30% faster than 780 Ti, $50 cheaper, 18 months after the release of 780 Ti

GTX 1080 - $600 launch (27.5.2016) , cut to $500 (1.3.2017) - 27% faster than 980 Ti, $150 cheaper, 12 months after the release of 980 Ti

GTX 1080 Ti - $700 (5.3.2017) - 43% faster than 980 Ti, $50 more expensive, 21 months after the release of 980 Ti

(EDIT: Anandtech puts 1080 Ti at +74% at 4K and +68% at 1440p over the 980 Ti)

RTX 2080 - $700 (20.9.2018) - 8% faster than 1080 Ti, same price, 18 months after the release of 1080 Ti

RTX 2080 Ti - $1000 (27.9.2018) - 29% faster than 1080 Ti, $300 more expensive, 18 months after the release of 1080 Ti

RTX 3080 - $??? (9.2020?) - 20% faster than 2080 Ti (?), unknown price, almost 24 months after the release of 2080 Ti

RTX 3080 Ti - $??? (9.2020?) - 35%-40% faster than 2080 Ti (?), unknown price, almost 24 months after the release of 2080 Ti

Performance figures are from techpowerup.com

Given the whole 2 years from Turing to Ampere, 20% is hardly impressive. Pricing will decide the fate of these cards. Also, the second time Nvidia left performance on the table by going with an inferior node, like with Turing.

Turing is the exception here. If Nvidia can get back on track, the amount of performance we get for our money should improve greatly.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You may get a sharper image, similar to using MSAA/SSAA or downsample from higher res, but draw distance, shadow details, lighting, reflections, AO, etc., you'll be missing on those. You may be ok to turn them off or have the FPS all over the place, but that's relativistic.
Yea, well my experience says otherwise. There typically is very little difference between high and ultra anyways, where ultra drains a lot of performance and one needs to take a screen shot to see the difference it provides. Where as the improvement provided by the huge pixel increase is night and day, to my eyes anyway and that is all that matters to me in the end.

I mean I am not a masochist, if I did not see a huge difference I would stick with 1440p and just buy a cheap 5700 and be done with it.

Soldato
Hoping for a decent bump in performance for upgrading a Vega 56 soon. Recently bought a 27" 1440P monitor so I would like to take advantage of the higher refresh rate.

Soldato
Whether or not current GPUs can cope with 4k is irrelevant. For the target audience of the new 3070+ cards, 4k is one of the main resolutions to target along with 1440p.

To put it another way, do you think all the 1080p gamers are the ones being targeted with these new cards?

It isn't just 4k or 1080p. Although, if you talk about RT... :)

Yea, well my experience says otherwise. There typically is very little difference between high and ultra anyways, where ultra drains a lot of performance and one needs to take a screen shot to see the difference it provides. Where as the improvement provided by the huge pixel increase is night and day, to my eyes anyway and that is all that matters to me in the end.

I mean I am not a masochist, if I did not see a huge difference I would stick with 1440p and just buy a cheap 5700 and be done with it.

Depends for game and user that's why I'm saying you need top settings minus some AAx8 and the sort when you want to test, to try and be as objective as possible.

From my experience at 5760x1080 and rtx2080, I can't keep locked 60fps/good experience at the settings I would like in Metro Exodus, RDR2, Watch Dogs 2, The Divison 2 I think, Anthem, latest Tomb Raider, TW3, GTA5 (yeah, I know), Ghost Recon Wildlands and probably are others.

Live I've said, the experience is subjective.

PS: I'm not saying there isn't a difference between 1440p and 4k or 1080p and any other resolution, all I'm saying is that in order to get to that higher res. you need to make some sacrifices in terms of frame rate or settings. That may or may not worth it, depending per individual. For it seems is worth pursuing. :)

Last edited:
Soldato

probably but look at the 970. Yes, it was probably because of the cut down memory bus, but still...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It isn't just 4k or 1080p. Although, if you talk about RT... :)

Depends for game and user that's why I'm saying you need top settings minus some AAx8 and the sort when you want to test, to try and be as objective as possible.

From my experience at 5760x1080 and rtx2080, I can't keep locked 60fps/good experience at the settings I would like in Metro Exodus, RDR2, Watch Dogs 2, The Divison 2 I think, Anthem, latest Tomb Raider, TW3, GTA5 (yeah, I know), Ghost Recon Wildlands and probably are others.

Live I've said, the experience is subjective.

PS: I'm not saying there isn't a difference between 1440p and 4k or 1080p and any other resolution, all I'm saying is that in order to get to that higher res. you need to make some sacrifices in terms of frame rate or settings. That may or may not worth it, depending per individual. For it seems is worth pursuing. :)
Yea, I have always been happy to sacrifice fps for image quality. 30-60fps depending on the game is perfectly fine for me.

Soldato
Some things are more expensive many things aren't. Yes inflation has and does occur but some things inflate massively and others less so. Smart phones and 4K TV's, SSDs, DDR4, CPUs etc have become cheaper for the same performance or better than previously. If you have evidence that inflation is so much higher than official figures I'd love to see it. That aside I can easily believe 3080ti will be more expensive than the current 2080ti price but it really shouldn't and 2080ti performance 'should' be £300 maybe £350.

There is also a huge reduction in the size/manufacturing to the cost of phones which simply doesn't apply to gfx cards saw a picture of an X800XT the other day had one of those back in the day it was, oh, slightly larger than a smartphone but about as thin if not thinner, a medium sized PCB with some components and a small fan about the size of the one currently sitting over my motherboard's chipset. Oh and something new: a single molex power socket.

my current card on the other hand the sheer size and bulk, the amount of components, 3 decent sized fans not to mention a couple of pounds of metal hanging off it thats the heatsink not to mention power consumption of a six-an-eight PCI-E power cables jammed into it that represents a huge increase in the amount of materials alone that simply can't compare in terms of manufacturing to an X800XT.

The law of reduction in size/cost of electrical goods really doesn't apply to gfx cards as people expect more and more from them each generation and its not keeping up with die shrinkage, efficiency, etc.

Back
Top Bottom