• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
On a rtx2080 I have to turn down quite a lot of settings to get a 60fps locked experience at 75% of 4k. Just because the games you play run well on a old card, doesn't mean all games do./QUOTE]

PC gaming is full of old easy to run games. What are you running that you can't run 60fps 4k with proper settings. Been on 4k for a while now and played many games. It's just not been a problem as i ain't stupid enough to think Ultra is a must to get a nice image. The people who chase Ultra everything cause there own problems and it's sort of if it ain't ultra my penis is smaller.

Do i need more power you bet i do but my most recent aaa game in f1 2020 plays fine on the high preset. It looks good but i am sure not seeing ultra would make you instantly throw up your stomach contents :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Associate
By broadcast, do you mean broadcast television? I'm pretty certain there are cameras to to match anyones budget for such productions.
What cameras? The highest stills camera at reasonable cost are either a FUJI GFX100 at around £10K without lenses or a Phase One back at a lot more in money - both are not 16K regardless of measuring resolution by short or long edge. These are stills cameras without capturing moving image.

Man of Honour
Why would they have drivers for unsupported, unpatched and thus and insecure operating systems?

Everyone should be on Windows 10 by now.

At least they are being plugged but Windows 10 has had over 100 security issues patched this month alone (some of them serious) and we are only half way through - Windows 7 on its worst day was never this bad and I would actually feel more secure on 7 right now than 10!

EDIT: Updated link for one of the latest ones https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...reveals-microsofts-patch-tuesday-fix-failure/

Even Google are starting to call them out as many many of these issues should not have been in the OS in the first place if MS was doing their job properly - strangely Intel gets a massive amount of stick for in many cases less serious vulnerabilities than these yet with Windows 10 it largely goes unremarked on.

Windows 10 is a horrible OS and I have no intention of moving on from 7 on machines I'm not forced to by lack of drivers for hardware :(

Caporegime
At least they are being plugged but Windows 10 has had over 100 security issues patched this month alone (some of them serious) and we are only half way through - Windows 7 on its worst day was never this bad and I would actually feel more secure on 7 right now than 10!

EDIT: Updated link for one of the latest ones https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...reveals-microsofts-patch-tuesday-fix-failure/

Windows 10 is a horrible OS and I have no intention of moving on from 7 on machines I'm not forced to by lack of drivers for hardware :(
Windows is not perfect but it is also not a "horrible OS" and it makes me sad to read stuff like this where people willingly put themselves at risk from an unpatched operating system because of unnecessary self-scaremongering. I mean seriously... you are using an outdated and unsupported OS with no further security patches and you think W10 is worse because it has various levels of vulnerability which are quickly found and then patched... like pretty much all OS to some degrees? The mind boggles.

Man of Honour
Windows is not perfect but it is also not a "horrible OS" and it makes me sad to read stuff like this where people willingly put themselves at risk from an unpatched operating system because of scaremongering.

It isn't scaremongering - Windows 10 is a security nightmare, the only redeeming aspect is that MS is at least patching the exploits quickly when they become aware of them, but the amount of stuff coming out the woodwork that absolutely should not have been released in that state is staggering. Windows 7 might be unsupported and lacking ongoing security updates (not that there have really been any at least disclosed ones lately) but as far as security goes Windows 10 is not covering itself in glory.

For instance https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...-seven-critical-vulnerabilities/#5a9246de25bf

EDIT: That isn't to say I would recommend people use Windows 7 over 10 for security reasons - but as arguments go for moving onto 10 right now it is somewhat lacking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It isn't scaremongering - Windows 10 is a security nightmare, the only redeeming aspect is that MS is at least patching the exploits quickly when they become aware of them, but the amount of stuff coming out the woodwork that absolutely should not have been released in that state is staggering. Windows 7 might be unsupported and lacking ongoing security updates (not that there have really been any at least disclosed ones lately) but as far as security goes Windows 10 is not covering itself in glory.

I am not going to get into an extended debate about this as it really is a very, very daft argument. If you want to willingly put yourself at more risk risk by running an unpatched Windows 7, which is objectively less safe than you would be if you ran a frequently patched and updated Windows 10, then be my guest... I just hope others don't do the same as it IS behaviour based on ignorance and not logic.

Just for reference, I am an IT auditor and security professional with a decade of experience who just did a big Windows 10-specific audit with a team of security professionals (including one who has found some well-publicised exploits on a variety of systems). We were, overall, satisfied with the results and all agreed it was a step up from Windows 7 in terms of the security features it provides. Windows Defender, for example, is a big step up and now provides credible protection especially with the Advanced Threat Protection module.

Running an unsupported and patched OS is so unwise that it is hard to emphasize it without sounding insulting.

Man of Honour
I am not going to get into an extended debate about this as it really is a very, very daft argument. If you want to willingly put yourself at more risk risk by running an unpatched Windows 7, which is objectively less safe than you would be if you ran a frequently patched and updated Windows 10, then be my guest... I just hope others don't do the same as it IS behaviour based on ignorance and not logic.

Just for reference, I am an IT auditor and security professional with a decade of experience who just did a big Windows 10-specific audit with a team of security professionals (including one who has found some well-publicised exploits on a variety of systems). We were, overall, satisfied with the results.

I'm not suggesting people should choose 7 over 10 for security reasons - the point I'm making is that in terms of an argument for moving from 7 to 10 the security aspect is somewhat lacking right now.

It would be ignorance to deny that Windows 10's security position is far from ideal right now potentially even severely lacking regardless of what your position on 7 is - there is worryingly high chance of new exploits of important through to critical being found at any one time - far more so than at any time during the active periods of 7 or 8! credentials or not I would consider you need to take a step back and take in a bigger picture if you are denying this.

Caporegime
I'm not suggesting people should choose 7 over 10 for security reasons - the point I'm making is that in terms of an argument for moving from 7 to 10 the security aspect is somewhat lacking right now.

It would be ignorance to deny that Windows 10's security position is far from ideal right now potentially even severely lacking regardless of what your position on 7 is - there is worryingly high chance of new exploits of important through to critical being found at any one time - far more so than at any time during the active periods of 7 or 8! credentials or not I would consider you need to take a step back and take in a bigger picture if you are denying this.
Ignorance to deny it's far from ideal? No major OS is ideal. No major consumer OS is "secure" and likely never will be, and the sooner we accept this the better. All we can do is hope that major vulnerabilities and exploits and found and patched as quickly as possible and that real-time protection does enough to keep us safe from the majority of realistic threats we will face if we are careful and responsible PC users.

But the fact is you are running an unsecured and unpatched OS where vulnerabilities that are found are no longer patched and that is, in reality, absolute madness if you are claiming to care about security. Fact.

I have nothing further to say on this topic but will show this to my team to remind them of how some people view things. Good luck!

Associate
There is also a huge reduction in the size/manufacturing to the cost of phones which simply doesn't apply to gfx cards saw a picture of an X800XT the other day had one of those back in the day it was, oh, slightly larger than a smartphone but about as thin if not thinner, a medium sized PCB with some components and a small fan about the size of the one currently sitting over my motherboard's chipset. Oh and something new: a single molex power socket.

my current card on the other hand the sheer size and bulk, the amount of components, 3 decent sized fans not to mention a couple of pounds of metal hanging off it thats the heatsink not to mention power consumption of a six-an-eight PCI-E power cables jammed into it that represents a huge increase in the amount of materials alone that simply can't compare in terms of manufacturing to an X800XT.

The law of reduction in size/cost of electrical goods really doesn't apply to gfx cards as people expect more and more from them each generation and its not keeping up with die shrinkage, efficiency, etc.
Well there certainly is that, cards have grown huge compared to previous generations but the price of the components is really quite small compared to the overall cost. A slow steady price creep can be justified but the Turing cash grab can't unless you're a die hard Nvidia fan boy or share holder or just simply enjoy paying more for less improvement every generation.

Man of Honour
Ignorance to deny it's far from ideal? No major OS is ideal. No major consumer OS is "secure" and likely never will be, and the sooner we accept this the better.

But the fact is you are running an unsecured and unpatched OS where vulnerabilities that are found are no longer patched and that is, in reality, absolute madness if you are claiming to care about security. Fact.

Granted but there are varying levels of concerning.

The horrible aspect here is that on balance of probability (to an unacceptably high level - and that is a criticism of 10 not an advocation to stay on 7) right now you are more likely to wake up one day and find yourself "pwned" on Windows 10 than 7 - I'm not blasé about the position of running older unsupported software security wise - but find it hard to take seriously people who extol the merits of 10 as if a compelling argument for getting off 7.

I have nothing further to say on this topic but will show this to my team to remind them of how some people view things.

If we are going down that road... maybe get off your high horse and show your team some of my posts in the various other threads on here about security like the one on Wannacry or some of the Intel vulnerabilities... I have a curious habit of understanding what is important with these security issues even when people disagree or even attack me initially over them...

Last edited:
Soldato
What cameras? The highest stills camera at reasonable cost are either a FUJI GFX100 at around £10K without lenses or a Phase One back at a lot more in money - both are not 16K regardless of measuring resolution by short or long edge. These are stills cameras without capturing moving image.
The cheapest i am aware of is the Black magic ursa mini pro 12k camera $10,000 - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursaminipro
There are also cameras from sony and cannon that do 8k probably for a bit more money. Then you have the Reds at the top.

Most people who buy these will have their own lens.

I would expect that for TV broadcast/production they can afford a $10k camera.

Caporegime
If we are going down that road... maybe get off your high horse and show your team some of my posts in the various other threads on here about security like the one on Wannacry or some of the Intel vulnerabilities... I have a curious habit of understanding what is important with these security issues even when people disagree or even attack me initially over them...
You are willingly running an unsupported and unpatched OS, which basically devalues all of your other concerns. No-one who really understands what is important does this.

Man of Honour
You are willingly running an unsupported and unpatched OS, which basically devalues all of your other concerns. No-one who really understands what is important does this.

You speak as if being supported and patched is the be all and end all - but the strength of that advantage is seriously eroded if security isn't taken seriously in the first instance - if they are running around like mad locking the stable after the horse has bolted that isn't really any better position than being unsupported and unpatched.

Which goes back to my point that I'm not advocating Windows 7 - I just find it amusing when people are extolling the virtues of Windows 10 for security as if a compelling reason for updating as if they are going to be more secure when on balance of probability right now you are at least no better possibly even more likely to be "pwned" on Windows 10.

EDIT: Or to put it another way if you were running an older AMD CPU immune to Spectre, etc. and someone said you should be running the latest Intel CPU because they are supported with security updates and your old one isn't you'd acknowledge the implications but have a bit of a chuckle.

Last edited:
Soldato
PC gaming is full of old easy to run games. What are you running that you can't run 60fps 4k with proper settings. Been on 4k for a while now and played many games. It's just not been a problem as i ain't stupid enough to think Ultra is a must to get a nice image. The people who chase Ultra everything cause there own problems and it's sort of if it ain't ultra my penis is smaller.

Do i need more power you bet i do but my most recent aaa game in f1 2020 plays fine on the high preset. It looks good but i am sure not seeing ultra would make you instantly throw up your stomach contents :D:D:D:D:D

The below (at lower than 4k and that card tends to boost above 1.9GHz by itself):

From my experience at 5760x1080 and rtx2080, I can't keep locked 60fps/good experience at the settings I would like in Metro Exodus, RDR2, Watch Dogs 2, The Divison 2 I think, Anthem, latest Tomb Raider, TW3, GTA5 (yeah, I know), Ghost Recon Wildlands and probably are others.

Normally I like to keep 60fps locked without drops as it tends to ruin the immersion when that happens. I don't mind turning settings down as long as they're very hard to notice or actually damage the image quality, but I can't say I don't want them ON either (those that do not ruin image quality), ergo not quite 100% happy/do not care with them OFF.

Any day of the week I would rather have the quality of a pre rendered movie from a game (like Killing Monsters from TW3), at 1080p60fps (or even at upscaled from 720p via DLSS 2.0 :p), than a regular game rendered a 4,8 or 16k with God knows what fps
But that's me, each to their own. :)

Caporegime
If Nvidia really are releasing 3rd party boards at the same time as launching FE cards then I have a feeling that stock levels may be ok. I am really just itching for the cards to be released now and I hope some tangible benchmarks start leaking soon.

I also really hope that the 3080 Ti or equivalent is a full-fat part that isn't superseded at the mid-cycle as that is basically the last sanctuary for people wanting to buy the best consumer part and then have it stay the best for a full generation.

All this lengthy build up and hype BS annoys me. :p

EDIT - On a side note, WCCFTech really need to disable their comments sections as they are a complete toxic and unmoderated ****fest full of horrific trolling, shilling and political agenda. Disqus really has become the wild west. :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom