• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
You will probably see the new cards released at the same price point or a bit higher when compared to the current generation of RTX cards and pricing will stay that way until they have shifted the old stock.

Soldato
You will probably see the new cards released at the same price point or a bit higher when compared to the current generation of RTX cards and pricing will stay that way until they have shifted the old stock.

I cant see it myself I think thats just wishful thinking. I`m expecting the 3080ti be a minimum £1300. Nvidia have no competition at the high end even the 2080 has no competition arguably. The price of the 2080ti caught many people out as a negative I dont expect the 3080ti to be sensibly priced. Nvidia will push the envelope once more and people will buy them. Nvidia didnt follow trend with the 2080ti why should they with the 3080ti ?

Associate
Whatever the top line card is, it'll be expensive as you say ... then again, I'd say its going to be a much harder sell to the market this time round as there still isn't a tidal wave of RT presence that is overwhelmingly driving a 'need' to jump on the bandwagon.

1st gen was/is (to me) a shiny new tech ... I'll-buy-into-it-and-lets-see-where-it-goes type affair. This time round, its going to be harder to push that as I imagine a fair number of people will be asking why bother, where is RT ?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I cant see it myself I think thats just wishful thinking. I`m expecting the 3080ti be a minimum £1300. Nvidia have no competition at the high end even the 2080 has no competition arguably. The price of the 2080ti caught many people out as a negative I dont expect the 3080ti to be sensibly priced. Nvidia will push the envelope once more and people will buy them. Nvidia didnt follow trend with the 2080ti why should they with the 3080ti ?
Madness and as you say people will probably buy them. I know I won’t. If prices like that the best I will get is a 3070.

Soldato
Whatever the top line card is, it'll be expensive as you say ... then again, I'd say its going to be a much harder sell to the market this time round as there still isn't a tidal wave of RT presence that is overwhelmingly driving a 'need' to jump on the bandwagon.

1st gen was/is (to me) a shiny new tech ... I'll-buy-into-it-and-lets-see-where-it-goes type affair. This time round, its going to be harder to push that as I imagine a fair number of people will be asking why bother, where is RT ?

it helps that next gen will launch along side Cybrpunk 2077 - be a big draw card if they packaged the game in with the new gpus

Last edited:
Soldato
The only good thing about the xx80 Ti coming at the same time as the other cards is you don't have to wait months for it. Who knows if they will do that again? But if they know people will buy it at the higher price then they will anyway.

Soldato
The only good thing about the xx80 Ti coming at the same time as the other cards is you don't have to wait months for it. Who knows if they will do that again? But if they know people will buy it at the higher price then they will anyway.
They wont do it again. Finnancially the whole 2000 series was a total failure (compared to previous launches). Nvidia will almost certianly be going back to a "3080" launch first and then Ti 6 months later. Among other things.

Soldato
I don't know why Kaap is using the performance of his cards in SLI as a predicter of what RTX performance will be like in Ampere. Nvidia will have learned a lot from the Turing generation of cards. You can see how performance has increased through the year from just software optimisations, how big of an increase will we see if they throw more hardware at it?

For me, I think there will be small jump in Rasterization performance but I fully expect Nvidia to massively increase the performance in Ray Tracing. I think they have to do one or the other, large increase in Ray Tracing performance or large increase in Rasterized performance, and since they have hung their hat on Ray Tracing, I think that's where the biggest performance improvements will be.

Soldato
I don't know why Kaap is using the performance of his cards in SLI as a predicter of what RTX performance will be like in Ampere. Nvidia will have learned a lot from the Turing generation of cards. You can see how performance has increased through the year from just software optimisations, how big of an increase will we see if they throw more hardware at it?

For me, I think there will be small jump in Rasterization performance but I fully expect Nvidia to massively increase the performance in Ray Tracing. I think they have to do one or the other, large increase in Ray Tracing performance or large increase in Rasterized performance, and since they have hung their hat on Ray Tracing, I think that's where the biggest performance improvements will be.
Well I hope to god it's rasterized performance because ray tracing is such a con. It just doesn't look that good after 5 minutes. Hell I've played games with such good rasterization that you can't tell it's not ray tracing.

Soldato
Think people forget the current 2080 Ti is more the titan card though I know there is an actual titan Turing card. So the 2080/2080S is the Ti with Ti pricing.

Ray tracing is a welcome evolution and it's in its infancy by definition of the word. Visual performance and hardware performance will come but it will seemingly be generations to come.

Those that say they are not interested in RT at all are somewhat short sighted if they also like gaming IMO.

Having said that what I want next from a new GPU is more rasterisation performance:) I'll play with RTX sure but don't expect decent FPS with it.

Man of Honour
Well I hope to god it's rasterized performance because ray tracing is such a con. It just doesn't look that good after 5 minutes. Hell I've played games with such good rasterization that you can't tell it's not ray tracing.

Eh once you start playing games with decent ray tracing you will quickly find even good rasterization undesirable. There are a lot of small touches with dynamic indirect lighting and better reflection accuracy, etc. that once you get used to you quickly notice the lack of.

Soldato

It's the price that's the real problem not Ray Tracing. Like it or not, things are going that way. It's definitely not a con, it's the limitations of the hardware today that they have to reduce the Ray Tracing to the minimum to get decent performance. So that's why the changes are subtle and might not be worth it for some. Like, I wouldn't upgrade just for Ray Tracing at the moment. But, of the two going forward, Rasterized or Ray Traced, I would prefer they bring the biggest performance improvements to Ray Tracing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Eh once you start playing games with decent ray tracing you will quickly find even good rasterization undesirable. There are a lot of small touches with dynamic indirect lighting and better reflection accuracy, etc. that once you get used to you quickly notice the lack of.
That won’t be on a 2000 series card though I assure you. Lol

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm thinking 30%faster than 2080ti but I could be wrong.
Needs to be more than that. Unless RT will be over 100% better and that is what is taking up die space. There will hopefully be nice gains just from the new architecture.

If Nvidia get complacent AMD will be getting a lot of market share with RDNA 2 I think.

Man of Honour
That won’t be on a 2000 series card though I assure you. Lol

My post never said it would. Though 2000 series cards are capable of a lot better than we've seen so far but only the 2080ti has anything like viable enough performance.

Back
Top Bottom