• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I don't think it will be that bad.

I'm expecting a 3070 with around 2080ti performance for £450-£500.

giphy.gif

You forget who is releasing these cards :p.

Expensive cooler, expensive memory, expensive 7nm large die. MOAR Raytracing. I’d be very surprised if they lower prices by that much especially with no competition.

Even 2070S WITH competition was £499. Original 2070 was £599 (apparently).

Soldato
just looked on twitter and there are sugestions the nvidia prices could be lower than leaked as there could be a very big threat from amd's rdna2, nothing concrete yet though.

Makes no commercial sense.

Release the cards now at leather jacket prices. Then reduce prices IF AMD compete when they release. No need to thrown away money before AMD release.

simples.

Soldato
If they do come lower than expected then the smart choice would be to resist and wait till AMD plays their hand.

I'm really curious as to what AMD has that is spooking Nvidia to this extent. This image comes to mind

maxresdefault.jpg

LOL XD

its properly known but there were reports of 3080/3090 performance from team red but power effecincy was very good, was akin to how 3rd gen ryzen shook up the cpu world, does amd's rdna 2 have the same kind of thing inbound? end of the day if they do us the consumers are going to be well off with powerful tech and not spending the earth to own it XD

Caporegime
I wonder what "good" means. I mean to me "GOOD" pricing would be less than turing. So a sub £1000 3090.

I just don't see it though.

This. I suspect that post will be referring to the $800 3080. Which isnt "bad" pricing for the performance compared to a 2080ti. No way can it refer to a 3090.

Associate
Makes no commercial sense.

Release the cards now at leather jacket prices. Then reduce prices IF AMD compete when they release. No need to thrown away money before AMD release.

simples.
Or release now at good prices so that anyone on the fence goes with nvidia before AMD cards are released.

Associate
24GB of GDDR6X is going to be expensive but don't forget it was only a few weeks ago some were saying 3090 had 12GB, maybe there is a more cost conscious variant

What is hard to fathom out (true even after the event) is what the full line of cards will be not at launch but during the 1st year. I understand commercially why companies don't layout the full picture but its really annoying as a consumer having to work out fact from fiction as its typically a minimum of 2yrs you'd keep them for

Associate
Everyone is anxcious about price/performance revealed in 7 hours.

Anybody troubled about power/performance stagnation? After hitting peak perfomance/power with 1080 Nvidia has been building bigger, but not more efficient. Ampere is supposed to be node shrink, but 320W and 350W power budgets do not induce optimism. Lets see if 3070 can pull off an improvement at 220W.

Soldato
a) It was only a tongue-in-cheek observation about how people are speculating but implying it's irrefutable fact
b) I don't understand people who arbitrarily pooh pooh other people's posts
c) I must have missed the bit where this was designated as a "hype train and speculation thread" rather than something where someone might have been able to come and find out actual facts.

But hey, thanks for policing.

1. No-one is claiming they have irrefutable facts about the specs of these new cards. It doesn't need to be stated over and over that no-one knows for sure, as it's tedious, as are constant reminders that no-one knows the absolute facts.

2. That makes no sense.

3. What did you think a thread about unreleased producrs was going to be like? don't be obtuse. If you wanted facts why didn't you save your time and wait for the reveal?

You're welcome!

Associate

Anybody troubled about power/performance stagnation? After hitting peak perfomance/power with 1080 Nvidia has been building bigger, but not more efficient. Ampere is supposed to be node shrink, but 320W and 350W power budgets do not induce optimism. Lets see if 3070 can pull off an improvement at 220W.

Transistor budget is being taken up by rt and tensor cores.

Soldato

But it’s also a lot more RTX and tensor cores most likely. The 3090 die is about the same size as the one on the 2080Ti (going off leaked images).

With a die shrink to 7nm that is impressive considering something like the 5700XT on 7nm is only 251mm. 3090 looks like 700+.

Soldato

I really didn't think we'd see 350W cards again. But NV is worried so they're having to throw everything at this series, PSU's will be squealing!

:D

Soldato
But it’s also a lot more RTX and tensor cores most likely. The 3090 die is about the same size as the one on the 2080Ti (going off leaked images).

With a die shrink to 7nm that is impressive considering something like the 5700XT on 7nm is only 251mm. 3090 looks like 700+.

the leaked 3090 die size is 627mm2 a very big chip if on 7nm node, also it was said to house almost 40 billion transistors :eek:, to put that into context the 2080ti core has a measly 18.6 billion under the hood on a 775mm2 die on 12nm

Last edited:
Soldato
After hitting peak perfomance/power with 1080 Nvidia has been building bigger, but not more efficient. Ampere is supposed to be node shrink, but 320W and 350W power budgets do not induce optimism. Lets see if 3070 can pull off an improvement at 220W.

I already miss Maxwell and Pascal. Actually good cards.

Soldato
If AMD can sprinkle even a little Ryzen magic dust on to RDNA2 then they might be able to deliver something significant.

But Nvidia are not Intel. They have not been getting complacent and resting on their laurels. They have more gas in the tank if they need to raise the stakes should AMD deliver a challenge in the market.

Soldato
Everyone is anxcious about price/performance revealed in 7 hours..

Can you clarify that statement as I dont give a pipers tickle about pricing, VRAM, or performance. Certainly not going to go out and try a pre-order a card. Probably be happy with my 8gb card till next year and will wait till the dust settles. (or the fighting whichever is quicker)

Back
Top Bottom