• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia CEO confirms 3080 3090 shortages until 2021

Soldato

yes but its not a supply issue !

"The 3080 and 3090 have a demand issue, not a supply issue," said Huang. "The demand issue is that it is much much greater than we expected — and we expected really a lot"

Only Nvidia could spin that. Already seen the Twitter Meme's and GIF's.

Don
Or is it imply they can not make them fast enough due to high volume sales? I do not know at the minute but I gues we will see at some point when figures are pulled together.

Associate
In summary
  1. We're collectively raging at OCUK for lack of stock
  2. OCUK are raging at distributers for lack of stock
  3. Distributers are raging at AIBs for lack of stock
  4. AIBs are raging at NVIDIA for lack of chips

Associate
In summary
  1. We're collectively raging at OCUK for lack of stock
  2. OCUK are raging at distributers for lack of stock
  3. Distributers are raging at AIBs for lack of stock
  4. AIBs are raging at NVIDIA for lack of chips

It's the consumers fault for being really interested in a product :cool:

Soldato
Or is it imply they can not make them fast enough due to high volume sales? I do not know at the minute but I gues we will see at some point when figures are pulled together.

Thats what they are implying but then again thats what you have forecasts for, customer research etc. If a Youtube video of a 3080 gets 5 Millions views and you only made 1 million cards do you own up that you messed up with production numbers and forecasting or simply say demand outstripped supply more than we expected ?

Its just Nvidia face saving as the latter puts a positive spin on the release.

In truth its downright embarrassment.

They must be gambling that AMD can not deliver either because Customer A with £700 is he going to pre-order a 3080 that wont appear till 2021 or buy the AMD release come October which have plenty in stock at near 3080 performance for £600 (theorising) ?

Don
Thats what they are implying but then again thats what you have forecasts for, customer research etc. If a Youtube video of a 3080 gets 5 Millions views and you only made 1 million cards do you own up that you messed up with production numbers and forecasting or simply say demand outstripped supply more than we expected ?

Its just Nvidia face saving as the latter puts a positive spin on the release.

In truth its downright embarrassment.

They must be gambling that AMD can not deliver either because Customer A with £700 is he going to pre-order a 3080 that wont appear till 2021 or buy the AMD release come October which have plenty in stock at near 3080 performance for £600 (theorising) ?

Maybe. Forcasting is also carried to protect the company. After Turing they may of sided on caution, as I said it will all come out in the not to distant future.

Caporegime
My guess would be they're just trying to create demand through artificial shortages or it's a manufacturing issue due to current economic climate, the idea that they can't keep up with demand for a £700-£1500 graphics card as if it's PS5 release is ridiculous. Most people at the minute are struggling to pay their bills.

Associate
I said at the start people were blaming shops like OCUK for the poor stock, Nvidia knee jerked a paper launch to beat AMD to the punch, probably because they are worried what they have and what AMD has coming. Lets be honest the silicon for Ampere is massively underwhelming, the launch was botched, it wouldnt surprise me if Nvidia released bad initial batches of silicon as that is all they had, while they try and ramp up production.

They created artificial demand, icing on the cake will be if AMD actually has something competitive and better priced, how many people cancel their Nvidia pre-orders to move to AMD, obviously there are a lot that will not due to wanting stuff like DLSS and G-Sync etc, and also a lot of sheep who drank too much Nvidia coolaid and cant see past their marketing.

If AMD launch with decent amounts of stock, they'll hit Nvidias pockets pretty well this gen i reckon :)

Soldato
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they knew full well what their volumes would be but paper launched anyway to take people's focus away from the competition, particularly those angry about getting rinsed last Generation and considering a PS5/XBox Series X instead.

Associate
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they knew full well what their volumes would be but paper launched anyway to take people's focus away from the competition, particularly those angry about getting rinsed last Generation and considering a PS5/XBox Series X instead.

I think there is a lot of truth in this as well, many people were looking at consoles this gen to replace PC's as the cost of PC gaming is getting more and more expensive, next gen Consoles are promising a lot as well...

Plus consumers only have xx in their pockets if Nvidia can get their grubby mitts on it first it means the console manufacturers (including AMD) dont get any of that cash.

Smart move, but i think this time round it may be all too transparent for them and could potentially cost them a few customers, a lot hinges on AMD's offerings and prices.

Man of Honour

Bit of both I think - Samsung 8nm is built on a relatively mature process but Samsung doesn't have the scale of production capabilities with it that TSMC has and nVidia seems to have gone ahead without any inventory build. Combined with coronavirus issues and ridiculous levels of demand, probably somewhat driven by people who've stuck with Pascal or even the 980ti, it is a fairly unprecedented situation.

Back
Top Bottom