• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA DirectX 11 Questionnaire – A Response to AMD’s Views

Soldato
hmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwAz-us-uNg&fmt=22

Personally I haven't seen anything like that in any other game so far.

That "smoke" looks rubbish.

It's like there are seperate blobs of smoke, not one more continuous fog if that makes sense?

Please can devs just use hardware accelerates physics that works on ATI and Nvidia cards. Oh and actually use the power to make something decent not just smoke that looks even crapper than on 5 year old titles.

Man of Honour
Flowing (continuous) smoke is possible... it requires a branch of fluid dynamics... physics in the game running on a CPU deffinatly would not be giving up playable fps even on an i7 if they used that.

Man of Honour
Dire in what way? slightly un-natural but a lot more impressive than some simple sprite particles that move in one direction and don't interact with anything else.

Permabanned
you do realise, bits of paper that pass through the character, unaware the character is there, is one of the very things Physx was supposed to prevent with its real time physx and interaction of models in a game. Scripted debrie blowing around is , well, used in games for years, upon years upon years. Its scripted, nothing more, something Physx/Nvidia/Ageia have been arguing is sucky and something physx can surpass bringing ultimate realism to games.

The chucks of wall that fall down, aren't any chunks, again they are basic chucks that fall off walls, something we've seen, again, for years upon years. Its nothing remotely fancy or unseen before. Fog, since we hit DX10 fog, and its poor clipping effects, have been irradicated more or less, Bioshock shows the difference in dx9 and dx10 mode. Fog/smoke looks great in dx10, it "blends" in with floors perfectly, while in dx9, it clips, you see distinct lines where the smoke/fog ends as it interacts with the floor. Please tell me what physx brings to Batman thats brand new and never seen before?

Do try and remember this simple thing, how the effects LOOK is down to the design team and graphical power, the PHYSICS BEHIND HOW THE EFFECTS ARE DONE, is what physx is supposed to improve. Better physics engine, better interactions, more detail, more realism. The EFFECTS and HOW THEY INTERACT, which is where ALL the power used in physx goes, it draws nothing, physx doesn't do anything graphically, how the effects work in Batman, offers nothing new at all. The way they work are like older physics in very old games, how they look has nothing to do with the physx team.

For instance, I'm not a fan of Mirrors edge at all, but the cloth, and windows breaking are newer effects that are marginally improved. But the glass itself, is drawn and designed by the team, the cloth is drawn and designed by the team. The MOVEMENT and the interaction of player with the cloth, or the pieces of window with each other as they shatter, thats the ONLY part physx is involved in.

Of course a game, out in the last month or two, looks better than a 5 year old game, again thats nothing even close to anything to do with physx. How the extra effects react, behave, move and work is what physx do, and it brought entirely nothing new to "game physics" at all.

wtf? it looks better yes, why the hell even bring that up?, you try doing these effects on a machine five years ago and you would have a slide show, even on systems now you wouldnt be able to do these effects with quad core CPU yet somehow there comparable? You really are full of it.

Reply if you want but I'm not reading anymore of your posts.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say 10x better... its almost the same effect except they have less but larger physics particles and a better shader effect that gives the texture on the particle more of a flowing, connected aspect, but looks kinda weird in some situations, tho coming through the fan it does look impressive... which is better is debatable.

EDIT: With a similiar or better shader the batman one would look vastly better as its basically the same thing only a higher res simulation - just a poor shader.

Last edited:
Soldato
wtf? it looks better yes, why the hell even bring that up?, you try doing these effects on a machine five years ago and you would have a slide show, even on systems now you wouldnt be able to do these effects with quad core CPU yet somehow there comparable? You really are full of it.

Reply if you want but I'm not reading anymore of your posts.

A dualcore could do the feeble effects in Batman never mind a quadcore, guess we will never know seeing NV and the developer decided to use just one core and screw ATI over.

Permabanned
A dualcore could do the feeble effects in Batman never mind a quadcore, guess we will never know seeing NV and the developer decided to use just one core and screw ATI over.

Your kinding yourself if you believe that, even modern CPU's are far behind what can be done with a GPU.

You can still do some impressive stuff with CPU's, I would prefer they made use of our CPU's then use more complex physics effects and kill our framerates in the process.

Maybe that will chage with faster cards, I don't see the point in physx with this generation.

Associate
er cos you can't have GPU Physx on a 5870, think that's the point in question. nVidia are saying that their cards are better than ATi's because Batman with Physx runs better than on ATi cards which is undeniably true but paints an unfair picture of the situation in general.

oh really...yeah I think I gathered that. thanks though :rolleyes:

Soldato
Dire in what way? slightly un-natural but a lot more impressive than some simple sprite particles that move in one direction and don't interact with anything else.

It was clumps, not one entity, and the individual clumps acted nothing like smoke. For starters they came out of the vent and dropped straight to the floor, and upon shifting the air around them they went straight up and instead of dispersing slowly floated back towards the floor.

Dire in that way.

Man of Honour
True it behaves more like dry ice, but thats more down to design choice by the developer than a failing with physx...

Associate
I've always been an nVidia man personally, probably due to the complete lack of ATi cards around Leicester, however their arrogance, lack of updates, price and now buisness practises are making me sway more towards ATi, the rate things are going I'll almost certainly end up getting a 5850.

And I have to agree, those effects are poor, certainly no selling point to me.

Permabanned
I've always been an nVidia man personally, probably due to the complete lack of ATi cards around Leicester, however their arrogance, lack of updates, price and now buisness practises are making me sway more towards ATi, the rate things are going I'll almost certainly end up getting a 5850.

That's what you get if you buy from walk in stores. Your choice is limited to the preferences of the shop owners.

Soldato

There is no real reason in this day and age to buy from stores when you can do it from the comfort of your home. I find stores to be more expensive also and being a man i hate shopping lol so ordering from the internet seems a much better option for me. The internet also gives you a much better range of products.

Permabanned
True it behaves more like dry ice, but thats more down to design choice by the developer than a failing with physx...

Come on Rroff, time to give it up. There's a patch out for Batman that removes the single core restriction of PhysX.

PhysX is currently a joke, it's a nice concept that I like, but as "PhysX" I have no intention of ever supporting it with my monies.

I'm looking forward to the open standard that comes with OpenCL/DX11 that nVidia can't lay claim to.

They're getting really really low with "Our GTS250 is faster than a 5870". Complete and utter rubbish.

Man of Honour
The whole single core thing with batman + physx still puzzles me - unless the first (official) patch already changed it - as when I'm playing I get good useage on all cores and procexplorer shows the phyx processes spawning extra threads (with GPU PhysX disabled).

I agree with the last bit tho... using batman/physx to try and score points against the 5800 series is worryingly delusional... which is why I find rafsters post funny.

Back
Top Bottom