• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA DirectX 11 Questionnaire – A Response to AMD’s Views

Soldato
The whole single core thing with batman + physx still puzzles me - unless the first (official) patch already changed it - as when I'm playing I get good useage on all cores and procexplorer shows the phyx processes spawning extra threads (with GPU PhysX disabled).

I agree with the last bit tho... using batman/physx to try and score points against the 5800 series is worryingly delusional... which is why I find rafsters post funny.

Is that not because you have an nvidia card. Could be that an ati id in the game will just shutdown all optimisation for physics.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Unless they went as far as disabling all threading only when an ATI card was present - that was testing using CPU only PhysX... if they are indeed testing against vendor ID when spawning extra threads it should be possible to reverse engineer the DLL and show that - which wouldn't make nVidia look good.

Soldato
Unless they went as far as disabling all threading only when an ATI card was present - that was testing using CPU only PhysX.

It would not surprise me if they did that but i read a review of the batman physics and it seems without playing the game that only a few parts of the game had physx in the game which added a nice touch but because the game only supported nvidia physx that not to much effort was put into this because it would only work on nvidia cards.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Unless they went as far as disabling all threading only when an ATI card was present - that was testing using CPU only PhysX... if they are indeed testing against vendor ID when spawning extra threads it should be possible to reverse engineer the DLL and show that - which wouldn't make nVidia look good.

I thought that's what had been done already?

As far as I know, isn't CUDA literally just an interceptor of tasks sent to a CPU?

If PhysX is getting gimped when an ATI card is detected, all those calls to the CPU being restricted to one core is gonna make a difference I think.

Caporegime
The whole single core thing with batman + physx still puzzles me - unless the first (official) patch already changed it - as when I'm playing I get good useage on all cores and procexplorer shows the phyx processes spawning extra threads (with GPU PhysX disabled).

I agree with the last bit tho... using batman/physx to try and score points against the 5800 series is worryingly delusional... which is why I find rafsters post funny.

So how well does it run using all the cores on cpu compared to the gpu using the physx?

Soldato
LOL, check this out, on full physx look how much my 5870 is utilized in Batman...:o 0% and I'm still doing 12-15fps..:p

11219368.jpg

Man of Honour
So how well does it run using all the cores on cpu compared to the gpu using the physx?

Using an overclocked Q6600 @ 2048x all maxed including physx - using approximation:

CPU PhysX: 80% of the time above 20fps - 10% of the time above 30fps
GPU PhysX: 90% of the time above 50fps - due to fps capped at 60 not sure what the high end is.

Which is pretty poor really as there aren't any physics effects really that should drop it under 40fps on CPU.

Ooops edited forgot the 10% of the time it was below 20fps.

Last edited:
Associate
There is no real reason in this day and age to buy from stores when you can do it from the comfort of your home. I find stores to be more expensive also and being a man i hate shopping lol so ordering from the internet seems a much better option for me. The internet also gives you a much better range of products.

Last time I built a PC with real graphics was back before I had the internet :rolleyes: this time around I'll buy online though, because I can.

To make my post relevant though, how on EARTH is that not using the GPU? You mean the whole game is running on the CPU alone? It shouldn't be hard to code in something that could determine the hardware used and limit threads, which is likely what was done here I guess.

Finally, didn't Intel/AMD do the same thing with their assemblers years back?

Permabanned
Last time I built a PC with real graphics was back before I had the internet :rolleyes: this time around I'll buy online though, because I can.

To make my post relevant though, how on EARTH is that not using the GPU? You mean the whole game is running on the CPU alone? It shouldn't be hard to code in something that could determine the hardware used and limit threads, which is likely what was done here I guess.

Finally, didn't Intel/AMD do the same thing with their assemblers years back?

Not the whole game, it's the physics commands/calculations we're talking about.

bru

bru

Soldato
the thing to remember about the whole nvidia screwed over ati with batman issue, is that we have no idea how many of the issues were nvidia ideas and how many were rocksteady studios.
i would expect that nvidia just payed rocksteady studios a big wad of cash and told them to make the game look better on their hardware, leaving it up to rocksteady how to go about it.
i cant for one minute think that nvidia sat their with rocksteady telling them to do it this way and that way, with each feature of the game.

Soldato
What you going on about? you see the graph? it shows the history of the GPU usage for the last four minutes as displayed in the screen, that screen was taken straight after I quit the game which was played for around five minutes, there was no ALT/TAB involved, not that it has got anything to do with it.

Associate
Well lets hope nvidia stop disabling things and an open standard takes off, there's nothing wrong with physx in general we've all seen what it is capable of, the fact is shifting the physics to the GPU isn't going to help much it needs to be a combo of CPU/GPU and if they had opened up physx to AMD, there could have been a bigger push for devs to implement it and therefore physx would be supported greatly and would get better with age

Main thing is computers are not nearly powerful enough to render real life physics that you seen in the demos but when the hardware comes, they better not still be bitc**ng :D

Associate
the thing to remember about the whole nvidia screwed over ati with batman issue, is that we have no idea how many of the issues were nvidia ideas and how many were rocksteady studios.
i would expect that nvidia just payed rocksteady studios a big wad of cash and told them to make the game look better on their hardware, leaving it up to rocksteady how to go about it.
i cant for one minute think that nvidia sat their with rocksteady telling them to do it this way and that way, with each feature of the game.

arnt nvidia going round claiming their programmers helped/did the optimisation though?

Permabanned
What you going on about? you see the graph? it shows the history of the GPU usage from for the last four minutes as displayed in the screen, that screen was taken straight after I quit the game which was played for around five minutes, there was no ALT/TAB involved, not that it has got anything to do with it.

I see that, but it must be a glitch or something because a CPU isn't capable of running a game like Batman.

Remember 3D mark 06 and how badly the CPU test ran at low res?

Soldato
M8 the CPU is not running all of Batman, of course the GPU is rendering but with 0% utilization, thats why the FPS is so low, this shows what a scam physx is, for ATI anyway.

GPU temps never go above 44c when playing Batman, so no glitch.

Man of Honour
The GPU utilisation is possibly bugged... but with most of the time spent on the CPU processing physics the GPU isn't getting much time to do work which is why you see very low to no utilisation...

The CPU is not doing any of the rendering in Batman at all ever period... that is all on GPU.

The CPU tests in 3D Marks 06 I think are all GPU rendered as well - just extra (unusual) workload put on the CPU to process ai, etc.

Back
Top Bottom