Nvidia DLSS coming to VR

Soldato
Came across this and thought this is could be pretty game changing news... I’ve maintained for a while now that one area where I see a real future for machine learning super sampling is in VR where we want to ultimately drive very high res displays at high refresh rates, while rendering two different view points simultaneously. Having such a thing can make it much more accessible to lower end GPUs and thus potentially lower the barrier to entry for high end VR.

Previously I have been disappointed that there was seemingly no DLSS option available for VR (not just that no games use it, but rather supposedly technologically incompatible) but this suggests that it is in fact now coming! Slightly odd that they name this strange specific resolution however.

I find this potentially pretty significant news for VR and it will be interesting to see if any meaningful number of games start to implement it (here’s looking at you ACC you unoptimised UE4-using gits!). If games do actually start to follow then it could be a significant factor in my choice of GPU going forward given demanding VR sims are my main gaming focus.

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/new-features-to-dlss-coming-to-nvidia-rtx-unreal-engine-4-branch/

New Features to DLSS Coming through NVIDIA RTX Unreal Engine 4 Branch
September 1, 2020
Comments335 Shares

Powered by dedicated AI processors on RTX GPUs called Tensor Cores, the latest update to DLSS introduces a new ultra performance mode that accelerates performance to support 8K gaming.This DLSS update provides the following key benefits:

• New ultra performance mode for 8K gaming. Deliver 8K gaming on GeForce RTX 3090 with DLSS.
  • Improved VR support. Maintaining the 2880×1600 resolution of top-end VR head mounted displays while delivering the recommended 90 FPS has been made easier with DLSS.
  • Dynamic resolution support. The input buffer can change dimensions from frame to frame while the output size remains fixed. If the rendering engine supports dynamic resolution, DLSS can be used to perform the required upscale to the display resolution.
These updates will be available later this month.

Soldato
That's pretty interesting. I agree that upscaling is deffo the short term solution while display res increases to remove the screen door effect

Associate
If games do actually start to follow then it could be a significant factor in my choice of GPU going forward given demanding VR sims are my main gaming focus.
Sounds promising stuff I bet the whole VR simming community would love to see all this implemented. On the flight sim side most are small developers trying to quash bugs most of the time. Plus they dont like implementing proprietary technology making improvements for some but not all.

Associate
I read they were doing some clever things with VR. Being able to reduce fidelity for items not directly in your field of view for example. DLSS would be great for maintain high FPS and filling demanding sections of game.

Soldato
OP
I read they were doing some clever things with VR. Being able to reduce fidelity for items not directly in your field of view for example. DLSS would be great for maintain high FPS and filling demanding sections of game.

I believe that would be VRSS (variable rate super sampling) which is a VR specific implementation based on VRS. It’s not so directly a straight up performance improvement though, as rather than reducing quality in areas it leaves the majority of the image alone but selectively supersamples those areas that are more important... all with the aim of improving image quality at minimal performance impact. It’s basically a much more efficient way of improving image quality that just doing a global super sampling in steam settings or the oculus tray tool for example.

They also have SPS which is single pass stereo, that reduces the rendering workload by only needing to render the geometry once. I saw the devs actually implemented it in iracing and it was a massive performance increase. I hope more VR sims look to add the option in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia have been brilliant for VR gamers!! They haven't been afraid to push out new hardware/software to make the VR experience better.

VRSS is really good, it works really well on Boneworks.

DLSS 2.0 is an amazing technology!! It would be a real boost to VR. Would allow for really high resolution headsets.

Back
Top Bottom