• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GT240 woes.

Permabanned
^^^
Cheers for the correction.
Well I guess your too blind to see I am helping you by offering the best course of action.
It will be interesting how long it takes before you finally follow my advice...

Soldato
^^^
Marine stop sending this poor guy on a wild goose chase!
It's not like he's not already having problems... so it doesn't help when you add to them by giving ill advice, sorry to sound harsh as I'm sure you are only trying to help but it's clear you don't have a clue.
I think you are missing the point. While I agree with you that HD5750/5770 would no doubt probably be a great card of choice, but are you considering about where he currently stand?
He got a GT240 and that's most likely not faulty, and the chances are he might not be able to get cash refund back from the said store and he would be stucked with the card. And IF he does get offered refund in the form of store credit or something similiar (I don't know if that store does that), it doesn't really have much options that's at a good value price (I just been to the said store few days ago, and saw them selling HD4850 and GTS250 (think they were 512MB) for like £120! Their prices are way higher than e-tailers and the only HD 5000 series they had on the shelf was a HD5450).

5750/5770 might indeed be a solution, but it is a solution that cost £85-£120 (more...if he can pay extra to exchange the GT240 for those cards at the said store), on top of whatever the GT240 already costed him. What we are trying to do here and work out a solution for him that does not cost more than it already did. Spending more money on getting another graphic card should be the last option, until Almostmini don't mind spending more money.

Last edited:
Permabanned
^^^
Fair enough in that case, he needs to take the card back to the store and demand a refund (If they are unwilling) as the sales assistant told him it would play future and past games.

Then he needs to get on OCUK and get himself one of the previously mentioned cards (probably a 5750) at about the same cost.

Last edited:
Associate
I am pretty sure they will give a refund if you tell them that each graphics card is giving you a problem.

I have a nVidia GeForce 240GTS 2gb in my current pre built PC and it is very good I can play any game (except crysis and some of the latest games) at least over 80fps. So my card is just basically yours but two GPU's in one. So the 240GT should be fine.

What was the game called? I will try and find it and test it on mine and see if I get any problems and I think I have the nVidia 196.34 beta drivers currently installed.

Last edited:
Associate
Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 3 @ 1 GHz or Athlon Equivalent
Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 1.1 GB Free
Video Memory: 64 MB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz or Athlon Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 1.1 GB Free
Video Memory: 128 MB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

* Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI® Radeon™ 7000/8000/9000/X families
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 256/2/3/4/FX/6 families
Matrox Parhelia™
Intel® GMA 925X/915P/915G chipsets

Looks like your pc could easily play this game... Maybe try updating your drivers to the latest beta. If that does not work then its probably a driver issue or another piece of hardware causing the slow down, like a faulty connection on the motherboard somewhere etc...

Associate
What was your installation process? Remove the ATi software+drivers completely before putting the nVidia stuff in there?

It could be that Windows has been messed up and a reinstall is needed.

Soldato
What was your installation process? Remove the ATi software+drivers completely before putting the nVidia stuff in there?
That's actually a good point. I forgotten the possibility that he might not have uninstalled his ATI drivers and related stuffs before installing the nvidia drivers.

Almostmini may be you should try uninstall ALL the graphic card drivers (bothh ATI and nvidia) and do a fresh install for the 191.07 drivers?

Also, what windows are you using? Also, is it 32-bits or 64-bits? Just want get more details about your PC and also want to check to make sure you haven't downloaded and used an inappropriate version of 191.07 drivers for your windows.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Every time i open up driver sweeper there is an option for ATI - Display? i click it and tell it to clean it but everytime i go back it is there? Any ideas?

Caporegime
Personally I would try uninstalling from the control panel before attempting using things like driversweeper / cleaner etc. I've never needed to use them.

Associate
Anti-aliasing would have somehow been turned up to the max would it? Or some similarly GPU-draining option?

Btw you don't happen to have integrated graphics on your motherboard do you? (there will be a VGA or DVI connector on the back) There's always a chance that something smart is going on since Nvidia are showing that stuff off at the moment!

Finally, would it be possible to run the game in a window with the Windows task manager going at the same time? Your CPU may already be fully loaded by something else in the background.

Man of Honour
Go to Start > My Computer > Local Disk C > Program Files > ATI > Bin and scroll down to Setup. Double click on it and then select the Uninstall all ATI software. This should then uninstall the ATI drivers. Restart the pc and then re-install the Nvidia drivers. Hopefully things should improve then.

Soldato
Out of interest how much did you pay for the GT240 at the purple shirt brigade?

The only one I can see on their site is £80 so the first thing I would do is return it for a refund and buy elsewhere.

It may not fix your problem but you'll get a much, much faster card for your money and you'll appreciate it when you do fix the problem (which sounds like drivers).

Last edited:
Permabanned
Out of interest how much did you pay for the GT240 at the purple shirt brigade?

The only one I can see on their site is £80 so the first thing I would do is return it for a refund and buy elsewhere.

It may not fix your problem but you'll get a much, much faster card for your money and you'll appreciate it when you do fix the problem (which sounds like drivers).

This
(As I keep saying)

Soldato
I have to agree too. ** World make a huge profit off people that don't know better. If you can convince them to give you full cash refund, do it!

After you get your money back, get a 5750 or 5770 online instead (depending on your budget) from places such as OCUK.

Side note: Do your power supply has a pci-e 6 pin power connector? (Only asking this because your system seems to be quite aged...

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have to agree too. ** World make a huge profit off people that don't know better. If you can convince them to give you full cash refund, do it!

After you get your money back, get a 5750 or 5770 online instead (depending on your budget) from places such as OCUK.

Side note: Do your power supply has a pci-e 6 pin power connector? (Only asking this because your system seems to be quite aged... and you might need to buy one, but they normally come with the card anyway

Fixed :p

Soldato
The molex to 6-pin PCI-E adapter you mean? I suppose that would be ok, but what about the 12V rails? 5750/5770 don't draw too heavily on it and his current PSU should be fine right? Would hate to think he can't use the 5750/5770 after buying them because of PSU issue holding him back.

Back
Top Bottom