• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GT240 woes.

Soldato
Try installing the latest DX from microsoft when i went from an ATI card to NVIDIA in my media Pc i had awfull performance playing some of the older games i play on it. Once i re-installed DX all was fine.. MIght not work but worth a try...

Soldato
have you tried changing the settings to use OpenGL instead of DirectX? I used to play IL2 a lot and older cards handled it fine, but the NV cards always liked running under OpenGL rather than DirectX which suited ATI. If you wish, I'm sure I could dig out some settings for your system to rule out errors like that, but to be truthfully honest, I reckon a lot of your problems would just disappear with an ATI card as the drivers AND IL2 setup would be better suited. I reckon a second hand 3870 would be a good bet, around £35 or even a 4850 at around £50 in the members market. Probably even a 3650 would do the job, and I reckon my old passive 3450 would run it okish....

Associate
Yea dude you need to full on troubleshoot before you splash on a new card.

Your tech is old. And the issue you are reporting could be any number of things. As more time goes by that can turn into many more.

Perhaps time to look at a new rig if you can afford it?

Associate
OP
Pastiemuncher, there is no ATI folder in my Program files that was taken care of when i first installed the GT220. So thats not it. It may be hidden?

Can somebody give me some detailed instruction on how to effectively and permenantly clean off all driver software so i can just install the ones off the disk, then update. Thus either eliminating this as the problem or fixing it.
Thanks.

Soldato
Let me do a quick run down for you:

1. Are you DEFINITELY sure that the card is fully inserted?
  2. Are the card drivers fully updated?
  3. Does your motherboard BIOS need an update (refer to the motherboard maker for instructions and proceed with caution)
  4. How hot is the card/CPU/computer in general? (use Speedfan/Core Temp; Speedfan will allow you to ramp up your fan speed if supported)
  5. Can you play IL2 in OpenGL like another poster suggested?

Your local search engine will help you with these topics.

Associate
OP
1. yes
2. No ( i have some that were reccomended to me)
3. Caution? Not sure
4. Card is currently at 36C, CPU is 60C? I'm guessing System is in general which is at 30C
5. Il2 is always running in OpenGL for me, if not visuals are poor, it was designed to run in OpenGL.

Soldato
Just checking...would you be able to get a your money back for returning you GT240?

And secondly...there are hardly anyone would get a 5750 1GB. They'd either get the 5770 1GB at £120 for res 1680x1050 and 19xxX12xx, or just cut the go for budget 5750 512MB at £80 ish if they are gaming at 1680x1050 and below res.

5750 1GB is sort of at the weird middle in between spot in terms of both pricing and performance, cause if anyone's paying £105 for it, they might as well pay £10-£20 more to get the 5770 1GB instead.

Soldato
I'd get the 512mb 5750 for £88 (even though I have that exact 1gb 5750, but it only cost me £70).

Still a whole lot faster than the GT240 and only costs 10% more.

Back
Top Bottom