• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GeForce GT240 woes.

Soldato
Is that idle or load temp?

Smithfields idle hot due to massive current leakage, it was an early 90nm intel process chip. But their load temps are normally only 15-20 degrees hotter, so 60 idle, 80 underload is not that uncommon especially if using the stock heatsink.

Its not the end of the world if a smithfield is hot, as long as the motherboard is set up not to thermal throttle too soon (Some motherboards override intels standard throttle temperature points, and insert lower temperature throttle points which are more suited to earlier northwood processors).

Soldato
I will be able to get money back yes.

So you think the 5750 would manage the game though?
In that case just return your GT 240 and get your full refund. Where you got it from they charge way to much for stuffs.

A 5750 512MB should cost around £85-£90, and it is capable of maxing out most of the games (except Crysis and Stalker may be) at res 1680x1050 and below.

That aside, I still can't figure out why the GT240 is giving your such poor performance. Let's hope switching to a 5750 will solve your problem...cause if it doesn't, it is definitely something else that's wrong.

Associate
OP
I am currently browsing the OCR UK shop.

I went back to the purple shirt brigade (i know the language now =P) and the nice bloke behind the counter who actually reccomended OverClockers! Was very helpful. He was the first employee who actually knoew what he was talking about i have met and he was also at a loss.
I got the full refund of 90£ and am looking to spend it here.
Did we say that the 5750 would be better?
As i am now running an R7000 in this machine as a make-do job and its so old, i think it needs retiring from service!

Thanks
Mini

Soldato
Glad that you got your money back. And yes your system is pretty old...it's long passed dued upgrade/retire date :p

If you are planning on building/buying a new system, give us a shout (well, make a topic :D) and state your requirement and budget and we can try to give some recommendations to you.

Associate
OP
Would love to build a new system however i am leaving home for the Navy is Sptember and so do not see it as a viable option to build a whole new rig for just a few months gaming =/
Thanks Anyway.

Sorry to ask again, but would you reccomend the 5750?

Soldato
While the HD5750 512MB is a more than enough to meet your requirement...quite frankly I don't know if the rest of your PC will be holding it back, considering the GT240 'SHOULD HAD' been enough for your games.

At this point I really don't know...I guess it's down to if you want to take the chance with the 5750 or not.

Permabanned
Would love to build a new system however i am leaving home for the Navy is Sptember and so do not see it as a viable option to build a whole new rig for just a few months gaming =/
Thanks Anyway.

Again to save your sanity from other comments, you prev. card worked fine, so your system is up to the job if it is not faulty also.

The GT240 was most probably a DRIVER issue but also could be an unlikely fault with another component.

So YES a 5750 is the correct choice...

Could have done this from the 2nd comment...

Soldato
So YES a 5750 is the correct choice...

Could have done this from the 2nd comment...
I think you mean 'from after confirming he's got his money back for returning his GT240' :p If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't want to go off and buy the 5750 until I get my money back, especially when I got a tight budget.

Associate
OP
Correct Marine.
Thanks Rhys. Driver issue seems logical, after putting the old car dback in PC is running well again, videos loading well and everything, this card won't even let me look at a game though xD
Will be ordering a 5750 shortly.

Thanks.
Mini.

Associate
OP
Hey guys.
I am a bit worried about ordering this hardware.
After reading the Terms and conditions it seems that once it's open they will not give me my money back. So if it is not the card and i spend £97 quid on a card that will fix nothing all thats happend it that iam £97 quid shorter.
Can somebody help me out?

Thanks.
Mini

Associate
Seems odd to me that you would buy a graphics card capable of modern games yet the rest of the spec wouldn't allow. If you were happy with the original card I would go look for one on the bay and save yourself some money.

Associate
OP
Because i would like an improvement. As i said this card breaking which was only just making do was the kick in the butt i needed to start this process.

Back
Top Bottom