• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Thanks @Gibbo for the update I am around 500 in the queue, coming from 1100 in September when I ordered. If my queue position keeps reducing at a steady rate as it has up to now I am extrapolating that I should get my ordered card by the end of February.

Do you know if you or @GIGA-Man will be in talks with gigabyte for updates on deliveries of this card anytime soon?

Your extrapolation is flawed. Almost every one of those queue position drops has been due to cancellations. It is unlikely people are going to cancel at this point so really you should be extrapolating using the amount of actual cards that has come in.
Which will give you a more accurate indication of closer towards the end of the year. You must be mad if you think you are getting your card by february. 250 would have to come in every month compared to the 0-20 amount in actuality.

Associate
Say you build a game around one of the most common VRAM sizes 8GB (most people dont have anything above), some of it will be allocated to textures, but other partitions of the budget will be allocated to frame buffers, vertex/indices data etc... It's a business thing. Spend enough time to make it look great, and make it run fast enough to sell without complaint, VRAM budgets enable that.

The only time usually a VRAM budget will exceed 8GB is if one of three conditions are met; either the developer didn't stick to the budget (rushing a game to market cough cyber cough punk), a resolution large enough to exceed the budget is chosen (say 8k), or there is enough available VRAM to move up to the next larger budget. I'm going to make a wild guess, but I don't think most games companies focus on budgets over 12GB, so the 24GB is mostly wasted as if you had all 3 conditions met, you'd still barely scrape 14-15gb used in big titles, Doom Eternal etc...

Interestingly on the lower end some companies more recently tend to skimp out on smaller budgets. Say you've got a 2GB dinosaur and can't boot a game due to a "not enough vram" warning, now you know why low texture packs exist.

Yup, it feels like there's a level of developer laziness that might run you into the 10GB limit.
That said, PS5/Xboxwhatevernewest do have more, so presumably porting an xbox game to PC blindly might be easier if the PC has similar memory available
Still- if you port to PC, as you said most people don't even have 8 so it's reasonable to have to do that work anyway.

Associate
I ordered a rig just before Christmas and I figure I'm just waiting for the graphics card, but all the mumbo-jumbo on here makes no sense to me, nor have I heard anything about queue placement. The card I'm waiting for is *Build Stock* Asus GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF GAMING 10GB GDDR6X GRAPHICS CARD. Do you have to request your queue position or what?

Associate
Your extrapolation is flawed. Almost every one of those queue position drops has been due to cancellations. It is unlikely people are going to cancel at this point so really you should be extrapolating using the amount of actual cards that has come in.
Which will give you a more accurate indication of closer towards the end of the year. You must be mad if you think you are getting your card by february. 250 would have to come in every month compared to the 0-20 amount in actuality.

It’s a hope, don’t let it die... also my extrapolation is purely based on queue position changes. As I get more data the extrapolation will become more accurate.

I have stock informer set up on my discord so that I can see when cards come into competitors, (not actually to buy one, I don’t have that kind of cash just lying around) and I have seen a lot of eagle oc 3080 come in the last few weeks so I am hopeful that they will start receiving them at OCUK.

Associate
Local distributor but as of January shipments have gotten even worse, so we are finding deliveries taking longer, we are also finding air freight prices have exploded and also again struggling to source flights at present, nothing is easy or straight forward at the moment.
what happened to the thousands of cards you said you had but wouldnt sell pre Christmas? im talking across the board. when will we see these go up please?

Associate
It’s a hope, don’t let it die... also my extrapolation is purely based on queue position changes. As I get more data the extrapolation will become more accurate.

I have stock informer set up on my discord so that I can see when cards come into competitors, (not actually to buy one, I don’t have that kind of cash just lying around) and I have seen a lot of eagle oc 3080 come in the last few weeks so I am hopeful that they will start receiving them at OCUK.
i wouldnt use competitors to try and map out when OC get stock. they all use different distributors that get stock in different numbers and at different dates

Associate
i wouldnt use competitors to try and map out when OC get stock. they all use different distributors that get stock in different numbers and at different dates

they may use different distributors but the cards will come into the UK on the same boats and air freight as the other distributors so is a good gauge of whether there are cards are in the country. Which is a much better position than we all were 4-5 months ago when there was absolute radio silence on all fronts.

At the rate at which competitors are receiving stock, the cancellations will continue because if people really want a card they will seek out ways to get one and then cancel the back order.

Associate
what happened to the thousands of cards you said you had but wouldnt sell pre Christmas? im talking across the board. when will we see these go up please?

'Thousands' feels like a dramatic exaggeration of the numbers mentioned before Christmas, and from the original post putting them on sale was only one of the options...

Associate
Here here.
Thanks @Gibbo for the update I am around 500 in the queue, coming from 1100 in September when I ordered. If my queue position keeps reducing at a steady rate as it has up to now I am extrapolating that I should get my ordered card by the end of February.

Do you know if you or @GIGA-Man will be in talks with gigabyte for updates on deliveries of this card anytime soon?
You shall be so lucky. My first queue update for the eagle was 280ish and I ordered like 45 mins after launch time. Im about 18th in the queue now. So you being 500+ now should definitely not be getting your hopes up for February.

Associate
'Thousands' feels like a dramatic exaggeration of the numbers mentioned before Christmas, and from the original post putting them on sale was only one of the options...
pretty sure he said thousand or close to. thats why im asking clearly as i would like to know along with hundreds of others what is happening..

Associate
You shall be so lucky. My first queue update for the eagle was 280ish and I ordered like 45 mins after launch time. Im about 18th in the queue now. So you being 500+ now should definitely not be getting your hopes up for February.

your 18th!!! Your watch is almost over, you will probably have your card next week!

Back
Top Bottom