• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I just asked to move from Eagle OC to Vision OC and pay the difference (yes with *current* RRP since they went up) and I have my card now. The vendors are just making their higher models because it's more profitable for them (Eagle OC is second lowest tier of card for Gigabyte so there has been 0 movement). If you want to blame anyone, blame the vendors who are maxing their bottom line by ignoring lower RRP backorders for all lower tier cards (which makes sense from a pure business perspective, I'd do it too...).

yeuuuppp did the same. Was 290ish in queue for ventus lol that is deffo not happening. Paid the difference and got my card. Bank is now empty but atleast no more weight on my shoulders. Cheers OC for helping me out

Associate
Hi everyone. Long time listener, first time caller.

So. I was number 6 in the MSI trio queue. As you can probably imagine, I feel like several important organs have just been torn out of my chest. Seven months of patience. That first month before the queue system got sorted. The long weeks of not moving in the queue. Those wonderful times when OcUK upgraded others, where I could feel happy for them, and enjoy a drop in queue position. The jokes from non-techie friends about how I was still waiting. Happily soldiering on with my wonderful old 980ti in my otherwise new build. Checking I had the third power cable available for the monster card that someday would turn up.

Then MSI give me the finger.

So what to I do? Play the calm and understanding customer, and place no blame on OcUK? Nod along with all the justifications of how they are just a middleman? Accept that I have no power to express my rage towards MSI? Or do I become obnoxious, clogging up OcUK's customer care system? Badmouthing them and MSI everywhere I go? Never shopping here again? All in the hopes that my pain in some way makes it back to MSI? Why would they care? MSI have OcUK and us over a barrel. If OcUK refused to buy from MSI ever again, MSI would be too busy counting their money to notice. Can I try to get it covered by the press? Make a stink about MSI's deeply scummy behaviour? The story is just too niche for most sites to care.

So here I sit, not blaming OcUK, but also disgusted at them. Knowing it's not their fault, but contemplating all the alternative roads they could have taken. Let me and my queue-mates have first crack at the 'new' MSI trio with a little discount to say sorry. An older generation card with a discount. A voucher. A bag of Haribo and a S--- Happens t-shirt. Because yes the source of the issue is MSI, but it's OcUK who feel the customer consequences.

But to be sat here empty handed after all this. I hope the other queues never have to feel the stomach-dropping feeling of a Gibbo refund update.

Associate
Given I just wasted seven months of my life on an unfulfilled order from a manufacturer and one of the sellers of those same graphics cards? Er....yes?
As a "long time listener" you'll know that Gibbo has upgraded hundreds of back orders to more expensive cards FOC? Understandably, he's said it isn't feasible to do it for everyone, from the financial and stock availability point of view.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, there seems to be a misunderstanding of what I'm saying. Sat in the queue, I was getting a, what, ~£1500-£2200 card for the original RRP of £800. I already had a ludicrous discount, as does every person still in a queue. I'm suggesting a small discount on the current selling price of an older card, or the upcoming X Trio "Totally not the same exact card [suppressed laughter]". Just something. Something of value to reward customer loyalty and apologise for the pain. To be honest, everyone still in a queue needs to think long and hard about this, because many of you may soon be in this boat with me. I ordered day 1, and have nothing for all the stress and delays and hope that's been wasted.

Associate

So. I was number 6 in the MSI trio queue. As you can probably imagine, I feel like several important organs have just been torn out of my chest. Seven months of patience. That first month before the queue system got sorted. The long weeks of not moving in the queue. Those wonderful times when OcUK upgraded others, where I could feel happy for them, and enjoy a drop in queue position. The jokes from non-techie friends about how I was still waiting. Happily soldiering on with my wonderful old 980ti in my otherwise new build. Checking I had the third power cable available for the monster card that someday would turn up.

So what to I do? Play the calm and understanding customer, and place no blame on OcUK? Nod along with all the justifications of how they are just a middleman? Accept that I have no power to express my rage towards MSI? Or do I become obnoxious, clogging up OcUK's customer care system? Badmouthing them and MSI everywhere I go? Never shopping here again? All in the hopes that my pain in some way makes it back to MSI? Why would they care? MSI have OcUK and us over a barrel. If OcUK refused to buy from MSI ever again, MSI would be too busy counting their money to notice. Can I try to get it covered by the press? Make a stink about MSI's deeply scummy behaviour? The story is just too niche for most sites to care.

So here I sit, not blaming OcUK, but also disgusted at them. Knowing it's not their fault, but contemplating all the alternative roads they could have taken. Let me and my queue-mates have first crack at the 'new' MSI trio with a little discount to say sorry. An older generation card with a discount. A voucher. A bag of Haribo and a S--- Happens t-shirt. Because yes the source of the issue is MSI, but it's OcUK who feel the customer consequences.

But to be sat here empty handed after all this. I hope the other queues never have to feel the stomach-dropping feeling of a Gibbo refund update.

gutted for you, after all that time, think its probably going to happen more in the near future? one positive out of all this is we've learnt the art of patience and a reward of nothing at the end of it! a life lesson for sure, I sincerely hope that you will be able to get a new gfx card in the future, if things ever get back to a stable state. certainly won't buy msi ever again, it's not the first time they've kicked their customers in the goolies!
and I don't think it will be the last. May they reap the rewards of what they sow! along with all the scalpers and low life's, :p

Associate

I got my card a while ago elsewhere, and back then, back in November, swore to never purchase from OCUK again. (I've actually stuck by it too, spent over 3k at competitors since without even checking the prices here)

I came back to this thread after seeing the news of the cancellations. All I can say is go look at how other places are handling the cancellations of orders from mid September. While OCUK just say "not our fault, dont even talk to us" and shrug, just consider how other places are handling it, and consider where you'll want to order your replacement card from based off that.

A discount and priority on the Z cards would've been the absolute bare minimum, OCUK not offering you guys that is an absolute slap in the face and I wouldn't stand for it if I were you. Don't forget OCUK have also been earning interest on your money sitting in their account, even at 0.5% thats still like £2 per sale that they pocket for free while palming you off.

Caporegime
Don't forget OCUK have also been earning interest on your money sitting in their account, even at 0.5% thats still like £2 per sale that they pocket for free

Even if they've earned interest of £2 they've lost more than that in processing fees on the payment and refund.

Associate
Even if they've earned interest of £2 they've lost more than that in processing fees on the payment and refund.
Also depends on business accounts most do not give any interest unless you are say a financial services firm and hold large amounts of client money

All good and well saying OC should do this that and the other but they are a business at the end of the day and to be fair kept people more informed than most in regards to orders and the actual situation with supply

Associate
So I got my Zotac Holo this morning and with only a small amount of apprehension I gifted it to my brother seeing as I already have a functioning vr ready build and am back to work in 2 weeks anyway. One problem though, the AMD cpu I ordered came with a game code for Farcry 6 that's been in processing for 6 months and the code is expired. Are there any avenues towards accrediting a working game code to me or am I out of luck from being in a queue for my order?

Associate
OCUK could handle this MSI situation better.
At the every least give all affected customers the chance of first refusal on any new 3080/Ti rehashes that appear. 24 - 48 hrs before being listed,

Holding them back for a day or 2 wont make any difference as they will sell regardless and if we can wait for 7 months for nothing I am sure they can wait a day or 2.
It is the least they can do. Because right now it just feels like they are throwing us under the bus and washing their hands.

MSI are now on my wont buy list along with XFX and a competitor was on that list for 6 years.
OCUK needs to remember that most of the time there are cheaper options out there, but people value the service and will pay a little more sometimes for that.

Associate
OCUK could handle this MSI situation better.
At the every least give all affected customers the chance of first refusal on any new 3080/Ti rehashes that appear. 24 - 48 hrs before being listed,

Holding them back for a day or 2 wont make any difference as they will sell regardless and if we can wait for 7 months for nothing I am sure they can wait a day or 2.
It is the least they can do. Because right now it just feels like they are throwing us under the bus and washing their hands.

MSI are now on my wont buy list along with XFX and a competitor was on that list for 6 years.
OCUK needs to remember that most of the time there are cheaper options out there, but people value the service and will pay a little more sometimes for that.
How many customer would you suppose they should give first refusal to as you suggest? All of them? lol

Associate
Also, if other cards get cancelled while there are orders outstanding (which seems more and more likely as time goes on), should all those customers also get first refusal as well? If so, everyone gets first refusal and then OCUK will have to explain how a customer with "first refusal" misses out on the first batch. Would that order be based on original order time, or time of product cancellation? Also, all affected customers? What about those who decided to order, but were unable to put an order in? They are technically "affected", but the answer to them would be "Too slow, tough luck, wait for me"?

Also, by all accounts it's a rather busy time for computer and computer components sales anyway, and using staff time to manually rearrange orders to ensure that future cards are potentially sold at a loss seems unwise, even if there is a benefit in repairing reputation. But this is all on the assumption that there is/will be stock to switch to, which is naive at best. There have been a number of people who have decided to wait for the 3080ti which I understand, but why does anybody think that the stock position of that will be better? OR that the price Nvidia set as MSRP (No idea, seems to be aiming around £999, but am happy to be corrected) will be anything like the price that the cards, especially from AIBs which is what will be sold here actually sell for? Plus, after the launch debacle of the 30xx series, I think Gibbo mentioned that they won't be launching until they have decent stock, presumably to avoid losing money on purchase price fluctuations which makes total sense.

One aspect people don't seem to consider is that out of the amount of back orders still outstanding with OCUK, it's probable that a considerable proportion are scalpers and plan to resell themselves! Having a forum account alone does not necessarily make you a genuine customer (though it is obviously more likely, especially for those who have been here for years), and it is impossible for OCUK to know which is which. The trials with the voucher codes have sadly shown that, it was a commendable effort that instantly saw stock put in the hands of forum members at as fair a price as possible...and then a number of lines advertised elsewhere.

I don't want to be dismissive, it is a **** move by MSI to cancel a card before all initial orders are complete, it really is, and everyone who has had their card cancelled has my sympathies. But the writing has been on the wall for a while, (Gibbo even put in his update that people with a queue number over 50 should cancel, or words to that effect) and there will be plenty more cancellations on the way from board partners, I would imagine. My guess is that OCUK know they aren't getting any more stock, and it's better PR to let the board partners cancel their lines rather than OCUK to cancel their orders, which again makes sense, but the overall net position is still no card for customer.

The problem is that a solution that pleases all customers and works on a commercial level (or even doesn't work on a commercial level, but not by a crippling amount just to restore reputation) just isn't feasible.

Associate
Can't see a 3080ti coming soon, why would you bring out a new sku when they can't even supply the normal 3080 ?
just doesn't make sense. I'll believe it when I see it.:eek:

I think you are right.

It looks like it's here. I'm surprised due to the current state of 3080 availability.
MSI don't seem to have any problems manufacturing the 3080 Ti

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3X 12GB spotted during transit
https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-ventus-3x-12gb-spotted-during-transit

I wonder what the price will be?

Associate
I was 59th in the que for the trio x, I work so no chance of picking one up as they come in stock, but would be like the chance to pay a uplift to the new trio z and keep my position it is after all badicly the same card with a different back plate, and we would not be jumping the que on anyone.

Back
Top Bottom