• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I'm actually sending my Strix 3090 back as I'm having the black screen issue on boot too after 2 days. Turned system on today and black screen, I managed to get it to post once but after a few seconds black screen.

I tried different riser cables, direct plugging, different power plugs, different display port cables, different monitors entirely etc - Can't believe it to be honest after 6 months of waiting the card I get dies after 48 hours. I hadn't overclocked it or anything, just running it stock.

Guess I'll be back in queue soon enough.

I know its probably stating the obvious, have you another MB you can try, or better, a totally different Rig. Also try another Bios?

Last edited:
Associate
I know its probably stating the obvious, have you another MB you can try, or better, a totally different Rig. Also try another Bios?

I don't have another system easily accessible to me that could fit and power this card. But I put my old cards back in and they work fine. I believe the card is just faulty. Early death ya know, it worked absolutely fine for two days and then just nothing. I've tried 3 other cards in the same system and they all work perfectly etc

BIOS on that motherboard is latest. I did notice that during my testing when I got it to display an output for a few seconds it wasn't stable, it even locked up in the BIOS. Shame but ya know this happens sometimes.

Associate
I don't have another system easily accessible to me that could fit and power this card. But I put my old cards back in and they work fine. I believe the card is just faulty. Early death ya know, it worked absolutely fine for two days and then just nothing. I've tried 3 other cards in the same system and they all work perfectly etc

BIOS on that motherboard is latest. I did notice that during my testing when I got it to display an output for a few seconds it wasn't stable, it even locked up in the BIOS. Shame but ya know this happens sometimes.

Gutted for you mate :(. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for a replacement. I wonder if this is a problem with all 3090s or just particular models

Associate
From googling around it seems to be quite common with all the Ampere cards. I'm finding hundreds of posts from people with the exact same symptoms across Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA etc. And it's all very common scenario.

They have video out, it's all working then suddenly displays go black and they never get a video signal ever again. The interesting thing is, my own friend recently got a RTX 3080 Gigabyte model and after 2 days he had the exact same issue, totally bizarre. You should see the EVGA forums where there's so many posts and threads about this. Seems like RMA is the only solution.

I suspect the video out component is the culprit that is likely the same on all these cards regardless of SKU or Vendor. Some people can get video out only working via HDMI when this happens to them while others like myself don't even have that working anymore. Also interesting is the card still "boots" and is detected in Windows and you can even put a compute load on it, just the display is caput. So if you have a second card to do display out the card is still usable.. by miners haha

Associate
It's happened to me with my 3080 recently, black screens, fans 100%, but windows fully responsive in the background. If it dies, it dies and i'll RMA it. Although could be waiting a while for a replacement that in the case of EVGA may not even work any better. I thought is was more a EVGA issue but, sounds like that's not the case.
Thing for me is, now I use more production workloads, I need a 3090 more than a 3080. I need that VRAM. Earlier in the year the 3090s appeared to be in decent stock, now they're just as scalped as the 3080s, and i'll be looking at 2k.

Associate
It's happened to me with my 3080 recently, black screens, fans 100%, but windows fully responsive in the background. If it dies, it dies and i'll RMA it. Although could be waiting a while for a replacement that in the case of EVGA may not even work any better. I thought is was more a EVGA issue but, sounds like that's not the case.
Thing for me is, now I use more production workloads, I need a 3090 more than a 3080. I need that VRAM. Earlier in the year the 3090s appeared to be in decent stock, now they're just as scalped as the 3080s, and i'll be looking at 2k.

That is sadly true about its availability. Previous FE drops sat there for hours just a month ago. Now? Today's drop sold out in 2 minutes? Though I see there's few more that just appeared, if you're super fast now. And these FE drops seem to be happening in UK quite regularly, once every 2 weeks. Just random day in the week, usually a bit past 9am. One was even on Sat - with some luck you could get that one.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm actually sending my Strix 3090 back as I'm having the black screen issue on boot too after 2 days. Turned system on today and black screen, I managed to get it to post once but after a few seconds black screen.

I tried different riser cables, direct plugging, different power plugs, different display port cables, different monitors entirely etc - Can't believe it to be honest after 6 months of waiting the card I get dies after 48 hours. I hadn't overclocked it or anything, just running it stock.

Guess I'll be back in queue soon enough.

Sorry to hear this mate, Iv got the 3080 version (OC) and its been rock solid for 4 months now....Nothing worse than having to wait months for a card then it dies on you :(

Associate
My Strix is fine and kicking with a hash rate of 120MH/s!!!:eek::eek::eek: Gutted to hear that some people are having trouble with theirs :(:(:( and praying i got a good one for once :p:p:p lol. Im normally the one that gets the dud product so hopefully i have been lucky this time for once :cry::cry::cry:

Associate
Sorry. Not graphics card related; but I had some parts arrive from OCUK and it had a small pack of Haribo in it, is this a thing that OCUK do? It proper made me smile and gave my day a boost. If this is normal, I can’t wait to receive more items from them.

Associate
Sorry. Not graphics card related; but I had some parts arrive from OCUK and it had a small pack of Haribo in it, is this a thing that OCUK do? It proper made me smile and gave my day a boost. If this is normal, I can’t wait to receive more items from them.

It's normal and they've been doing this a very long time. I think I first received haribo with my order way back in 2006 or maybe earlier.

Associate
Each time I open the package and chuck the Haribo at my daughter.
Daughter catches it, and asks me when I will next be ordering something from OcUk again.
It's not a freebie, it's viral marketing of a sort.

Back
Top Bottom