• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Maybe old news but might help controller players. I was getting massive frame drops with my new 3090 FE, Stuttering and FPS would not go over 133fps in 90% of games Biomutant, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, State of Decay 2, Cyberpunk 2077 + Others. After days of testing, I found out that it was my official Xbox One BluTooth Controller. Once I disabled the Bluetooth and used a USB cable all games running great now. 165fps no Frame drops of stuttering.

Permabanned
Maybe old news but might help controller players. I was getting massive frame drops with my new 3090 FE, Stuttering and FPS would not go over 133fps in 90% of games Biomutant, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, State of Decay 2, Cyberpunk 2077 + Others. After days of testing, I found out that it was my official Xbox One BluTooth Controller. Once I disabled the Bluetooth and used a USB cable all games running great now. 165fps no Frame drops of stuttering.
:D Well spotted!

Associate
Yes 850w is recommended. 750w might work or might not, the card can draw 400w so your total system power is likely close to the limit for that PSU. Which puts it outside the best part of the efficiency curve and means the PSU will get hotter. Heat is bad for the big electrolytic caps in PSUs and degrades their performance.

There are some videos about showing power draw spikes of over 600w from the 3090. Instantaneous spikes like that tend to get smoothed out by the bulk capacitor, so won't do damage but they can trigger over current protection which will switch the whole machine off. So if you run a 3090 with 750w PSU you might find it totally ok most of the time, but then encounter the odd unexpected crash.

Permabanned
Yes 850w is recommended. 750w might work or might not, the card can draw 400w so your total system power is likely close to the limit for that PSU. Which puts it outside the best part of the efficiency curve and means the PSU will get hotter. Heat is bad for the big electrolytic caps in PSUs and degrades their performance.

There are some videos about showing power draw spikes of over 600w from the 3090. Instantaneous spikes like that tend to get smoothed out by the bulk capacitor, so won't do damage but they can trigger over current protection which will switch the whole machine off. So if you run a 3090 with 750w PSU you might find it totally ok most of the time, but then encounter the odd unexpected crash.

Thanks, is the cooling on the FE cards any good? Are the new FE cards LHR limited? Do they have better cooling?

Associate
Thanks, is the cooling on the FE cards any good? Are the new FE cards LHR limited? Do they have better cooling?

Not the best the ASUS 3090 tuf runs 6 - 8c cooler full load. But after a small Undervolt (825mV - 1900mhz), my 3090 FE Max Core temps are 66 to 68c dependent on the game. Max Memory Junction temps 92c.

If you are playing less demanding games core temps high 50c, Mem temps high 60c.

Also, getting better benchmark scores after Undervolting.

Case Be Quit 500dx
Ryzen 5900x
Kraken Z63
3 case fans (outtake)
2 more fans on the 280mm rad (intake)

Permabanned
Not the best the ASUS 3090 tuf runs 6 - 8c cooler full load. But after a small Undervolt (825mV - 1900mhz), my 3090 FE Max Core temps are 66 to 68c dependent on the game. Max Memory Junction temps 92c.

If you are playing less demanding games core temps high 50c, Mem temps high 60c.

Also, getting better benchmark scores after Undervolting.

Case Be Quit 500dx
Ryzen 5900x
Kraken Z63
3 case fans (outtake)
2 more fans on the 280mm rad (intake)

Is the 6-8c on the TJunction ?

Best design without the AIB massive coolers!

Thanks, I saw that it's a 3 slot card

Associate
Is the 6-8c on the TJunction ?
In regards to the 6-8c, that reduction is for the ASUS Core temps. Not sure what the mem temps are for that GPU.

I don't have the biggest case but still managed to achieve decent Max core temps even in this very hot weather - 66/68c.

If you get a chance to purchase the 3090 FE, you should seriously consider doing so. For £1400, you cannot go wrong. Most of the AIB 3080 are nearly £13xx upwards, and the 3090 AIB are £2400+ - Crazy.

Staying that I did purchase the ASUS the 3090 ASUS TUF OC back in April for £2200. But returned it because the GPU was advertised as new but it was clearly used.

All worked out in the end. I have pretty much the same GPU/FPS and £800 better off.

Permabanned
In regards to the 6-8c, that reduction is for the ASUS Core temps. Not sure what the mem temps are for that GPU.

I don't have the biggest case but still managed to achieve decent Max core temps even in this very hot weather - 66/68c.

If you get a chance to purchase the 3090 FE, you should seriously consider doing so. For £1400, you cannot go wrong. Most of the AIB 3080 are nearly £13xx upwards, and the 3090 AIB are £2400+ - Crazy.

Staying that I did purchase the ASUS the 3090 ASUS TUF OC back in April for £2200. But returned it because the GPU was advertised as new but it was clearly used.

All worked out in the end. I have pretty much the same GPU/FPS and £800 better off.

Nice rig! The card is huge. I like my RGBs.

3090 AIB are £2400+?

Associate

Nice build. :)
I dismissed the 500DX for its single USB-A, but the more I see it, the more I wonder if I was too hasty in its dismissal!!

Keep in mind the target temperature for the 3090FE appears to be about 70~, so thats the temp most people will see regardless of case or airflow.
As the card will just ramp the fans up to hit that temp regardless.

For example, in my Define 7 Compact, my GPU temps where about 69-70 after a few hours gaming.
Now in my Lancool 2 Mesh, they are still about 66-68 after a few hours. So on the surface looks like just a 2-3 degree improvement.
The difference is the fan speed. In the D7c, GPU fans would be at 1400rpm to hit that temp, in the Lancool they are are at 1100rpm instead.

Back
Top Bottom