• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Why are they 3090s on here so expensive? Overclockers please stop jumping on the scalper bandwagon. I don’t care that it comes with a bloody warranty, your still scalping!
Not sure I agree. If they offered cheap cards then they will just feed scalpers more . As long as the as stock is available at a store who offer a warranty and easy exchanges then people would buy from the store vs used/scalped. This would force scalped prices lower over time as no one would buy. It just takes time for price to normalise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm what if retailers sold the cards at scalper price, but with a rebate voucher down to a sane price, valid 12 months after purchase to the original buyer only?

Buy GPU for £2500, sell on for same price or more and wait 12 months to claim back £700 or so.
It's still feeding scalpers, just takes longer.
It would be a nightmare to ask for proof that you still own the card at time of rebate and probably not worth the hassle.

Associate
Just finished replacing the thermal pads and paste on my 3090 FE.

I used 3x packs of One enjoy Thermalright Thermal Pad s12.8 W/mK, 85x45x1.5mm. (I recommend on getting an extra 4th pack as I had to use cut ends to cover all required memory chips)

Also, Noctua NT-H2 10g, Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste. + Ifixit tool kit.

I followed this YouTube guide. https://youtu.be/G3260LR2JzQ

Before max Core temps 72c, Max Memory junction temps 99c to 102c. Gaming/Benchmark

After change max Core temps 68c, Max Memory junction temps 84c to 86c. Gaming/Benchmark

Not the biggest reduction in temperatures but still very happy with results.

The whole thing took me 2 hours as I was taking my time making sure to triple check everything.

Quite easy to do difficulty 6 - 10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it true replacing the thermal pads does not void the warranty? Is that what NVIDIA state?
If it is an FE card then the warranty will be void if you take it apart, only some AIBs allow water cooling or taking the card apart as long as you don't damage it.

You will have people here telling you Nvidia or any AIB that doesn't allow it must prove you damaged it, but reality is if you open it no warranty and up to Nvidia or the AIB to accept it under warranty. Not going to get into that argument that always comes after explaining the warranty regarding taking the card apart, that's why it's allways better to buy a card from an AIB that allows water cooling or taking the card apart for cleaning or maintenance on the thermal pads or paste.

Also remember warranty is not transferable to anyone and is only with the original buyer with Nvidia FE cards, some AIBs allow it and many more don't.

Last edited:
Associate
If it is an FE card then the warranty will be void if you take it apart, only some AIBs allow water cooling or taking the card apart as long as you don't damage it.

You will have people here telling you Nvidia or any AIB that doesn't allow it must prove you damaged it, but reality is if you open it no warranty and up to Nvidia or the AIB to accept it under warranty. Not going to get into that argument that always comes after explaining the warranty regarding taking the card apart, that's why it's allways better to buy a card from an AIB that allows water cooling or taking the card apart for cleaning or maintenance on the thermal pads or paste.

Also remember warranty is not transferable to anyone and is only with the original buyer with Nvidia FE cards, some AIBs allow it and many more don't.
They have to prove you took it apart so if you don’t break any anti tampering sticks you are fine.

Soldato
They have to prove you took it apart so if you don’t break any anti tampering sticks you are fine.

Replacing thermal pads I think would come under you took it apart and easy to spot it was opened ;).. also the original thermal pads crumble when you try to remove them a clear sign even if you return them back as they were before RMA they were clearly removed. If you then open the GPU die side and replace the thermal paste too as you will need to when replacing the thermal pads on that side and that will also show it has been opened unless you can get same thermal paste they used.

So unless you can get the same thermal pads they used and same paste, all the signs are there to show it was opened, starting to think Nvidia used them thermal pads as a way to detect people opened the cards as they fall apart and crumble if you try to remove them.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
They are crazy prices to the fe cards. Are they selling fe cards at a loss?
no, because usually Nvidia operate on between 60 & 75% profit margin so they could probably sell cheaper if they wished. It's the AIB, Distributor and Resellers, who are usually expected to operate on 10% or less who can't cover up their cost increases.
AIB prices for whatever reasons, will not be possible to match FE MSRP without selling at a loss.
The reasons are simple.

NV usually aims to make 65% margin on a card, so lets assume that's what it made on 3090 at launch. It usually lets the AIB make about 10-15%. So based on the launch MSRP, an estimate is that NV were making $975 per card. NV would sell the GPU & VRAM kit to the AIB at a price which (NV assume, wrongly in most cases) would allow the AIB to manufacture a cheap card and get it to the customer at $1500.
Working backwards
Reseller sells for $1500 @ 10% = $150 profit (before overheads)
Distributor sells for $1350 @ 10% = $135 profit (before overheads)
AIB sells for $1135 @ 14% profit = $180 profit (before overheads)
This makes the cost of manufacture for the AIB around $1155. Of which, a significant chunk is the GPU & VRAM kits from NV. Based on NV's financial report it's safe to say that they charge at least $500 for the GPU kits

But it's not even that simple because the AIB's supply chains are longer because, due to having a hundred plus customers in every region, rather than one fulfilment partner, they have to own, operate and ship via local distribution hubs (usually, for us, in Netherlands), more overheads & more logistics costs.

When there's an increase in component costs, as there undoubtedly has been, and a ten fold increase in logistic costs, as there undoubtedly has been, as you can see from those profit share above, there's only one entity in the chain realistically placed to be able to offset those increases. The others have to pass them on to the customer.

Back
Top Bottom