• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nVidia GT300 - GeForce GTX 380 yields are sub-30%

Soldato
Had a shake up as well.

Nvidia shifted a lot of key people
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Thursday, 17 September 2009 12:24

It’s going to get better

At Nvidia’s headquarters we learned firsthand that some of the people that we've known for years have internally shifted responsibilities and now drive some other divisions.

Let’s start with Ujesh Desai, Nvidia’s VP of graphics, the chap that use to run Geforce business for years now, moved from this position to become a VP of product marketing. This role lets him focus on the holy trinity - Geforce, Tegra and Tesla and some extra Nforces and Ions surely won’t hurt anyone.

The other chap that shifted its position is Drew Henry, the guy that got Nvidia’s chipset to where it is now. He was responsible for Geforce and he also runs chipset which we find hard to believe.

Newcomer Phil Eisler the VP of AMD’s chipset division that deflected to Nvidia is supposed to run 3D stereo, which we absolutely refuse to believe. We and many other people in the industry are convinced that this is just a cover up since he probably has no compete agreement with AMD and it cannot publicly say that he does chipsets.

Mr Roy Taylor the chap that was running the way its meant to be played is now a VP sales figure responsible for Tegra and the strategy how to sell this chip to many telecoms and his place is taken over by Ashu Rege who now runs TWIMTBP, PhysX and developers relations.

We are sure that there is much more, but this is what we found out so far.

Soldato
this is bad news for all of us, ATI can basically charge what they want for the 58** series until The GT300 comes out!
oh well looks like i will be waiting until next summer to upgrade :(

Man of Honour
All the OEM buyers telling them to GTFO and picking up parts that let them market PC's (no matter how crappy) as DX11 might make them think twice. As we all know, that is where the big money is made. Anyway, DX11 is already here, so it is too late for the big green hatchet.

If you say that DX11 does not matter enough times, you might even convince yourself.

Your underestimating the lengths nVidia will go to... trust me DX11 isn't "safe" from the "big green hatchet"...

Your last comment is purely putting words in my mouth... you don't even know my stance on DX11.

Associate
Given what a lame duck DX10 turned out to be, would people really refuse to buy the card (assuming its bonkers fast in DX9/10) if it had weak DX11 support?

I recall getting the 8800 GTS 640MB on launch day 'cause benchmarks were mental fast in DX9 - despite Microsoft banging on about Vista/DX10 revolutionising gaming.

Associate
I really can't see ms bending over for nvidia again like they did with dx10 and all the damage that did i think this time they will tell nvidia where to go. Maybe if no one had been able to get a dx11 part ready in time for win7 dx11 could have been interfered with but if ms did it now it would be an embarassment for them as it would be clear they had done it purely for nvidia. Afraid this time round nvidia are going to have to get their heads down and work to get back into things not have it made easier for them like the past.

Soldato
They had at least 18months head start on ATI, Its just weird they are now 6 months behind in the DX11 race.

Its even stranger since ATI went DX10.1 and Nvidia got it pulled by banging on about DX11 was the only way forward.

Associate
Your underestimating the lengths nVidia will go to... trust me DX11 isn't "safe" from the "big green hatchet"...

Your last comment is purely putting words in my mouth... you don't even know my stance on DX11.

It's too late, the spec is done, and hardware is ready. Tell yourself what you like, it does not change those facts. Microsoft had nowhere else to turn to for hardware last time, unfortunately for NV and chums things are different this time around. Hardware is here, picking up OEM design wins and it looks very capable, a far cry from ATI's pathetic initial DX10 efforts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's too late, the spec is done, and hardware is ready. Tell yourself what you like, it does not change those facts. Microsoft had nowhere else to turn to for hardware last time, unfortunately for NV and chums things are different this time around. Hardware is here, picking up OEM design wins and it looks very capable, a far cry from ATI's pathetic initial DX10 efforts.

ATi's 'pathetic' DX10 efforts were because of Nvidia having the spec changed,. This meant R600 had a lot more in its die than was useful, so again thats partly Nvidias fault.

Associate
ATi's 'pathetic' DX10 efforts were because of Nvidia having the spec changed,. This meant R600 had a lot more in its die than was useful, so again thats partly Nvidias fault.

While nVidia did get sections of the DX10 spec changed, to blame the poor performance of the R600 on that is a bit misguided. The R600 was just a badly balanced design, with things such as huge amounts of the die being taken up by the ring bus and 512 bit memory interface, leaving no room for more shaders, TMUs etc.

That alongside poor AA execution, the dire 80nm manufacturing process and teething problems with the new architecture (not to mention the very recent takeover of ATi by AMD at the time), was really what made the R600 a bit of a flop.

Man of Honour

Just wait... spec might be "done" but nVidia will have their teeth into developers and so on, undermining DX11, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see DX updates either that make things more favorable to nVidia (don't equate that with making it less favorable for ATI)... I'm not saying this is a good thing, but don't underestimate the depth nVidia will go to or the clout they have to get things changed.

Associate
I wish people who keep sticking up for nVidia smell the coffee. They -nVidia- had a massive lead over ATI, you would have thought that nVidia would have cracked on and produce some next generation cards for us, instead of rebrands ? ATI were quite a distance behind. nVidia were too busy counting their money and not looking over their shoulders.

Bit like the hare and snail story.

Soldato
OP
Just wait... spec might be "done" but nVidia will have their teeth into developers and so on, undermining DX11, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see DX updates either that make things more favorable to nVidia (don't equate that with making it less favorable for ATI)... I'm not saying this is a good thing, but don't underestimate the depth nVidia will go to or the clout they have to get things changed.

Roff there is no reason why DX11 updates will more favourable to NV, MS don't need NV for anything this time.

Yes NV will try to put the boot in at the developer level which is obvious.

Caporegime
While nVidia did get sections of the DX10 spec changed, to blame the poor performance of the R600 on that is a bit misguided. The R600 was just a badly balanced design, with things such as huge amounts of the die being taken up by the ring bus and 512 bit memory interface, leaving no room for more shaders, TMUs etc.

That alongside poor AA execution, the dire 80nm manufacturing process and teething problems with the new architecture (not to mention the very recent takeover of ATi by AMD at the time), was really what made the R600 a bit of a flop.

Firstly, the card had AA hardware, which couldn't be used without dx10.1(the original spec) being used in games, so it had to shift AA from hardware, into software done in programmable shaders, to say DX10 wasn't responsible for that is to simply not know what you're talking about. To say it was unbalanced is again incorrect. it WOULDN'T have had more shaders without the ring bus in, it had the right amount of shaders and everything else it needed, its still a VERY good card, in dx10.1 it beats the 8800gtx quite easily , without it its still faster in a few games, behind in the majority of games but not by that much. Considering TSMC screwed them, had it launched at 65nm, with 10-15% higher clocks it WOULD have been faster than the 8800gtx in a lot more things, if DX10 was released in its original spec and every game from Vista's release onwards was released in dx10 "proper" the 2900XT would have beaten the 8800gtx in almost everything, whilst also being cheaper and running cooler.

Hardly a bad card, as said dx10 hachet job screwed the card pretty badly, added to TSMC screwing up 65nm(as they screwed the pooch on 55, and now 40nm and probably previous processes in the past just before I was reading news about it), its a fantastic design in everything except its size/price , the implementation with both manufacturing and Nvidia/MS/dx10 against it meant it would never be as good as it should have been, considering what it was designed for and how it had to fight in the end, the fact it was so close to the 8800gtx in so many games and beat it in any games is a testament to how good a design it was.

Nvidia's biggest problem over the next 2-3 years, is Intel, TWIMTBP is going to die a very very fast death, Intel simply crush Nvidia in terms of money to spend on similar campaigns, without programmers designing stuff for their cards from day one they will lost out a lot to AMD and Intel will have loads of dev's working to make its hardware work fantastically. IT will be interesting to see how the whole situation plays out, Intel are buying up programming firms and groups of people who are aimed at paralel programming so they are looking to have plenty of people for drivers and sending off to work with dev's for optimisation. It will be most interesting to see final reviews of the Larabee, less for performance(because its their first attempt and they'll improve competitiveness easily, thats assuming they aren't close at first) but more for design and seeing just how different it is. Its very possible they could have wanted to go for something massively different but in the end its far more similar to a ATi core than we've been led to believe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom