• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nVidia GT300 - GeForce GTX 380 yields are sub-30%

Associate
I was interested to see what Nvidia would bring out late or early next year. I really hope that Nvidia manages to fix these errors. From what it says here though it seems that ATI will probably be able to release a refresh at the same time or a bit later that the G300, messing Nvidia's plans once again.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
* The new shader architecture is automatically 30-33% faster shader for shader, clock for clock than the 200 series and the high end part is likely to have 512 SPs at a higher clockrate... with the MIMD arch. they are also capable of atleast 4+x the workload in some situations compared to the 200 series... ROPs and TMUs are atleast doubled over the 285GTX as well.

I believe you, but I'm just wondering if you have a source for that info?

Soldato
I assumed as much, shame.

Also, and don't quote me on this, but I believe that the equipment at a Fab is designed for a specific node - this is why it costs so much to run one.

For example, when you're done with 90nm and move fully to 65nm, most of your old equipment becomes useless.

So unless nVidia are willing to pay for the equipment themselves (which I doubt), any suggestion to TSMC that they should try GT300 on 45 or 50nm would probably be met with a rather straight "Foxtrot Oscar". ;)

[Edit] Yep, seems a new node means pretty much a new Fab.

Wiki said:
Typically an advance in chip-making technology requires a completely new fab to be built.

Last edited:
Associate
its all speculation and untill there is a press release from nv or we can compare the 2 cards then not to read to much into the rumours you see.it all looks to me to be fanboys spreading silly rumors to me and before i get flamed i have either card as long as it performs like it should.

don,t you think it be better to wait till next week when ati launch there cards and nv release a upto date press statement then we will have a better picture.

bru

bru

Soldato
not necessarily related, but im sure i read that ati only have to pay tsmc for each working die whereas nvidia pay tsmc for each wafer including all the faulty dies.
ive been searching for where i read it but so far no luck.

edit: typical i spend a couple of hours searching for the snippet of info and 5 mins after i post i find it .

brightsideofnews article

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Also, and don't quote me on this, but I believe that the equipment at a Fab is designed for a specific node - this is why it costs so much to run one.

For example, when you're done with 90nm and move fully to 65nm, most of your old equipment becomes useless.

So unless nVidia are willing to pay for the equipment themselves (which I doubt), any suggestion to TSMC that they should try GT300 on 45 or 50nm would probably be met with a rather straight "Foxtrot Oscar". ;)

[Edit] Yep, seems a new node means pretty much a new Fab.

Pretty much as I had assumed - but I'm more in touch with the R&D process than the "physical" side of manufacturing.

Soldato
Tbh as much fun as it is to poke at Nvidia current failure (karma anyone?) I hope they get ti sorted out so that the ATI/ Nvidia price war can continue and keep card prices down.

Soldato
This is looking like G80 vs R600, only with the roles reversed - I can see nVidia finally managing something competitive performance wise in Q2 next year, but it's never going to match on Thermals or Price by that time with R800 in full swing.
Guess I'll get a 5870 in a few weeks, hopefully it'll be the card to recreate the feat of lasting 2+ years like my 8800GTX.

All I can hope for is that nVidia can survive the next year or two (Tegra should help), have got something truly innovative in their design roadmap, and have enough fortune with processes to break back into the market. At the moment ATi's strategy looks unstoppable and the last thing we need is a one horse race (Then again, Larrabee has the potential and the resources to shake things up If Intel really want it to).

Last edited:
Soldato
that article as said, could be fake, these hack journalists are excellent at writing crap like this.......it reads a bit too ``tabloid``

you wont see the GT 300 till next year anyway...... but i was hoping for january

Associate
waw that sucks for nvidia. well they have been the dominent of the graphics card species for a while, they had to have a splinter somewhere, but maybe this ones a bit too deep.
however i have always praised nvidia cards for their reliability, ati cards are tbh all over the place in the last 2 gens of GCs, not to good at hardware bashers like crysis etc but roll in others.

Hope Nvidia sort themselves out.

Back
Top Bottom