• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nVidia GT300 - GeForce GTX 380 yields are sub-30%

Permabanned
IF this is true its bad for everyone , no competition at the high end = we all get screwed on prices

On the brighter side at least the ATI fanbois cant whine on about Nvidia price gouging cos it will ATI's turn to do it

Associate
I don't get it. What magical incantation of logic makes it nvidia's fault when TSMC can't build the thing they promised to deliver?

That's like an architect giving a construction company plans to build 416 houses...oh **** we're sorrrrry! haha! we only managed to build 7, the other 409 fell down...pay us anyway yeah?

Associate
Well tsmc might have screwed up but a bit of the blame has to be on nvidia because the design of their chip is obviously hard to make and causes problems for the shambolic tsmc setup. Nvidia should have done what ati did redesign to a smaller die rather then carrying on with the monolithic approach to gpu's that was running out of road so to speak anyway.

This is not good news for anyone and no one should be enjoying this because we need two strong companys battling it out for us to get the best prices and while i still don't believe ati will be like nvidia for pricing they probably will now increase their prices a little more then they would have done if a competitive card had been near to release. As for charlie yes we all know he has a problem with nvidia but the guy has been on the mark more quite often and while it is easy to bash him you always have to keep what he says (tech wise) in the back of your head.

Right now i am not sure that redoing g2xx series with dx11 would be good enough for nvidia as they would be picked to pieces by the many people looking to hit them for that policy and the embarassment of having to do that would also be something i cannot see nvidia doing.

Soldato
Some fud > http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15535/1/

Nvidia confident that GT300 wins over 5870 Print E-mail
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Wednesday, 16 September 2009 11:38

Several people confirm

Nvidia is still not revealing any details about its chip that we still call GT300 but one thing is getting quite certain. A few people who saw just leaked performance data on ATI's soon to launch Radeon HD 5870 have told Fudzilla that they are absolutely confident that GT300 will win over Radeon HD 5870.

Since GT300 has its GX2 brother they should not fear much against Radeon 5870 X2 whenever that comes out, as if Nvidia wins a single chip battle, they can win the dual one as well.

We can only confirm that GT300 is not a GT200 in 40nm with DirectX 11 support. It’s a brand new chip that was designed almost entirely from the ground up. Industry sources believe that this is the biggest change since G80 was launched and that you can expect such level of innovation and change.

The launch as far as we know is still slated for late November and hasn’t been confirmed.

Man of Honour
Yeild is usually used when talking about runs intended to either test the feasibility of the wafers for the mass market runs or actual batches intended for mass market - its unusual to use it in context of debug spins.

I don't see nVidia bringing the GT300 to retail this year let alone november, maybe a "paper launch" to scare people into not spending their money yet...

tbh

tbh

Associate
Sounds like Nvidia may have to prepare another NV30 style "Are you Ready?" campaign.

At least this time the final hardware should actually perform well if the report on the previous page is to be believed.

Associate
If the stuff about poor yields is true then the march next year estimate for nvidias new card might not be far off so i will deffo be buying the ati as i cba to wait that long.

Associate
Charlie's news feeds are a bit like written tantrums though, he'd have more respect by cutting out the emo. Anyway here's more unfounded spanners in the works!
Nvidia is still not revealing any details about its chip that we still call GT300 but one thing is getting quite certain. A few people who saw just leaked performance data on ATI's soon to launch Radeon HD 5870 have told Fudzilla that they are absolutely confident that GT300 will win over Radeon HD 5870.

Since GT300 has its GX2 brother they should not fear much against Radeon 5870 X2 whenever that comes out, as if Nvidia wins a single chip battle, they can win the dual one as well.

We can only confirm that GT300 is not a GT200 in 40nm with DirectX 11 support. It’s a brand new chip that was designed almost entirely from the ground up. Industry sources believe that this is the biggest change since G80 was launched and that you can expect such level of innovation and change.

The launch as far as we know is still slated for late November and hasn’t been confirmed.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15535/1/

The speculation is wearing thin now, but I can't wait for both architectures to be honest, should be an epic benchmark war :)

Back
Top Bottom