• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia misses OpenGL 4.0 promises

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Only exception to this rule is truly poorly coded games like BFBC2 which basically force you to get a driver set just for that game to play it to the same level graphics wise (aka playable, vsync and AA working in dx11) as every other game out lol.

Thats not really ATIs fault through to be fair. and yeah i do agree to a degree but I m a ATI user as you can see I m running on 10-3s now and they are not worst, than the last set and most of the bugs don't apply to me, more win 7 users or with HD5XXX cards

not saying i noticed anyway I just think that is odd and try again when I do find a bug I don't wine about it. I just try and fix it or just try not to take notice of it

the only problem is just cause 2 will not start, but I know its the game and not the driver i m using as I ve had it playing before on these drivers and very well

Soldato
Thats not really ATIs fault through to be fair. and yeah i do agree to a degree but I m a ATI user as you can see I m running on 10-3s now and they are not worst, than the last set and most of the bugs don't apply to me, more win 7 users or with HD5XXX cards

not saying i noticed anyway I just think that is odd and try again when I do find a bug I don't wine about it. I just try and fix it or just try not to take notice of it

the only problem is just cause 2 will not start, but I know its the game and not the driver i m using as I ve had it playing before on these drivers and very well

yeah I fully agree. Its not ATI's fault the game is a buggy piece of turd lol. Personally I get the best results with the 10.4b in the game at the moment BUT the 10.5 v1 beta's (I'll explain the v1 in about 10 mins in another thread im about to make :p) have better IQ (forced AA works for the first time in BC2 for me with those)

Personally I like the choice of drivers as its not exactly hard to switch between them

Man of Honour
As for Rroff, you do realise that the new drivers are the rushed out gtx 400 set with a different ini file right? Aka rushed out to try and salvage some of the debacle that was the 470/480 launch.

They are not - obviously same development branch but these have quite a few changes/fixes to nvapi, open gl/d3d support and driver kernel. I was running 197.41 prior to these and theres some marked differences to SLI support.

Last edited:

AMG

AMG

Soldato
some users don't like that choice, personally I do, if something don't work cos ATI broke them in this one you can grantee they will get a fix for it in like a week or so, than fix it completely by the next..

than like you say you got all your betas and custom drivers :p

Permabanned
some users don't like that choice, personally I do, if something don't work cos ATI broke them in this one you can grantee they will get a fix for it in like a week or so, than fix it completely by the next..

than like you say you got all your betas and custom drivers :p

Please take note, the word you're looking for is "then" not "than".

Permabanned
I don't get why anyone would complain about regular drivers unless they were trying to defend a company that doesn't do regular drivers. :confused:

Man of Honour
I'm not complaining about regular driver updates, tho I do think that having a set schedule for updates is kinda pointless but if thats what floats your boat I'm really not bothered.

What I do find a little strange is people complaining about nVidia's release schedule as its hardly lacking by any stretch of imagination and then holding up ATI's schedule in comparison - which has no real tangible benefits.

Soldato
I'm not complaining about regular driver updates, tho I do think that having a set schedule for updates is kinda pointless but if thats what floats your boat I'm really not bothered.

What I do find a little strange is people complaining about nVidia's release schedule as its hardly lacking by any stretch of imagination and then holding up ATI's schedule in comparison - which has no real tangible benefits.

Well the fact an ATI user has performance vs stability drivers to choose from in the form of 10.3 official and 10.3a/b then numerous full beta drivers (6 now) since the nvidia release before the one they brought out earlier on in the evening.

How can you say that doesn't have a tangible benefit? You do realise it goes hand in hand with brand loyality also when you know the company you spend a few hundred quid with actually cares about the performance that hardware gives.

Soldato
Nv on the whole are pretty good with drivers, they have all been pretty much transparent for me. Which is how drivers should be.

That said, theres no need to be forcing random betas and upgrading every 2 weeks, its a waste of time, a refresh 3 - 4 times a year is more than plenty unless there is a specific issue.

Thats the thing I cant get my head around about ATI, everyone banging on about different driver versions all the time... why? Nv seem have one driver 'to rule them all' lol.

Man of Honour
Its not like ATI's rolling updates have any real benefits... sure the odd thing gets fixed, but your generally left waiting 2-3+ months anyhow for fixes on the real issues i.e. grey screen of death, flickering issues, etc.

Soldato
Its not like ATI's rolling updates have any real benefits... sure the odd thing gets fixed, but your generally left waiting 2-3+ months anyhow for fixes on the real issues i.e. grey screen of death, flickering issues, etc.

And Nvidia is better in this regard because? Their last driver killed graphics cards due to a serious fan speed flaw. A perfect driver doesn't exist, thats why they get updated...

Man of Honour
Who said anything about a perfect driver?

They pulled that GPU melting driver down the moment they were aware of it - tho its unforgiveable it slipped through - and had a fixed driver up a couple of days later - infact it seems to have been a positive thing (for those that haven't had their GPUs killed by it :S) as the releases since seem to have more attention paid to them again.

Soldato
And Nvidia is better in this regard because? Their last driver killed graphics cards due to a serious fan speed flaw. A perfect driver doesn't exist, thats why they get updated...

I am glad you brought that up actually. People jumping on new software for the sake of it, is just daft. This is a prime example. Its like a large business rolling out a new windows service pack with no testing. its daft. :confused:

This is the only serious issue nvidia have ever had with a driver, and its only the people who compulsivley refresh drivers that fell victim.

If you are changing graphics drivers more than 4 times a year you have to ask yourself: what do I enjoy more, messing about with drivers? or actually playing the games they were built for?

Permabanned
I am glad you brought that up actually. People jumping on new software for the sake of it, is just daft. This is a prime example. Its like a large business rolling out a new windows service pack with no testing. its daft. :confused:

This is the only serious issue nvidia have ever had with a driver, and its only the people who compulsivley refresh drivers that fell victim.

If you are changing graphics drivers more than 4 times a year you have to ask yourself: what do I enjoy more, messing about with drivers? or actually playing the games they were built for?

What happens hen a new game comes out?

Updating your drivers once a month is hardly strenuous.

Caporegime
Wow that didn't take long to turn into a fanboy fight, largely started by the Nvidia guys all having a go at Charlie for being petty. You'd have a point if they said Nvidia's dad smells, but he didn't.

Its pretty simple, he doesn't care about OGL 4.0 support, he doesn't care when its available, its got smeg all to do with AMD having a beta driver out.

THe issue is Nvidia made a whole huge deal about how they'd have a 4.0 supporting driver at launch, they went on and on about how AMD don't support 4.0 yet, and Nvidia will the day their hardware is available.

Try and put two and two together, if Nvidia said they'd try their best to have full, or beta support on launch, thats one thing, but when they PROMISE something while throwing it in the "AMD don't have it " list of reasons their hardware is better........ then they completely fail to actually provide it, its bloody funny for any non Nvidia fanboys to stand up and laugh at them. Another attempt to claim how much better they are, failed miserably.

Its not what they failed to deliver, and its not the date, its the way Nvidia yet again promised something, like Fermi's within a month, last October, that is the point.

If Nvidia were ever just honest, no one would bat an eyelid, its the ridiculous lying and incompetance that tends to get on everyones tataa's.

Then theres mocking AMD for having a not great beta 4.0 out already, when they haven't made any promises and are just getting it going, and barely working beta's is where support starts. The first beta of any new API is going to be bloody horrible, because companies can't start to try and support it, till its available, and till its available and companies start finding bugs and things they need, AMD can't start working on those things.

Soldato

The benefit is that there will fixes in a months time that at least some will benefit from instead of no fixes for anyone until NV release a driver at an unknown time & is one of the reasons why i will not go NV so there is plenty of reason.

Caporegime
What happens hen a new game comes out?

Updating your drivers once a month is hardly strenuous.

Well, with Nvidia the game will most likely work, and SLI for that matter.

I have no recent experience of ATI drivers, maybe they don't play games newer than the driver?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
re: ATi's driver update schedule - well, I must say it's worked wonders so far for getting some decent Linux drivers....My 5770 still has the following issues - still got crappy multi-screen support, still got a buggy control centre that fails to load with su credentials so you can't change much, still got worse gaming performance under Linux than my old 9600GT, still got worse 2D performance than the aforementioned 9600GT. Funnily enough, Charlie never seems to rag on ATi for providing ****-poor drivers under Linux.

Yes, nVidia have screwed up big time. And Charlie is right to call them on it for the most part (though I wish he'd stick to 110% rock-solid facts sometimes rather than project so hard that his website nearly drowns in the bile). But ATi are hardly bullet-proof themselves, and it's about time both companies started sorting their respective issues out.

Back
Top Bottom