• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Permabanned
Nvidia 100% controls these designs' approval. If they approved it then it's their **** up just as much if not more (because they actually had more time with the chips, unlike the AIBs).

You obv did not read what I posted earlier, AiB took shortcuts for profits AGAIN, noting learned from the past.

IMO Nvidia should take it off them like before and say here > This is the Card we got made by a factory using only parts we specifically spec'd, stick your sticker and Bios on it put it in your brand box and sell it or GTFO.

Soldato
You obv did not read what I posted earlier, AiB took shortcuts for profits AGAIN, noting learned from the past.

IMO Nvidia should take it off them like before and say here > This is the Card we got made by a factory using only parts we specifically spec'd, stick your sticker and Bios on it put it in your brand box and sell it or GTFO.
Do you understand that AIBs submit their designs to Nvidia first before they can even begin to sell them? Do you understand that the card CANNOT go out unless Nvidia looks at it and says "OK"?

Permabanned
Do you understand that AIBs submit their designs to Nvidia first before they can even begin to sell them? Do you understand that the card CANNOT go out unless Nvidia looks at it and says "OK"?

Seems you do not or were too young to remember last time or are simply naive

They can send a card to get the OK then later decide to change parts?

A bit like how Samsung somehow passed the srtick G-sync Comparability with their Odyssey G7/G9 but the ones customers (myself inc) got flicker like mad.

Soldato
Because it is. For lots of reasons.

1. Performance per watt is no better than Turing. What I mean is, down clock your 3080 so it uses the same power TGP as the 2080Ti on TSMC and watch what happens.
2. There will be very few cards at £650 (yours has gone up to £720 and will probably go up again based on the news we have)
3. It's a changed landscape. Two new consoles are coming with supposed 2080 Super performance and AMD have 7nm cards coming.
4. Every single part of it was lied about, from performance to everything else.
5. The 3090 is even more laughable.

However, none of that compares to how poor 8nm Samsung is. It's just a poor node and that is fact. It's cheaper, and if you get a decent card by hook or by crook yes it's faster than the previous cards but then Devil's Canyon was a few % faster than Haswell. That didn't mean it was necessarily good.

You will understand this when Nvidia release Hopper and it literally smashes everything ever made.

Total lie on point 1.

There are many reviewers who have managed to reduce the 3080 from 320w to 220w (50w less than 2080ti) while only losing 1-5% performance making it still faster than an overclocked 2080ti.

I kinda agree on the "8nm" node, I'm going to call it 10nm because that's what it actually is. I don't think it's a terrible node, it's just not on the same level as TSMC's 7nm node. Building Ampere on TSMC 7nm would have provided over 40% increase in transistor density and assuming Nvidia passed on those benefits to the customer these Ampere cards would be 30% faster across the board in games than they are now (3090 would be double 2080ti performance)

Last edited:
Soldato
They can send a card to get the OK then later decide to change parts?
They absolutely cannot because then Nvidia shafts them and they're out of business. Unless you think Nvidia's approval is there just for show and then they don't care about their perception - in which case I'd say you need to brush up of your knowledge of Nvidia, that's not something that would fly with them.

Permabanned
They absolutely cannot because then Nvidia shafts them and they're out of business. Unless you think Nvidia's approval is there just for show and then they don't care about their perception - in which case I'd say you need to brush up of your knowledge of Nvidia, that's not something that would fly with them.

There is no such thing as cannot in this case, it was exactly what they did do last time and did get dealt with and same this time.

You really think Nvidia give them a strict spec and are OK with them ignoring that spec and cheap-ing out and causing a ton of RMA's?

And no doubt the same story for the G7/G9 now appears as not G-Sync Comp in latest driver (I cannot conform this as returned mine).

Associate
I just signed up... amidst this... chaos...
1) Id like a 3080. Gonna wait till the dust settles a bit. Unsure about the returns issues I heard folk are having. Hardware? Could be. Or drivers. Dont think we can be sure, though, can we?
2) Can someone explain why, if a jump from 8gb ram to 10gb ram would be OK (presumably that jump is sufficient else the 3080 10GB would not have been released)... why would 20GB be needed, or how would it even be usefully usable to gamers, on the next 3080 that is rumoured. Or is the 20gb variant for non-gamers, and 3D modelers or?
3) For me personally, cant see how a tiny 10% increase in performance for the 3090 can be justified by a nearly 100% increase in price. Actually, I just cant afford the 3090. So its the 3080 10gb or maybe the 3080 20gb for me. If anyone is waiting for the 20gb, mind if I ask why?
4) What are the chances of the 3080 returns being hardware bugs, not software driver bugs?
Thanks for your help and time folks.

Soldato
I just signed up... amidst this... chaos...
1) Id like a 3080. Gonna wait till the dust settles a bit. Unsure about the returns issues I heard folk are having. Hardware? Could be. Or drivers. Dont think we can be sure, though, can we?
2) Can someone explain why, if a jump from 8gb ram to 10gb ram would be OK (presumably that jump is sufficient else the 3080 10GB would not have been released)... why would 20GB be needed, or how would it even be usefully usable to gamers, on the next 3080 that is rumoured. Or is the 20gb variant for non-gamers, and 3D modelers or?
3) For me personally, cant see how a tiny 10% increase in performance for the 3090 can be justified by a nearly 100% increase in price. Actually, I just cant afford the 3090. So its the 3080 10gb or maybe the 3080 20gb for me. If anyone is waiting for the 20gb, mind if I ask why?
4) What are the chances of the 3080 returns being hardware bugs, not software driver bugs?
Thanks for your help and time folks.

1) I wouldn't worry, you're covered under RMA regardless.
2) More VRAM can be useful for games that allow you to stream more textures and higher fidelity ones, as well as for modding. It can also be useful for VR as framebuffers are larger there and the anti-aliasing techniques are weaker so a lot of times people resort to supersampling which is also vram intensive. It's not really that you might want 20 GB but rather that you'd want more than 10 GB, but since there are only 2 choices... you get what you need. Particularly for people buying a card to keep for 4-5 years or more, 10 GB might prove to be a handicap especially if you care about texture quality & streaming capacity. We don't really know, tbh, but no one regretted having more memory available. :p
3) See 2)
4. See 1)

Associate
Thanks Poneros. If I was having new card problems, Im not sure how Id know if the problems were the card, and if they were the card, how id know whether it was hardware or software. I was looking at a 2gb backup card for 40 quid, but at present I dont have a backup card, even if I was to return a faulty one. I think I may just wait until closer to Xmas, and try to learn more about the 20gb card/what else is coming out. I also know nothing about the navi cards. Thanks for your help.

Man of Honour
Can I not just take some USB memory sticks and solder them on to the 3080 PCB to make up the 24GB of vram? :p

If you are handy with a hot air gun probably could buy some GDDR6(X) and upgrade the card - might not even need firmware modification depending on how they've implemented it.

Back
Top Bottom