• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup, there are a lot of other GPU's out there. :)

Well if you want to include all the other GPU's out there then a 2060 is super high end, seeing as NVidia have been making GPU's for 25 years and the 2060 is certainly a lot faster than most on that list.

Soldato
Yeah, it will be hard to market a Gpu that costs the same or more as an entire console unless the performance is way above the console level.

Not really, if i wanted to switch to console I'd be binning over £2k's worth of peripherals, so a gpu that costs the same as a console for the same performance still works out wayyyy cheaper for me.

Soldato
Not really, if i wanted to switch to console I'd be binning over £2k's worth of peripherals, so a gpu that costs the same as a console for the same performance still works out wayyyy cheaper for me.

I was toying with the idea of getting a new-gen console instead of a GPU, but I fired up my PS4 a few weeks ago to grab the Uncharted trilogy that was going for free.

Nice game but even playing on a 55" TV, it looks squashed compared to my UW.

Not sure I can go back to consoles long term now, and Sony and MS don't seem keen to ever support UW.

Soldato
You could sell those peripherals so it still works out cheaper or even no cost at all.

Soldato
I might have to write some code to check the latest page for the words mid and range and email me to let me know when this is worth reading again...

Associate
its all just marketing really all you need do is compare the silicon size with memory bandwidth at a given tier and see how far the $ or £ gets you like for like

If you're going by wording in press releases, stuff that's printed on the box or in web shops then you're ultimately just being led in the direction people want to take you. Which is basically have you pay more money....

You can see the pinnacle of all this with "the Asus tax" or "Strix comedy pricing" where it all comes together in a class leading product that is ridiculously priced like some builder who doesn't want to do the work but will if you make it worth their while. At the end of this year you'll be able to get from Asus a 2K GPU with a 4k (price not resolution) monitor to satisfy your high end gaming.... six thousand pounds wtf :eek:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
its all just marketing really all you need do is compare the silicon size with memory bandwidth at a given tier and see how far the $ or £ gets you like for like

If you're going by wording in press releases, stuff that's printed on the box or in web shops then you're ultimately just being led in the direction people want to take you. Which is basically have you pay more money....

You can see the pinnacle of all this with "the Asus tax" or "Strix comedy pricing" where it all comes together in a class leading product that is ridiculously priced like some builder who doesn't want to do the work but will if you make it worth their while. At the end of this year you'll be able to get from Asus a 2K GPU with a 4k (price not resolution) monitor to satisfy your high end gaming.... six thousand pounds wtf :eek:
Indeed. That’s why the 2060 never has and never will be a high end part. It is just marketing. Nvidia next may try and have you believe the 3050 is high end, just because their marketing department says it is, does not make it so. Just need to use some common sense.

Soldato

Asus monitors are not class leading any longer. LG's CX OLED's are far superior, only drawback is the smallest panel is 48". Less than half the price for a far superior panel with no back light bleed, or the other issues that plague 'high' end PC monitors. Even if they burn in after a couple of years (unlikely, given the tech in the latest gen) you can buy two of them have money left over, compare to the top end Asus nonsense.

Soldato
Indeed. That’s why the 2060 never has and never will be a high end part. It is just marketing. Nvidia next may try and have you believe the 3050 is high end, just because their marketing department says it is, does not make it so. Just need to use some common sense.

The confusion comes because a lot of people are still hanging on to the 1000 series and see the 20xx as high end simply because it's the 'new generation'.

Soldato
You could sell those peripherals so it still works out cheaper or even no cost at all.

On what planet could I recover even half the value of 2nd hand peripherals? Plus then I'd have a console that can't play the games I want to play and no peripherals to play them on even if I wanted to. Sounds like a lose lose to me.

Caporegime
Asus monitors are not class leading any longer. LG's CX OLED's are far superior, only drawback is the smallest panel is 48". Less than half the price for a far superior panel with no back light bleed, or the other issues that plague 'high' end PC monitors. Even if they burn in after a couple of years (unlikely, given the tech in the latest gen) you can buy two of them have money left over, compare to the top end Asus nonsense.
From what I've just been reading, they're no good for people who play a single game for long periods daily. E.g, WoW players. I'm not a WoW player but I have one or two game I play a lot, with the same UI on screen for hours.

Quite likely still with OLED to get image retention of the permanent variety.

Soldato

Which ASUS monitor is the LG half the price of?

Soldato

Yes and no. The high end monitors are ludicrously priced and i would never pay £2k+ for a monitor. As an owner they are great but they are not without faults just like any screen. OLED has probably one of the worst panel lotteries going in my experience.

There are certain things they just cannot replace. I only really use mine for rpg/controller based games where visuals matter as they do look fantastic, everything else goes on the monitor due to M+K. Couldnt imagine playing mmorpg games or fps on it for example as its just too big and far enough away and you miss a lot of detail.

Mainly down to space. As to enjoy fully the screen needs to be atleast 4-5ft+ away even at 48" and a lot of people dont have the desk space for that kind of setup. My 55" is a decent distance away.

I'd still take an oled over any monitor for pure visuals though.

Soldato
ASUS ProArt PA32UCX-K 32 Inch Professional Monitor, for one :) 32" IPS for close to £3k :p

Oof, I’ll put that one on the lottery winnings list.

EDIT - I think that one is only 60Hz, there are cheaper 144Hz options from ASUS and Acer.

Last edited:
Associate
From what I've just been reading, they're no good for people who play a single game for long periods daily. E.g, WoW players. I'm not a WoW player but I have one or two game I play a lot, with the same UI on screen for hours.

Quite likely still with OLED to get image retention of the permanent variety.
I thought the LG CX's had some anti-retention trickery built in?

Back
Top Bottom