• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I just want something with Better performance than my 1080ti for around £600. If they can manage that I'll be a happy bunny. it's nice to have a dream.

Soldato
Anyone planning to sell their 20xx while prices are still high? I realised I had nothing demanding to play until Cyberpunk so thought I would take advantage.

I did and got a good price for my 2080. Bought a 5700xt to tide me over for under £300. Now got a decent pot of cash waiting as a base but as the 5700xt is giving me good performance I can wait till at least this time next year - sit back and watch others trying to grab the new releases and laugh at the early adopters ! ;)

Caporegime
I did and got a good price for my 2080. Bought a 5700xt to tide me over for under £300. Now got a decent pot of cash waiting as a base but as the 5700xt is giving me good performance I can wait till at least this time next year - sit back and watch others trying to grab the new releases and laugh at the early adopters ! ;)
Got mine for £330. Performance is solid at 1440P, l'm done with paying a premium for early adopting, I'm going to sit and watch for a bit too. :)

Soldato
Got mine for £330. Performance is solid at 1440P, l'm done with paying a premium for early adopting, I'm going to sit and watch for a bit too. :)

You're not alone. Really fancied a new card for Cyberpunk but the fund have gone elsewhere. Sure my 5700XT will be fine at 1440p

Associate
We can discuss the Eurovision Song Contest if you'd prefer?
We probably should as that tends to get watched on TV and so there's a pretty close link there too:D Which GPU/TV combo do you think would be best to watch Albania's entry with? Don't let this indecision take you from behind!

Associate
Asus monitors are not class leading any longer. LG's CX OLED's are far superior, only drawback is the smallest panel is 48". Less than half the price for a far superior panel with no back light bleed, or the other issues that plague 'high' end PC monitors. Even if they burn in after a couple of years (unlikely, given the tech in the latest gen) you can buy two of them have money left over, compare to the top end Asus nonsense.

that's a BIG bloody drawback imho, no way 48" is a desktop monitor which therefore excludes it for most PC gamers. What are you going to do wall mount it and pull your desk back 2-3ft? :(

Associate
that's a BIG bloody drawback imho, no way 48" is a desktop monitor which therefore excludes it for most PC gamers. What are you going to do wall mount it and pull your desk back 2-3ft? :(
It's really only a little bit too big, I've a 40" 4K monitor and it's at arm's length from me on my desk and it's THE biggest jump in gaming immersion I've ever experienced in 22 years of gaming. It's similar to watching a film on an Imax screen vs one on a TV at home as in it fills a lot of my immediate field of vision.

Caporegime
Somehow I feel this next lot of GPU's are not going to change the pricing much, I don't think we will see 5700XT / 2070 Super performance for under £350.
There seems to be a 240mm2 RDNA2 die, that's too close to the 250mm2 Navi10, I think that's going to be the direct 5700XT replacement at 2.4Ghz making it 20% quicker for £400+ again, the cut down die for £350+.
Nvidia will have the same in 3060TI form with a 3060 none TI cut down.
The GPU's below those will be the crappy 128Bit ones at £300.
Thats the way it seems to be going these days.... Mid range £400. For £300 you get junk.

Associate
That's true!! If the 3070 does offer 2080 Ti performance for £400 I might get that. If there's £150 different but the performance is there for the 3080 (25-35%) I'll get that instead. The Ti/Super will be too much for me the justify if I want a PS5 too for me and the girlfriend :D

Dude there is no way a 3070 is costing £400 and delivering 2080Ti performance, even more remote is a 3080 costing £550 with a 2080Ti +30%. Don't get me wrong I'd love it to be so indeed I would argue that's where it should be but the reality is Nvidia would rather you didn't buy their GPUs than give away that price/performance.

What Nvidia are most likely to do is tell you a 3070 is 200% faster, ram home the RT performance whilst showing you a £2k GPU is indeed genuinely faster and your £500 3070 benefits from that somehow but is actually only 30% faster than a 2070S in the games you play whilst costing the same or there about's IF you are lucky.

Associate
It's really only a little bit too big, I've a 40" 4K monitor and it's at arm's length from me on my desk and it's THE biggest jump in gaming immersion I've ever experienced in 22 years of gaming. It's similar to watching a film on an Imax screen vs one on a TV at home as in it fills a lot of my immediate field of vision.

I have a 40" 4K already at about 1 1/2 arm lengths. For sims and 3rd person its great but for first person and general productivity its already too big imho.

Caporegime
Somehow I feel this next lot of GPU's are not going to change the pricing much, I don't think we will see 5700XT / 2070 Super performance for under £350.
The reality is the new model for a couple years now, is that new cards sit on top of the product stack (and pricing) from the previous gen. Therefore it's completely understandable (lol) that prices are always higher than before. It just works!

/s

I have a 40" 4K already at about 1 1/2 arm lengths. For sims and 3rd person its great but for first person and general productivity its already too big imho.
Good to hear people's thoughts on this. I did at one time have a 32" TV on my desk as a monitor (sent it back due to VA panel black crush being really bad). It was probably as large as I'd want on this smallish desk. I can't really imagine anything bigger unless you start to sit further and further away, which defeats the point really, as you're just paying more money to sit further from your screen :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why will the game be badly optimised ? :p Experiened RT - its not all that.
Let's hope not.

As for RT I agree currently it is not all that. Hence why I never bothered going RTX just yet. Lets see how it is in Cyberpunk and 2021 games.

To be honest RT likely won't be all that for another console generation. By then hardware maybe be where it needs to be.

Caporegime
Let's hope not.

As for RT I agree currently it is not all that. Hence why I never bothered going RTX just yet. Lets see how it is in Cyberpunk and 2021 games.

To be honest RT likely won't be all that for another console generation. By then hardware maybe be where it needs to be.
As well as the game artists being more experienced using RT in their game scenes. Whilst it's new the temptation appears to be to make everything shine like the sun, from bald heads to tea coasters. MAXIMUM SHINY!

Don
There seems to be a 240mm2 RDNA2 die, that's too close to the 250mm2 Navi10, I think that's going to be the direct 5700XT replacement at 2.4Ghz making it 20% quicker for £400+ again, the cut down die for £350+.
Nvidia will have the same in 3060TI form with a 3060 none TI cut down.
The GPU's below those will be the crappy 128Bit ones at £300.
Thats the way it seems to be going these days.... Mid range £400. For £300 you get junk.

+1 to this really, hope I am wrong and it all gets turned on its head but I can not see it happening unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom