• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Man of Honour
I think you are probably right, even though I wouldn't be surprised to see prices come down a little, maybe £50-£100 just due to the competition.

Don't hold your breath....

Ampere high end are produced on bigger dies than even Volta and Turing.

Even a click bait site would be embarrassed to state the obvious that NVidia prices will be going up.

Soldato
I have a 40" 4K already at about 1 1/2 arm lengths. For sims and 3rd person its great but for first person and general productivity its already too big imho.

Glad someone else feels that way, I moved from 40" 4K to 36" Ultrawide and much prefer it for gaming and work. Felt like I was marginally too close for the 40"

bru

bru

Soldato
Yes we all know that Turing increased the prices by quite a lot and changed the tiers around a bit. But this is not the norm, if it was then after 22 generations of cards they would be much more expensive than they are currently.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes we all know that Turing increased the prices by quite a lot and changed the tiers around a bit. But this is not the norm, if it was then after 22 generations of cards they would be much more expensive than they are currently.
Exactly. I just can’t see prices going up again, they already did a lot with Turing. At worst they will maintain that.

But then maybe Kaapstad is talking about the Titan class GPU’s, as he is like one of the handful of people on this whole forum that buys those these days. Sure they may go up, but can you blame them, those are milk’em cards. You want the best, you gonna pay! :p:D

Soldato
If we weren't on the cusp of a new console generation then higher Nvidia prices as long as AMD don't have competing products would be feasible to believe.

However fortunately this time round Nvidia have the pressure of consoles eating in to their profits. If they raise the prices too much they will tip the balance and customers will just buy a new console instead of over spend on a GPU.

And if prices go up what a 3080ti regular edition will be £1400, a 3080 £900 and a 3070 £650?

I just cant see. People cant afford those prices. The world is going in to an epic deep recession.

Soldato
If we weren't on the cusp of a new console generation then higher Nvidia prices as long as AMD don't have competing products would be feasible to believe.

However fortunately this time round Nvidia have the pressure of consoles eating in to their profits. If they raise the prices too much they will tip the balance and customers will just buy a new console instead of over spend on a GPU.

And if prices go up what a 3080ti regular edition will be £1400, a 3080 £900 and a 3070 £650?

I just cant see. People cant afford those prices. The world is going in to an epic deep recession.

I was too young to remember the GPU landscape after the 360 and PS3 launched so many someone else can comment, but with the PS4 and Xbone Nvidia didn't really have much to fear considering how weak the hardware was for the base consoles, notebook CPU and 2012 budget gpu. PS5 and Xbox are very competitive now, and hopefully will be under £500.

Soldato

People always find money from somewhere and they just use credit.

If you have £650 would you buy a PS5 for £650 (no sale of old GPU) or a 3070 for £650 (considering you also would sell your old GPU)
Early prices for PS5 and Xbox will be high at first then they will just duke it out with a pricing war. MS are having to close stores and cut jobs they cant afford to sell the Xbox at too big a loss.

Nvidia wont see the consoles as a threat or the same market so will price what they want. People had chance to vote with their wallet last time round and it didnt happen.

Soldato

If you have £650 would you buy a PS5 for £650 (no sale of old GPU) or a 3070 for £650 (considering you also would sell your old GPU)
Early prices for PS5 and Xbox will be high at first then they will just duke it out with a pricing war. MS are having to close stores and cut jobs they cant afford to sell the Xbox at too big a loss.

Nvidia wont see the consoles as a threat or the same market so will price what they want. People had chance to vote with their wallet last time round and it didnt happen.

It'll never happen unless the world goes into a recession, like Foxeye has mentioned people who can't afford it will just get it on finance and pay it off over 12/24 months and those who can well.... they probably have too much excess cash and won't care.

Soldato

They also can't afford for their consoles to sell poorly. these consoles are aimed at the average Joe and they aren't so willing to part with £500+ for a games console.

Soldato
Nvidia wont see the consoles as a threat or the same market....snip

They'd better.

My money could go ether way. Come to think of it, same goes for my brother. He's getting back into driving games on his old Play Station and thinking about building a computer for a proper sim rig/ titles. However, he's also interested in the new Play Station coming out. I think he's leaning toward the new console ATM but Nvidia or AMD has a chance to get his money too.

If they try to overplay their hand, they will end up losing sales and money. No manufacturer is holding all the cards now...not even Nvidia.

Soldato

Agreed. There were people buying the cyberpunk Ti’s for 2-3k a pop so there will be many many people looking at GPU’s and buying them regardless of the price. As after all these people either arent bothered by a console or simply own both.

Near every release people are buying them or preordering them usually overpriced to own them before everyone else.

I’ll be buying a PS5 most likely and then depending on performance and pricing likely a new gpu as well.

Associate
+1 This is the ONLY way to measure progress, new names and numbers are meaningless as are new cards with exactly or very close to the same performance at the same price point or more when its Nvidia.

+9000

Pretty much why I have been unimpressed since Pascal. Sure the 1070 was close to 980ti, but at a price much higher than 970. And it got worse with Turing. At this rate, the 3070 will be trading blows with a 2080 super at only $100 less than a 2080. Basically no real improvement.

Technology only moves forward only ig you can measurably see it getting better. When we measure correctly with price, we haven't come very far in 5 years.

I'd like to buy a 3070 for Cyberpunk after my 2nd hand 980ti died, but if it's over £450 and/or weaker than 2080ti... fat chance. I'll go back to buying 2nd hand again. Even if it dies again in 4 years.

Soldato
Pretty much why I have been unimpressed since Pascal. Sure the 1070 was close to 980ti, but at a price much higher than 970. And it got worse with Turing. At this rate, the 3070 will be trading blows with a 2080 super at only $100 less than a 2080. Basically no real improvement.
Maybe AMD will step in this time if nvidia's offerings aren't up to scratch.

Back
Top Bottom