• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Sounds like AMD Big Navi might be a bit of a damp squib after all :(

2 years and according to the most recent leaks they've only managed to get performance on par with 2080Ti (or slightly more in games AMD do well in)

This won't help with Nvidia's top tier pricing for their next lot of GPUs

There is something not quite right about all these rumours:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-5700-xt-tuf-evo/28.html

At 1080p,an RTX2080TI is 33% faster than an RX5700XT,and 49% faster at 4K.

So all the rumours hint,at double the number of CUs,(80 up from 40),almost double the memory bandwidth,plus uarch changes. Also additionally RDNA2 has improved performance/watt over RDNA1.

So despite this it is barely 50% faster than an RX5700XT,which uses a small 250MM2 die??

Yet if you look at the RX5500XT 4GB its literally half an RX5700XT 8GB and has half the performance.

The only way any of these makes sense,is if big Navi is actually a smaller chip with less than 80 CUs,ie,its actually a smallish die.

Soldato
Sounds like AMD Big Navi might be a bit of a damp squib after all :(

2 years and according to the most recent leaks they've only managed to get performance on par with 2080Ti (or slightly more in games AMD do well in)

This won't help with Nvidia's top tier pricing for their next lot of GPUs

It's a matter of price, at $349-$399 will be ok.

Associate
The only way any of these makes sense,is if big Navi is actually a smaller chip with less than 80 CUs,ie,its actually a smallish die.

That is my fear I'm not gonna deny it. AMD will obviously have to spill the beans on this soon for their board partners so this nugget of info is essentially the missing link along with the 'so how much ya want for dat'. All the noise around performance is just that noise totally unverifiable and highly opinionated.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
But this would be a huge catch up job by AMD.

Can they really match Nvidia this time round?

It would be like Arsenal winning the league next year if AMD manage it!

I dont think they will match (power consumption AND clockspeed) the best nvidia card when its out, I consider green team have a plan B to trump whatever AMD can output. It will then cascade down to whats on offer the rungs lower which is what most of us will be picking the low hanging fruit (hoping).

Caporegime
But this would be a huge catch up job by AMD.

Can they really match Nvidia this time round?

AMD caught Intel with their pants around their ankles when everyone, including me had written AMD off, 80%+ of DIY CPU sales are Ryzen, Zen 2 is now in Laptop's and with that Ryzen Laptop sales are climbing vertical, in the Data Centre AMD are 2X + faster than anything Intel have, AMD's top of the range Mainstream CPU is as fast if not faster than Intel's top of the range HEDT.

AMD are humiliating Intel in the CPU world and that shows in what their share prices are doing, in the last week AMD are up 30% to near $80 a Share while Intel are down 20% to under $50 a share.

Don't underestimate what AMD can do with a bit of R&D monies, they are stuffing an < RTX 2080TI into a games console.

Soldato
AMD tho do seem to be messing up one thing and that is drivers. I dont own an AMD GPU but I do see in the media a lot of reports of AMD driver problems.

Plus the last 3 iterations of the Ryzen chipset drivers I have been experiencing installation issues so that one is hitting me personally.

Getting the drivers right is a basic requirement. They cant get this wrong.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
AMD tho do seem to be messing up one thing and that is drivers. I dont own an AMD GPU but I do see in the media a lot of reports of AMD driver problems.

Plus the last 3 iterations of the Ryzen chipset drivers I have been experiencing installation issues so that one is hitting me personally.

I was on a 290x for years - then an interim with 2060 6gb before grabbing a vega56 on black friday deal. Over all them years I havnt had driver problems as exaggerated by some, and I also got a Ryzen 3600 last year. The chipset drivers have been fine. I didnt install the latest one as it wasnt anything useful from the changelog.

I understand people have issues but some of the driver sniping is blanket stuff and people send it back hastily when people with very similar systems have no bother. AMD did need to improve and after some recent flak with the tech-tubers they seem to have listened.

Soldato
I was on a 290x for years - then an interim with 2060 6gb before grabbing a vega56 on black friday deal. Over all them years I havnt had driver problems as exaggerated by some, and I also got a Ryzen 3600 last year. The chipset drivers have been fine. I didnt install the latest one as it wasnt anything useful from the changelog.

I understand people have issues but some of the driver sniping is blanket stuff and people send it back hastily when people with very similar systems have no bother. AMD did need to improve and after some recent flak with the tech-tubers they seem to have listened.

Well for me the chipset drivers have been broken. They don't uninstall cleanly. Then when you retry to install the new ones you get a 'the account already exists' message.

A big mess. And not just one set of drivers either. This is the last three sets for me.

I found a 'fix' which I don't like. Reinstall the old drivers... which thankfully go through successfully and then install the new ones over top. But I hate installing over the top. It feels dirty.

Being able to uninstall drivers is basics.

Caporegime

Agreed, sort of.... Yes AMD do have this issue with sortware, at least early on, the BIOS in the original Zen motherboards was flaky, i had multiple issues with drivers when i first got my 5700XT.

I still use the now 3+ year old Motherboard with my Zen 2 Ryzen 3600 and it is rock solid, it has not put a foot wrong in more than 2 years both now and with the Ryzen 1600 that was originally in it, i haven't touched the BIOS in more than 2 years other than when installing the 3600.

As for the GPU, still not "completely forget about it" perfect, but again the problems i had with it initially are now gone, the drivers are pretty solid now.

AMD are slow to get the software right and they need to fix that.

Associate
Then when you retry to install the new ones you get a 'the account already exists' message.

What on earth is this... In all the years I've been building PCs, I have never seen a message like that when installing drivers. What account? That makes no sense.

Also, installing over the top is what these chipset drivers are designed to do. If you try to uninstall, by the time you reboot, Windows will already be attempting to install the drivers from Windows Update before you even try to install the latest AMD package.

You are causing yourself a whole heap of trouble doing it your way and I am not in the least surprised that you are having issue.

Soldato
That is my fear I'm not gonna deny it. AMD will obviously have to spill the beans on this soon for their board partners so this nugget of info is essentially the missing link along with the 'so how much ya want for dat'. All the noise around performance is just that noise totally unverifiable and highly opinionated.

A bit worrying,BUT,if they are going for a "small die" strategy they could try disruptive pricing like with the HD4870.

Soldato
What on earth is this... In all the years I've been building PCs, I have never seen a message like that when installing drivers. What account? That makes no sense.

Also, installing over the top is what these chipset drivers are designed to do. If you try to uninstall, by the time you reboot, Windows will already be attempting to install the drivers from Windows Update before you even try to install the latest AMD package.

You are causing yourself a whole heap of trouble doing it your way and I am not in the least surprised that you are having issue.

I disable my ethernet drivers to stop this 'feature'.

And no... it is a know issue when is known about on the AMD website. Let me show:

Via this I found this:

Potential Errors and Solutions
Provided below are the solutions to potential errors that may be encountered during the chipset driver install/uninstall process:

• “Error 1720” – This error occurs when there are two Windows MSI installer processes running concurrently. The Windows MSI handler only supports one install at a time, it can be resolved by closing the other MSI installer process within the Task Manager.
  • “Error 1316” – This error commonly occurs when anti-virus software other than Windows Defender block the chipset driver installation, as the driver modifies critical system components. Please temporarily disable the anti-virus software and try the installation again. Another possible solution to resolve error 1316 is to clear the system Temp folder before installing the chipset drivers. This can be done by running the Windows Disk Cleanup utility, for how-to instructions please refer to this Microsoft article.
  • “Error opening the installation log file” – This is a known Windows OS issue. To work around this problem, please refer to this Microsoft article.
My issue is the 1316.

The only thing is I don't use third party antivirus.

---

Do a Google for error 1316 and your see the 'account already exists' problem.

It's not me it's AMD. I'm not a newb user. I'm a power user so I know what I'm doing thanks.

You're welcome.

Associate
I disable my ethernet drivers to stop this 'feature'.

And no... it is a know issue when is known about on the AMD website. Let me show:

Via this I found this:

Potential Errors and Solutions
Provided below are the solutions to potential errors that may be encountered during the chipset driver install/uninstall process:

• “Error 1720” – This error occurs when there are two Windows MSI installer processes running concurrently. The Windows MSI handler only supports one install at a time, it can be resolved by closing the other MSI installer process within the Task Manager.
  • “Error 1316” – This error commonly occurs when anti-virus software other than Windows Defender block the chipset driver installation, as the driver modifies critical system components. Please temporarily disable the anti-virus software and try the installation again. Another possible solution to resolve error 1316 is to clear the system Temp folder before installing the chipset drivers. This can be done by running the Windows Disk Cleanup utility, for how-to instructions please refer to this Microsoft article.
  • “Error opening the installation log file” – This is a known Windows OS issue. To work around this problem, please refer to this Microsoft article.
My issue is the 1316.

The only thing is I don't use third party antivirus.

---

Do a Google for error 1316 and your see the 'account already exists' problem.

It's not me it's AMD. I'm not a newb user. I'm a power user so I know what I'm doing thanks.

You're welcome.

It's common to find recommendations to disable AV software when installing drivers. Any drivers. A 'power user' would or should know this. Blaming AMD for something your AV program is doing, it ridiculous. Top tip, disable your AV or get a better one.

---
You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom