• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
They need no bother as he is not exactly unbiased in the past, depends how much nvidia butter him up with - maybe a leather jacket and free cloud gaming account.. :)

The only guy I have ever actively told youtube I’m not interested in. Can’t remember why I didn’t like him but I have no desire to start watching him again.

Soldato
I skipped the 20 series as the performance uplift for the cost didn't make it a sensible purchase. I game at 4k and have done for many years. I may consider a 3080ti depending of perf uplift and of course associated cost.

Single GPU's are approaching to be able to deliver 4k with decent framerates and so what happens when decent FPS at 4k is reached? I guess you could stive for 240hz 4k but 4k 120hz will be enough resolution wise for most as the dream goal for graphics or associated ultrawide resolutions.

Before folk start calling that cards cant do 4k at sensible framerates, @ 4k you don't turn all game settings up to maximum. In fact many processing options are for lower resolutions to look better. So many game graphics options you actually turn off @4k, releasing processing power to increase framerates. Gfx card reviews to compare apples to apples leave everything on max and is not a fair representation of framerates when gaming at 4k.

Depending on relevant performance of the new gen it could be a card that will last me a good while for my resolution and my main games I regularly play. INsurgency Sandstorm, Squad and Post Scriptum.

Cant see folk with 2080ti's getting enough of a perf uplift with the 3000 cards and their associated price, depends what a 2nd hand 2080ti commands.

Soldato
Before folk start calling that cards cant do 4k at sensible framerates, @ 4k you don't turn all game settings up to maximum. In fact many processing options are for lower resolutions to look better. So many game graphics options you actually turn off @4k, releasing processing power to increase framerates. Gfx card reviews to compare apples to apples leave everything on max and is not a fair representation of framerates when gaming at 4k.

Out of curiosity what graphics options have you found to be unnecessary at 4k?

Soldato
Funny, the guy who runs the Tech Deals YT channel was only recently saying 4k resolution was for showing the higher detail settings of games better, which of course means lower frame rates anyway.

I'll probably be looking at the 3080 even at 1440p, depending on price/performance of course

Soldato
Out of curiosity what graphics options have you found to be unnecessary at 4k?

Not so much unnecessary but low settings - off the top of my head

Anti Aliasing (AA)
Blur
Sharpening
Depth of field
Bloom
Vignette

Every game should have settings fettled with to get the balance of high refresh and resolution. Some settings make little difference visually but free up processing power.

Depends what type of game you are playing. Shooters you'll want the clearest view especially for distance and ability to pick out movement in the distance, other game styles not so much.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I turn off AA

I can usually turn AA off as the higher pixel density makes it unnecessary.

What? And your games do not like like garbage doing this? And here I was nearly convinced that all games need some form of AA at 4K and thus TAA/FXAA together with 4K = Native :p:D

Jokes aside I am the same, many games I get away with not needing AA, so I save on fps and the game looks better without having vaseline smeared all across the image. Best example of this from the top of my head is the Tomb Raider games. The last 3 of them all look perfectly fine with no AA whatsoever.

Not so much unnecessary but low settings - off the top of my head

Anti Aliasing (AA)
Blur
Sharpening
Depth of field
Bloom
Vignette

My list:
  • Anti Aliasing (Still need it on for some games, Dishonoured 2 comes to mind).
  • Motion blur
  • Depth of field (DoF)
  • Film grain
  • Chromatic aberration
  • Vignette
  • Lens flare

There maybe more, but these are the ones from the top of my head.

Associate
Most things like motion blur, dof, film grain, chromatic aberration, vignette and lens flare will make negligible difference in your FPS.

With AA, it makes sense at higher resolutions to turn it off, as there is less need.
But still, 120fps/hz @ 4K will hopefully become a standard not too long from now, and hopefully the PS5 and such push this forward.

If I'm playing a game for graphics, I'd rather have shaders and detail up at a lower resolution, then a higher resolution with less detail - if getting comparable frame rates.

Associate
I cannot clarify because he did not specify. Here's the video:

"To be 50% faster than a 2080Ti a Big Navi needs to be 350% faster than a 5700 XT than it currently is..." wtf?? :confused:

So he's saying in layman's terms 3.5x the perf of of Navi in a 5700 XT, not sure what figures he is referring too but its not framerate surely

Soldato
"To be 50% faster than a 2080Ti a Big Navi needs to be 350% faster than a 5700 XT than it currently is..." wtf?? :confused:

So he's saying in layman's terms 3.5x the perf of of Navi in a 5700 XT, not sure what figures he is referring too but its not framerate surely

Yeah I didn't get that either. In passmark scores (https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html), the 2080ti is 21,658. So +50% is 32,487. A 5700xt is 16,730 so performance would need to be about 200% (+100%, i.e double).

Caporegime
Some of these are also old games tarted up. I seriously think the 2000 series was a bad time to get a card, period.

How can you even judge that? Surely it completely depends on what someone's existing card was/their needs at the time? :confused:

If you wanted a new gpu (ie you didn't have one before), shortly after the 2000 series came out, why would it be a bad time to buy a 2000 series card.

You could say the same about every generation.

Last edited:
Associate
I skipped the 20 series as the performance uplift for the cost didn't make it a sensible purchase. I game at 4k and have done for many years. I may consider a 3080ti depending of perf uplift and of course associated cost.

Single GPU's are approaching to be able to deliver 4k with decent framerates and so what happens when decent FPS at 4k is reached? I guess you could stive for 240hz 4k but 4k 120hz will be enough resolution wise for most as the dream goal for graphics or associated ultrawide resolutions.

Depending on relevant performance of the new gen it could be a card that will last me a good while for my resolution and my main games I regularly play. INsurgency Sandstorm, Squad and Post Scriptum.

Cant see folk with 2080ti's getting enough of a perf uplift with the 3000 cards and their associated price, depends what a 2nd hand 2080ti commands.
When your card/s can do 4K dial all settings up to the max. Games will get MORE demanding not less, 4K is the new 1080p starting in 2020!

Soldato
Most things like motion blur, dof, film grain, chromatic aberration, vignette and lens flare will make negligible difference in your FPS.

It all adds up. But I think you're missing an important distinction. What works on a 27" 4K monitor won't necessarily work on a 42" 4k monitor. A 27" 4K monitor has a much higher pixel density which obviates the need for some post-processing, but 4K on a 42" monitor has a much lower pixel density and is in need of those post-processing effects.

Back
Top Bottom