• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia partners discontinued GTX285 and GTX275

Soldato
Ati killing of Nvidia cards lol

Why can't they just release the god damn cards and stay in competition!!!

The lead time in developing a card like this is 18 months.. the bad decisions back then are just coming apparent now - so now all they can do is ride the bomb in a Dr. Lovegood style on to annihilation.

Soldato
nVidia backstabbing partners?

It appears that recently only bad news regarding nVidia is released. Last week it appeared that the GeForce GTX 285 card was granted the end-of-life status and that the GeForce GTX 275 and GTX 260 are to follow shortly. Hardware.Info research confirmed that there are indeed availability problems with the chips. It seems that the GeForce GTX 285 can no longer be ordered (for now), and that the GTX 275 and GTX 260 are distributed among partners scarcely. The result is that nVidia-partners such as Zotac, EVGA and Point of View will hardly have any mid-range and high-end cards available in the coming months.

It seems that when there's a large shortage of chips, nVidia prefers to keep its large OEM-customers happy, rather than its retail partners. Dell's website still shows the XPS 730x game-PC, which is equipped with a GeForce GTX 285. Contacting Dell told us that the system can still be ordered without any issues. While in the retail market, no sign of a GeForce GTX 285 is to be found, Dell appears to have them in stock.

A press release of HP also reached us today, reporting on its new Pavilion Elite High Performance Edition. HP claims that this system will exclusively feature the GeForce GTX 260 Special Edition up to January 2010. Contacting the manufacturer revealed that the GTX 260 card is a model with 1792 MB of memory, a version that can not be ordered by nVidia partners. While several brands have trouble acquiring thecards, HP sees it as an opportunity to claim exclusivity.

By the looks of it, the last quarter of 2009 will be harsh for several nVidia partners. The management of XFX appears to have had a perfect timing when the manufacturer started cooperating with AMD/ATI earlier this year.
http://www.hardware.info/en-US/news/ymicmJqSwpeaapY/nVidia_backstabbing_partners/

Associate
This all seems vey silly to me. If Nvidia are starting to start mass production off their new cards it doesnt seem strange to stop making there current top end cards?

It just normall buiness? Think about when would they make there new cards? Build a new factory? this would be waste also from price point 260 would be waste making now any way. look at 4870 - 4890? I take it ATI are mass producing these at the moment? or if they are I can see them going bust soon as who would buy them?

Realisticly all the partners will know at the moment what is due to come out and when (a lot more than we do) If Nvidia was going bust then surely they would be making a new card.

Personal I think over the last few years Nvidia fan boys have been worse... Now tbh I think ATI fanboys are a lot worse. Why would you want your only rival to die? do you really think if that happened that ATI would continue to push forward with better tech?

I honestly think we need to wait till new cards come out before we judge who has one this round of Cards

look at Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii, first to market isnt always best. Some times rushing to market first is because your product isnt as good and is to try get them early sells

Soldato
This all seems vey silly to me. If Nvidia are starting to start mass production off their new cards it doesnt seem strange to stop making there current top end cards?

It just normall buiness? Think about when would they make there new cards? Build a new factory? this would be waste also from price point 260 would be waste making now any way. look at 4870 - 4890? I take it ATI are mass producing these at the moment? or if they are I can see them going bust soon as who would buy them?

Realisticly all the partners will know at the moment what is due to come out and when (a lot more than we do) If Nvidia was going bust then surely they would be making a new card.

Personal I think over the last few years Nvidia fan boys have been worse... Now tbh I think ATI fanboys are a lot worse. Why would you want your only rival to die? do you really think if that happened that ATI would continue to push forward with better tech?

I honestly think we need to wait till new cards come out before we judge who has one this round of Cards

look at Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii, first to market isnt always best. Some times rushing to market first is because your product isnt as good and is to try get them early sells

There is just one flaw that Partners know of following products before the EOL of the current & from all indication & the fact is that there is such drama over it seems they have nothing to follow up with.

A new rival would take there place, it happens all the time.

Soldato
I'm sure the partners will know what is happening. Sure, it sucks. But maybe Nvidia are pushing out Fermi. They claim it will be available by the end of the year. I know they say they only use A2 or A3 silicon in chips, and that fake Fermi had A1 silicon on it. But as it was fake, how can we not be sure that Nvidia are keeping it all under wraps?

They know what they need to follow. They have known for a while. I except we will see the first Fermi based gaming cards out around the end of the year.

Nvidia can't let its partners down for too long. Otherwise, it will have no Nvidia only partners left! They might be making some stupid choices, but they aren't that stupid.

Soldato
Nvidia partners order huge quantities of Fermi chips

Partners anticipate high success rate

Nvidia partners have high hopes that the company's GF100 / "GT300" / Fermi chip will end up as the excellent seller many enthusiasts have been hoping for and have already ordered some huge quantities of it.

The reasons behind such risky decisions is quite clear. The GT200 family is not as widely available anymore and it seems that probable that someone at Nvidia messed up with 55nm wafer orders. We assume this mainly because Nvidia didn’t expect to have such strong demand in Q3 and Q4 and therefore partners are hoping that Fermi can remediate the situation.

On another note, supply partners have to be the early birds with their orders because once Nvidia shows its Fermi supply to the entire seller market, the waiting line to get chips might already be too long. It is not that Nvidia partners have much of a choice though, as the GT200 series is slowly being discontinued and Fermi is supposed to fill the gap.

Nvidia and its partners believe that Fermi should destroy Radeon HD 5870 and HD 5850 sales, but this is only after it starts shipping. Not to mention, this strongly depends on the supply quantities that Nvidia can deliver. Until then, ATI will be making quite a lot of money on its 58x0 and 57x0 series.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15955/1/

Caporegime

Its all relative, a high quantity of orders for a mid or low end part, would be millions, a high quantity on a 5870/380GTX might only be 5,000, and a high quantity of say, 8800 ultra's, might be 500.

With nothing else to produce, what exactly would they be ordering, but ordering, and recieving, aren't close to the same thing.

AS for EOL'ing being a big deal, with a new product coming, its not, but theres still normally some supply somewhere in the channel to keep things ticking till a release, the ideal being the last card being sold the evening before the new cards are released and in stock. The medium case scenario is having too many and selling off several thousand for cheaper than should be, thats not great but not bad. The entirely worst case scenario is running out before your cards out, the longer before the worse, and simply not selling cards.

But this is the problem, when the 5870 launched, the 4870/4850 became the new midrange cards, they were still a viable option.

When Fermi launches, it will be £350-550 realistically, it will make up 2% of their sales if they are lucky, but wheres the midrange? Right now, at £130 for a 260gtx, £150 for a 275gtx, they may be the fastest cards Nvidia have, but they are still midrange cards in this market.

So the reality is they aren't selling mid, or high end products anymore, and they only have a high end on the horizon for at best, another month away, at worst 3-4 months away. Their "mid range" version, will almost certainly not fall into the same price bracket as their current 260-285gtx cards either, meaning they could be 6 months away from a viable £100-180 card to sell, and thats the bulk of their profits in that section.

Unlike ATi who fairly quickly replace a range top to bottom, Nvidia have lagged on their mid/low end parts heavily from the high end for the past 2-3 generations. While they had the 280-260 range out from £200-400, they were still selling 9800's as their midrange, and still today, sell them as their lower midrange as a GTS250.

This is the problem, Nvidia, unlike ATi, haven't stopped producing their high end until months, and months after their new high end launches, just sell them as midrange cards.

Associate
Don't forget Drunkenmaster that Nvidia have now just launched the 216 & 218 Low end cards for retail (previously being available to OEM manufacturers only) and are bad to underwhelming depending on the reviewer and in comparison with existing ATi and Nvidia offerings.

This means that there is weakness all 3 segments of the retail business.

I simply can't believe that Nvidia would wind down supply of the high end parts if Fermi high ends parts were not imminent, it makes no business sense. :confused:

Soldato
I simply can't believe that Nvidia would wind down supply of the high end parts if Fermi high ends parts were not imminent, it makes no business sense. :confused:

It's been speculated for a long time now that Nvidia are losing money on it's Gt200 line in which case it would make sense to wind production down until they can get their new products to market.

Caporegime
OP
Ouch, they taking a risk the partners expecting to sell millions of the GT300's, so ordering them up by the bucket load, be screwed when they see em stuck on shelves as they £500-£600, so no ones buying em, probably be even more as we got the VAT to go to about 20% as well as yet. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom