• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia partners discontinued GTX285 and GTX275

Soldato
ATI are in for a bit of a shock if they think Fermi is gonna be pushing out 1.5TFlop single precision...

Why? According to Nvidia's own whitepapers, Fermi's double precision performance is only half that of its single precision performance*. They also stated that its double precision performance is roughly 8x that of GT200's**. From that we can extrapolate:

taking 89 GFLOP as the GTX285's DP performance:

8x 89 = 712 * 2 = 1424 GFLOP.
Edit:
A more accurate calculation based on their actual theoretical performance figures would be:
8.53*89 = 759.467 * 2 = 1518.93 GFLOP

Even if you were to account for a more or less useless spare MUL unit per SP that they haven't there, that'd come to 2277 GFLOP. But then nothing on Fermi mentions that, so remains purely speculation.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/fermi_white_papers/NVIDIAFermiArchitectureWhitepaper.pdf <- it's all in there.

*256 FMA ops/clock double precision, 512 FMA ops/clock single precision.
** "8x the peak double precision floating point performance over GT200"

Or are Nvidia significantly underselling themselves here? If so how?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry if it's a repost. Just reading some of Charlie comments, he reckons Fermi is on to A2 silicon already.

Charlie Demerjian said:
To address it all at once.....

I think both articles are bull, and I am sticking by the same story (note the singular) that I have been saying all along. NV EOL'd the parts, but they are not saying it outright. They will pay for this if they are not communicating with the partners, and partners have to eat costs.

The whole 'we screwed up on orders' stuff is laughable, and I totally agree with Anand's take on the matter. NV is in a hole, and they are trying to pretend their way out. Pretend things aren't canceled. Pretend they have a real part coming. Pretend that all is happy. Pretend they aren't bleeding key engineers.

Last I heard a few days ago, the second spin of Fermi hadn't taped out yet. This means ~6 weeks till they get a new hot lot or three back, which would put things at Dec 1 or so. Even if they could get production silicon back in 4 weeks from there (almost impossible), they would not have anything to launch for this year.

Anything you see in 2009 is a PR stunt, period. If it is real at all. Then again, I have been saying that for how long? With data to back it up.

-Charlie

Last edited:
Man of Honour
First time I've agreed with charlie over anything... but as I've been saying recently - nvidias actions of late remind me of hitlers' last days in the bunker - giving orders to non-existant units, etc. etc.

They aren't really in that much of a hole tho... they can have GT300 parts out for a launch around March next year short of anything unexpected happening and while their market share might erode a little over that time they shouldn't lose too much as the high end parts only make a fairly small percentage of their entire lot.

Man of Honour
As for the TFlops I can't put a specific figure on it as there is too much data missing from the info I have so I can't account for performance increases due to other enhancements or changes to the architecture over the 285GTX.

Soldato
no one with any sense will buy a card from 300 to 400 quid, it's a total waste of money, especially considering that there are no really great PC games about to come out....... PC gaming right now is pretty crap....i'm actually considering halting my new build and switching to console.

the limit for next April will be 300 quid, no point spending any more when the games arent around

Man of Honour
Personally I like to play my games maxed out, at high res with a constant 60fps for single player and 100+fps for multi... so if the GT300 lets me do that with some of the new games coming out such as rage, etc. I'll happily spend £500-600 per card... aslong as they don't release a card thats 80% of the speed for half the money as they did with the 260GTX/280GTX.

Soldato
They aren't really in that much of a hole tho... they can have GT300 parts out for a launch around March next year short of anything unexpected happening and while their market share might erode a little over that time they shouldn't lose too much as the high end parts only make a fairly small percentage of their entire lot.

The problem is they have EOL almost their entire range, whilst ATI will have their full range of cards out by early next year since there is only their super high end and their low end left to launch, whilst Nvidia have no high, mid or low end stuff ready.

Soldato
no one with any sense will buy a card from 300 to 400 quid, it's a total waste of money, especially considering that there are no really great PC games about to come out....... PC gaming right now is pretty crap....i'm actually considering halting my new build and switching to console.

the limit for next April will be 300 quid, no point spending any more when the games arent around

loads of people are buying 5870s....some people buying 3 of them!

Personally 150 is my budget.

Soldato
Some people will spend £300-400 if they think it's going to get them better performance. For all we know, Fermi might be the best thing ever. They know what they need to beat. They have known for a while. Like I said in another thread, you can't rule out Nvidia. Anyone who does is foolish. They are expanding their horizons, expanding into new areas. It will make the company more secure in the future.

It will take time for Fermi to come out sure. But I imagine we will have a high-end part out end of this year/early this year. And the main-stream parts, in March as has been reported elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom