** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES (3090 / 3080 / 3070) NOW ONLINE AT OcUK **

Associate
Word of advice though. Dont spam every forum page as your comments/posts will just get deleted and probably end up getting banned. Contribute, dont spam #OCCREED

This is tough luck as an 'introverted' customer of OC (bought ~£750 worth of bits over the last few years for myself and recommended OC to multiple friends whom I build PCs for) desiring a new video card for myself. I don't do forums or posts easily but am trying to only post when I've got something relevant to say but this stuff doesn't come naturally to me, yet I see no alternative.

I can understand why it's happening but it is painful to be in the pool of real customer with not enough forum activity.

To be fair, I'd never spam stuff to get access, that's wrong, but it's going to take me over a year I bet to get enough posts to access... and hopefully they contribute to this cool community where I've been lurking.

It could be worse, I'm still enjoying the 1070, it's not quite obsolete yet, I just can't drive the 144hz monitor I got myself from here for Christmas!

Associate
its great seeing more card available but prices are still way too high

They are, you will pay £1000 or more for a 3070 or £1800 for a 3080.

That's absurd, but on the positive side they are there and not selling instantly, this will hopefully be the start of more stock and then lower prices.

Soldato
They are, you will pay £1000 or more for a 3070 or £1800 for a 3080.

That's absurd, but on the positive side they are there and not selling instantly, this will hopefully be the start of more stock and then lower prices.
3070s in stock for £650 and 3080 for around £1200 so prices have dropped somewhat.

Soldato
no advertising other sites, so I shan;t name it, but if that's the site i think it is, it has scalped (heavily) all through the lockdown and then can gth if they think I'll buy anything from them ever again. Particularly a card that was £550-600 rrp at launch for £829 - that is at least 40% over rrp.

Associate
no advertising other sites, so I shan;t name it, but if that's the site i think it is, it has scalped (heavily) all through the lockdown and then can gth if they think I'll buy anything from them ever again. Particularly a card that was £550-600 rrp at launch for £829 - that is at least 40% over rrp.

All sites have sold the cards well above MRSP, including OC. Pretty sure its not scalping, they are only selling for what they pay for them from distributors.

Soldato
All sites have sold the cards well above MRSP, including OC. Pretty sure its not scalping, they are only selling for what they pay for them from distributors.
While I'm sure the prices of cards has increased you can bet the retailers have slapped a healthy margin on top especially after seeing the prices people were willing to pay from scalpers.

Soldato
Some set the trend that encouraged others to copy. That site we shan't name being one of the worst. There was also a strange coincidence in that it would frequently list cards for really high prices shortly after non-scalping retailers had listed them and then gone out of stock to the script kiddies within seconds. A consistent coincidence over several weeks and months that kept repeating itself. Most bizarre when you consider the odds of that. It would be really interesting to have been able to do a serial number trace.

Associate
Some set the trend that encouraged others to copy. That site we shan't name being one of the worst. There was also a strange coincidence in that it would frequently list cards for really high prices shortly after non-scalping retailers had listed them and then gone out of stock to the script kiddies within seconds. A consistent coincidence over several weeks and months that kept repeating itself. Most bizarre when you consider the odds of that. It would be really interesting to have been able to do a serial number trace.

Thats all speculation.

OC themselves are selling a 3070 card for nearly £1000 and they have stated they are paying over the top themselves.

The fact that these overpriced cards are sitting on the sites unsold would indicate that the sellers arent selling them for massive margins.

Soldato
Thats all speculation.

OC themselves are selling a 3070 card for nearly £1000 and they have stated they are paying over the top themselves.

The fact that these overpriced cards are sitting on the sites unsold would indicate that the sellers arent selling them for massive margins.

All i can say is in Feb/March four stores were still selling at RRP (or very close to it) and saying the wholesale prices were unaffected. Others were increasingly raising their prices in the same period, to the point where the aforementioned site was 15% more at the start of March and 30% more by the end of march. It was at this point those four sites started to crumble and hiked their prices by 15-20%, or more. During the intervening period stores that had sat in the middle had already hiked their prices to follow the trend. I could post charts and screenshots to demonstrate all this but it would no-doubt fall foul of the not mentioning competitors thing. I won't comment on where OCuk was in that spectrum, but the net result now is a card that rrp at £600 is now £950 pretty much wherever you go. I struggle to believe wholesale prices will have risen by 50%.

Soldato
Personally I think the 3070 is the poor relation. You need to aim for a 3080 or if you dont need to spend that much a 3060ti. The latter with a little overclock is approaching 3070 stock speed and runs quieter and cooler.
yes, but a bird in the hand etc. Plus for some things the 3070 has a bit more grunt presumably by virtue of extra shaders and tensor cores etc.

Back
Top Bottom