• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to power Asus "oculus ready" PC's

Soldato
OP
Amusing seeing two conflicting reports like this

oculus' specs are just any PC with a GTX970 or 290 or above, with CPU to match, any PC maker can just slap on the "oculus ready" logo by including one of these two cards or more in the options

the reports aren't conflicting its just that taken out of context the AMD alienware announcement looks like something it isn't, as alienware currently predominantly offer Nvidia cards, so these "alienware oculus ready PC's" will still have nvidia also as an option

Last edited:
Associate
In relation to both, does Oculus Ready come with added support, or is it just a spec threshold label?

Interesting we may have lines drawn like Alienware-AMD and Asus-NV, makes reviews of who's 'best' at VR very interesting.

Soldato
OP
Not damage control no, just highlighting how un-newsworthy it is that a PC maker is going to be selling PC's with GPU options

Oculus ready just means a minimum of a GTX 970 or 290, but as usual AMD PR is trying to suggest something else

Soldato
OP
yeah, I did also post this :)

oculus' specs are just any PC with a GTX970 or 290 or above, with CPU to match, any PC maker can just slap on the "oculus ready" logo by including one of these two cards or more in the options

the reports aren't conflicting its just that taken out of context the AMD alienware announcement looks like something it isn't, as alienware currently predominantly offer Nvidia cards, so these "alienware oculus ready PC's" will still have nvidia also as an option

as there's an AMD VR thread, people could have started discussing Nvidia VR as well I guess

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/09/22/vr-laptops-virtual-reality/
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/08/11/designworks-vr/
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/08/13/gameworks-vr-2/
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/09/25/vr-epic-time-sweeney/

this one I find particularly interesting

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/08/10/stanford-nvidia-demo-more-immersive-comfortable-vr-display/

Last edited:
Soldato
Great, another thread ruined by arguing. With all of the posts removed it hardly makes any sodding sense.

Any way, I didn't know Asus were big in the pre built rig department. I bet Nvidia are gutted that AMD got Dell (with Alienware).

Only Asus rigs I've ever seen ready made were either bottom of the floor spec or ridiculously over priced monsters.

We'll see I guess. Maybe this is a chance for Asus to start making pre builts.

I'd still be gutted I lost out to Alienware though.

Mobster
Soldato
Great, another thread ruined by arguing. With all of the posts removed it hardly makes any sodding sense.

Any way, I didn't know Asus were big in the pre built rig department. I bet Nvidia are gutted that AMD got Dell (with Alienware).

Only Asus rigs I've ever seen ready made were either bottom of the floor spec or ridiculously over priced monsters.

We'll see I guess. Maybe this is a chance for Asus to start making pre builts.

I'd still be gutted I lost out to Alienware though.

Alienware are bought by people that generally dont know what they are doing. If they did they would build their own. Nvidia are probably just as gutted they missed out on this as they were when they missed out on the consoles. That lost console sales hit them hard and the GPU manufacturer that won that are flourishing.

Soldato
Alienware are bought by people that generally dont know what they are doing. If they did they would build their own. Nvidia are probably just as gutted they missed out on this as they were when they missed out on the consoles. That lost console sales hit them hard and the GPU manufacturer that won that are flourishing.

Really? The first PC I ever built was a ZX80 from a kit. My uncle did the soldering, I did the rest. I was seven years old.

Since then I haven't stopped building PCs. However, I use Alienware for the warranty. The last PC I built myself was just over a year ago and cost me £3500. Within a year the parts started to fail (motherboard died) and MSI don't stock X79 boards any more so I was screwed.

With the way OEMs are about RMA (and how utterly crap they are) I decided to go with Dell who offer a stellar service and always keep replacement parts, long after they first introduced the unit.

So no, Alienwares are not bought by people who don't have a clue. I've got two.

They're mostly bought by people who have a lot of money and want a PC.

Bottom line though is I bet Alienware sell far more units than Asus.

Soldato
OP

they haven't lost out on anything, alienware will still be offering Nvidia GPU's, its just that instead of offering ONLY Nvidia GPU's they are going back to offering both Nvidia and AMD

Andy, haven't you modified your alienware, so the warranty is void anyway?

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

lol. Not true at all.

I have been building my own rigs for like 15 years now and I owned a Alienware laptop in the past. Had it for around a year and it served it's purposes.

Back
Top Bottom