NVMe drive slowly dies in motherboard slots but is fine in PCIe expansion card

Associate
Hello. I was wondering if someone a lot smarter than me could help me understand as google has thus far turned up nothing I can grasp.

A while back i bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive to insert into one of 3 m.2 slots on my Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 motherboard as a boot drive.

However after a few days I started getting BSOD's for which I remember trying multiple things to fix such as drive scans/repairs. Eventually resorting to reinstalling windows at which point the windows installation would start to crash and get worse and worse each time I tried to reinstall. This happened with all 3 slots.

I bought an ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card v2 4 x M.2 Socket 3 to put the drive in and everything worked fine. I'm just curious as why all 3 m.2 slots behaved that way and also would much prefer the aesthetics of having the drive inserted into the motherboard.

While in the motherboard the drive had a heatsink over the top and the temps seemed fine while I was able to read them.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this as it's been bugging me for a while.

Update: Updated bios and tried drive in the motherboard again. So far so good. However last time it was a few days before things started going wrong. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom