nvme ssd and heatsink query

Soldato
Hi, just doing a build and it's my first time dealing with nvme. The mobo (MSi x570 ace) has heatsink covers with sticky pads on them. The ssd is Samsung 970 Evo Plus. It doesn't come with its own heatsink but has a sticky paper label showing the product info etc across the top.

Do I:
  1. Use it without the heatsink as it's only gen3 not gen4
  2. Use it with heatsink leaving label in place
  3. Try to remove the Samsung label and then apply the heatsink?

Associate
I have two and left the label on them both. Note if you do decide to remove it then it's only the controller chip you need to keep cool (to prevent throttling), the memory chips actually need to be fairly warm to function properly. In practice I find the two Samsung drives I have (2TB and 1TB) work well enough with the heatsink pressed against the label.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. I must admit 1 is tempting but just realised it will be covered partly be the CPU cooler so I'll just go 2 from the start. Prevents me losing the cover too!

Soldato
Got to question how effective these heatsinks can be.

semi sticky thermal tape, taping onto some label that is again semi sticky. Sounds like a sandwich of insulation pressed against layers and air bubble makes good overal insulation...

If only someone has gone and tested these out...

definitely stick with 1) and bring some air flow into play even if you got partial coverage.

3) is risky as you are voiding warranty.

2) just makes no sense

Associate
I just bench'd my two Samsung NVME drives (1TB and 2TB) hard for the last 15mins using CrystalDisk and the temps barely moved (monitored using Argus Monitor), maybe temps were up 1 deg. I was expecting a bigger rise in temps to be honest.

Associate
1 degree rise sounds totally wrong
I would double check that
With hwinfo or Crystal disk info etc

You're right, there are two sets of sensors on the drive, Argus is using the wrong one. HWinfo shows both sensors and temps rise on sensor #2 from ~55 at idle to 73 when it's thrashed for 10 mins.

edit: iirc it throttles at about 80C so it never reached that temperature. Might well do in Summer months though.

Soldato
You're right, there are two sets of sensors on the drive, Argus is using the wrong one. HWinfo shows both sensors and temps rise on sensor #2 from ~55 at idle to 73 when it's thrashed for 10 mins.

edit: iirc it throttles at about 80C so it never reached that temperature. Might well do in Summer months though.
you got heatsinks on them?
55 seems high at idle
mine are 38 and 42 and 46 at idle

Associate
They are inside a force ventilated (fan) recess on the MB, the top of which has those heat transfer pads pressing against the controller and memory chips. There's no room to add extra heatsinks. Temps don't cause me any concern TBH. Not sure which sensor refers to which area of the drive, I assume one is for the controller and the other maybe for the memory. 50 is a good temp for the memory - they need that heat to work correctly.

Back
Top Bottom