NY Times and Sarah Jeong racism row

Caporegime
Surprised there wasn't a thread on this - anyway the NYT seems to have hired someone who has, at face value, made some overtly racist tweets regarding white people. This has played into the hands of the 4Chan types who went after James Gunn as they have kicked up a storm and the right wing media has called out the NYT over it... they're not budging though and have just issued a statement condemning the tweets.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/03/sarah-jeong-new-york-times-twitter-posts-racism

Old tweets in which Jeong, a reporter for the tech website the Verge who is of Korean heritage, criticized and made jokes about white people were resurfaced on a rightwing blog run by Jim Hoft.

One of the tweets said: “oh man it’s kind of sick how much joy i get out of being cruel to old white men”. Another read “are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins”.

Bit of a contrast to say the treatment of the Netflix boss who was unceremoniously sacked after he used the n-word, in a meeting about offensive words and then used it a second time in a HR meeting to discuss his previous use of the world in the meeting about offensive words....

Of course there has been the narrative pushed recently that racism should be redefined and doesn't apply to white people - the tweets from this individual and the NYT's response or lack of it would seem to play into that narrative too.

Further they seemed to be quite happy to hire then quickly get rid of another individual based on their statements made online:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...befriending-neo-nazis/?utm_term=.c453cb294b98

In this instance it is a "queer" journalists who has used derogatory terms relating to LGBTQ people (though not to attack them, especially as she is LGBTQ + used the n-word albeit in a way that is quite anti-racist:

"“At this point, as far as I’m concerned no one is a terrorist, in exactly the same way no human being is a ******”"

She's also referred to some internet troll/computer hacker type who is apparently a "white supremacist" as her "friend" - though this seems to be because she's reported on his case, seems to feel sorry for him and has written to him in prison rather than supporting any of his views.

So nothing that would be taken as being "Racist" per say even at face value.

I'm not sure what to make of it - I mean perhaps she was just venting at white people in general because of the hate she has received etc.. and she didn't really mean all white people. Perhaps that is true, I'd wager also that most of the alt right memes, Pepe the frog, the anti Semitic stuff etc.. is mostly just teenagers in their basement trying to be edgy etc.. though I suspect that that wouldn't wash so easily as an excuse.

Similarly some alt right type who receives hate (I'd wager most of the prominent youtubers etc.. do + death threats etc..) could cite that as an excuse and make similar statements.

This sort of stuff can have consequences, there are plenty of regular people who will have read about those tweets and then wondered why she's still got a job at the NYT. The NYT has also lost a bit of moral high ground, if someone is hired in future by a right wing organisation and some dodgy tweets surface then it would be a bit rich for the NYT to criticise, especially if a similar excuse is offered.

Soldato
I think this situation exposes that its not necessarily the person writing the tweet or their actions after i.e. if they apologise or not. But we're seeing how the establishment have manipulated the environment and their bias is being shown for the world to see that they haven't fired this person off immediately.

I think most people have made mistakes and typed something they wish they hadn't or had something taken the wrong way. We're only human.

But having a situation were only one group, white people, are held to a very high standard, while any other ethnic group can say what they want with no restriction is a recipe for eventual civil unrest imho.

Caporegime
The "alt"(far)-right continuing to look for angles to let their racist/misogynistic/xenophobic ideal's out is getting boring, if you want to say it, just say it already.

But yes, she should be fired and blacklisted.

Caporegime
A conservative Twitterer (Candice Owens is her name I think) repeated Sarah Jeong's quotes on Twitter but just replaced white with Jewish and was immediately suspended.

It just goes back to what I've been saying in other threads that discrimination seems to have been turned on its head and everything that gets called racism when aimed towards minorities is apparently fine when aimed towards white people. It's quite dangerous because it's going to lead to the growth of the real "far right" that those on the left claim to hate so much. Ill-thought-out leftist EU policies are already pushing everyone in Europe further and further right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did everyone miss this bit?
Hoft published Jeong’s tweets on the Gateway Pundit, a far-right blog that often publishes entirely false stories that bolster the Trump administration. Hoft run a number of false stories about Hillary Clinton’s health and Democrats committing voter fraud, and the site claimed that video footage of a white supremacist driving into protestors at Charlottesville was faked by the state. The Gateway Pundit was granted White House press accreditation soon after Trump’s inauguration and Hoft regularly attends briefings.
Its like something bad sneaked into a conversation.

Caporegime

A weirdly personal attempt by the author to discredit a source?

.but given now everyone can jsut point to the guardian as a source for what she wrote the fact that the first outlet to pick it up is a crap one is not an issue.

Caporegime
A weirdly personal attempt by the author to discredit a source?

.but given now everyone can jsut point to the guardian as a source for what she wrote the fact that the first outlet to pick it up is a crap one is not an issue.

To be fair, a once in a blue moon article that conveniently follows your bias is not worthy of looking beyond what is clearly a propoganda blog for the far-right numpties.

The Guardian and Indie could sure use some more centrist's but whatever, i barely read them because they generally annoy me.

Caporegime
OP

Nope, not missed, I mentioned that there were alt right types trying to male a meal out of it but regardless she still wrote the tweets and the fact she did is being reported in more than just alt right blogs etc...

Caporegime
To be fair, a once in a blue moon article that conveniently follows your bias is not worthy of looking beyond what is clearly a propoganda blog for the far-right numpties.

The Guardian and Indie could sure use some more centrist's but whatever, i barely read them because they generally annoy me.

Right but it seems pointless to mention it in the article.

It should really be changed to now read "the story has been reported and confirmed in the NYT, the guardian, and independent" and then they can list off some stuff they're famous for.

Seems weird to focus on the initial site

Soldato
Dj8sWTnXgAEaIvH.jpg

She's a nasty human being, totally abhorrent.

Man of Honour
Surely nobody would expect consistency and fairness from any ideology of irrational prejudice and discrimination? X-ists are always hypocrites, it's part of the ideology. Blaming the target group likewise. No matter which strain of irrational prejudice is fashionable, the basic idea remains unchanged - the same actions are completely different depending on which biological group is targetted. Whitism, feminism, anti-semitism, whatever. Same basic idea, same beliefs, same behaviours (limited only by the amount of power held).

Caporegime
I do wonder though, the issue with Asian's in America is that they're actually typically even more ignored when it comes to thing's like University admission in regards to getting African-American's into education and such.

So i wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a lot of such people simply angry at how their group of people are being ignored, seemingly legally by a huge swath of organisations simply because their attainment ability is the highest. Then they start meeting a bunch of upper-middle class/elite men who've been allowed an easy life because their parent's could afford it with their connections/wealth who are less than polite to people that have had do get past more than a few barriers. Even as a white person, you'd feel a bit miffed.

Caporegime
Change the word 'white' to 'black' and everyone would be calling for her head. Keep her on and riots would occur.

Racism will never end in the US, because the 'victims' don't want it to end. They want revenge for what happened hundreds of years ago, and they won't stop until there's a race war. I predict 2020 when Trump wins again. I'm glad I'm on the other side of the Atlantic...

Back
Top Bottom