o2 Broadband - Router Settings

Associate
I'm being switched over to O2 broadband tomorrow so I'd better start to prepare. :p

From the O2 "Use your own router" article I found this:

Code:
    * ISP name: O2 Home Broadband

* Multiplexing method: LLC-Based

* VPI: 0

* VCI: 101

* Username: leave blank

* Password: leave blank

* Domain name: leave blank

* IP address type: this depends on whether you chose our static IP address option or not:

- If you didn't choose our static IP address option, set this to dynamic IP

- If you did choose our static IP address, enter the IP address printed in your welcome letter

* DNS servers: choose to get these dynamically from the Internet provider

* NAT: enable

My router is a Linksys WAG320N(http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WAG320N)

8a4e00untitled.png

Just wondering what I put for Encapsulation and QoS, and does anyone know where I can find Line Attenuation? :p

edit: as I'm planning to use my router instead of the o2 one, should I clone the O2 routers mac address?

Last edited:
Associate
Encapsulation: RFC 2684 Bridged
Multiplexing: LLC
QoS Type: UBR
PCR Rate: (Leave Blank)
SCR Rate: (Leave Blank)
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 101
DSL Modulation: Multimode or ADSL2+

edit: I think this router page provides line stats on the Linksys: http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?next_file=adsl_driver.htm

edit2: I would recommend you make a sync speed comparison with the provided O2Box; you might find the Linksys is slower. If this is true and you are committed to using the Linksys it might be worth asking O2 to adjust the INP setting for use with the 3rd party router.

Last edited:
Associate
With regard to DLM in the "first ten days", this will only have relevance if you have signed up to the O2 Access service because you are not on an unbundled exchange. In this case you should hook up with the provided O2Box and keep your eye on the line stats for your own sanity. If speeds start changing wildly you could get further advice from O2 or cancel the contract under their "happiness" guarantee.

If you are on an unbundled exchange and have signed up to their Standard, Premium or Pro package then there will be no messing around with sync speeds due to changes in the DSLAM profile; it should be fine from the off. In this case I would start with the O2Box in the test port of the master socket to get a baseline speed, give it a night like that then try the Linksys the following day.

edit: With 47 dB downstream attenuation I'd be hopeful that you sync at 7 Mb/s or greater with room for tweaking.

Last edited:
Associate
It's Mb/s, lower case 'b'. I'm not promising of course (;)), my estimates are based off some favourable sync speeds that others have reported on the Be/O2 network with a similar attenuation. I guess it tells us what is possible.

I should also try to stop using derivatives of the word "tweak" as it has been pulled up already. It's a kind of layman's term and what I really should have said is something like "profile adjustment".

Associate
OP
Alright. Internet was down for over 24 hours because apparently BT installed their equipment wrong in the exchange.
Just got connected 5 mins ago, here are the results:

BT:
752891574.png

O2:
759442513.png

Well... it's certainly not 7Mb/s, but it'll do :p

Associate
OP
3ebc001.png

5e7e002.png

Code:
--- System Information ---
Vendor: Linksys
ModelName: WAG320N
Firmware Version: 1.00.08 , 2009-08-27T19:37:13
Boot Version: 1.06
Hardware Version: 0.01

--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version:  AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
DSL VPI/VCI:         0/101
DSL Status:          Showtime
DSL Mode:            ADSL2+
DSL Channel:         
DSL Upstream Rate:   1209 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 2275 Kbps

Down         up    
DSL Noise Margin:     7.2 dB       6.0 dB
DSL Attenuation:     48.5 dB      26.7 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  16.7 dBm     12.4 dBm

--- Wireless Information ---
Wireless Driver Version: 5.10.85.0.cpe4.402.4
Wireless Status: Enabled
Wireless Wide Channel: 9
Wireless Standard Channel: 11- 2.462GHZ
Wireless SSID: Gnasher

--- Dynamic Information ---
LAN Mac Address: 00:22:6B:F5:6D:52
WAN Mac Address: 00:26:44:11:33:A8
Wireless Mac Address: 00:22:6B:F5:6D:53

---

Associate
Considering there are posts on the Be forum with people with around 7 Mb/s sync for that attenuation it isn't "about right" on face value IMO.

Neither is it about right based upon the fact that I have an even worse line at 59-60 dB attenuation and get 3.4 Mb/s on a 9 dB SNR profile, 3.9 Mb/s at 6 dB and 4.6 Mb/s at 3 dB on the BeBox. This has gone up to 4.9 Mb/s with an ex-Sky DG834GT and will hold days* of sync over 5 Mb/s when taking advantage of the DGTeam firmware.

* Tested for only two days with SNR Percentage adjustments and the usability was fine; throughput as expected and no latency problems.

edit: Have you tried the router O2 provided? Stats from http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have tried the O2 router, and it's exactly the same speed.

I've spoken to a friend who says that it should go up to ~8mbit then drop down to around 6 or 7 within a week or two.

Associate
I asked as I was curious as to what kind of error rate the O2 box was picking up after a few hours of uptime. Hence the link to the detailed stats page.

Associate
Have you tried the O2 box in the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket?

Apologies if there has just been a mix up in the use of terminology, but the back to basics approach is to remove the faceplate from the first BT telephone socket entering the house, the so-called "master socket", and assuming you have an NTE5 box then you can connect your microfilter into the test socket inside.

Have you got any telephone extensions around the house? Have you got a house alarm which is monitored? A Sky box connected to the telephone line? Using the test socket isolates these.

If you try the test socket, stats from the O2 box would be more useful than info from your Linksys. If sync rates are still below an acceptable or expected level (I'm going to bear in mind you probably won't get 7 Mb/s like some users with a comparable attenuation :)) then there could be a line problem to look in to.

BT NTE5 Socket
6dvg3p.png

If you've got the old type (68 mm width, with a capacitor visible inside) master socket then have to look to make sure there is nothing connected to terminals 1, 3, 4 and 6.

Associate
OP
My master socket is just a very thin plate on the wall, also, I don't have any alarms, sky boxes, etc. I'm not too sure if I should change the routers over as I was told not to disconnect the router at all for the first couple of weeks.

Associate
Is it right that you've got a solitary 68 mm width BT phone socket in the house, no extensions, and that you're on the O2 Access package?

Turns out there are a number of old style BT sockets without a capacitor inside, according to the Wiki page.

Back
Top Bottom